Author Topic: FPP driving P10 panels over Ethernet via a $30 ColorLight 5a-75B receiver board  (Read 9901 times)

Offline tkostansek

• Kudos: 0
dkulp
My Octoscoller boards have still not made it to me yet.  What would i need to do to FPP to setup for P5?  Is this a SSH session into the system instead of Gui?
and update the branch with your code?  Will it support the 384x192 on a single octoscoller and BBB?

my p5 panel is completely done.  Just wish those linsn cards would work.

[/size]T

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 12

It needs an entirely new image.  An update of the old image won't work as that's based on wheezy which won't work.   The code on my branch is entirely base on Jessie.  Some instructions for the new image are at:  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7354.0.html

Once the new image is used, it's all in GUI.   On the "LED Panels" tab, just select the proper panel type.   It's not the "type" that we normally refer to them as (P5, P10, etc...).  What matters is the size (32x16, 32x32, etc..) and the scan rate.   

384x192 WILL work on a single Octo.   However, with 1/16 scan panels, the refresh is not going to be very good without creative routing.  I'm assuming you are using 32x32 panels so 12x6 in size.   You will likely be tempted to use 6 outputs with 12 panels so that the octo/bbb can be stuck at an end.  That will work, but the refresh will likely suck.   If you can route things so that all 8 outputs are used with 9 panels per output, then refresh will be significantly better.   Either that or use the 32x32 1/8 scan panels (or do both).

Dan Kulp

Offline tkostansek

Im using the 64X32 P5 panels 1/16

Offline tkostansek

I'm using 6 outputs per board on linsn

Card1       Card2
1 > > >     1 > > >   
2 > > >     2 > > >
3 > > >     3 > > >
4 > > >     4 > > >
5 > > >     5 > > >
6 > > >     6 > > >

so on bbb  i would do

1 > > > > > >
2 > > > > > >
3 > > > > > >
4 > > > > > >
5 > > > > > >
6 > > > > > >

Offline dkulp

Yea.. that's the equivalent of 12 of the 32x32 panels per output.   Refresh will suck.    With the 64x32, options for re-arranging is more limited.  Dropping from 6 down to 5 per output will definitely help.   Latest code also allows dropping to 7 or 6 bit color which would also help.   The 1/16 scan panels have sooooo much "off time" that the flicker is quite noticeable when the panel counts get high.

Offline tkostansek

I just updated my BBB with [size=78%]bbb-fpp-20170724.zip[/size][/size]

i still dont see an option for 64X32

Offline dkulp

Go to the about.php page and hit the manual update.   The latest image is a couple weeks old now.

That said, the 64x32 panels are just 2 of the 32x32 panels stuck together.  Thus, you can use the 32x32 setting and each of your panels would be two panels in the grid.

Offline goverland

I spent about 4-5 hours trying various configurations. I am writing up a document on how to get it working (the way I did). It may not be THE way.
And you are correct, it is NOT in the UI at this time, it is under the hood manually in the .json file. NOTE: if you make any changes on the UI and click SAVE in the channel outputs section, your edits to the .json file are lost.

Willing to share what you have on the document?  Have my Colorlight and just got my P10s today.  I'm not doing anything big as this is my first lighting Christmas, just a two-sided 2x1 for a tune to Santa pole.

Thanks,
Greg

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 20
dkulp
My Octoscoller boards have still not made it to me yet.  What would i need to do to FPP to setup for P5?  Is this a SSH session into the system instead of Gui?
and update the branch with your code?  Will it support the 384x192 on a single octoscoller and BBB?

my p5 panel is completely done.  Just wish those linsn cards would work.

T

The linsn cards do work, however only in the test mode at the moment. The color light boards work as well -only in the test mode. You can play sequences on them but only through the test mode.

I am working on a document - and yes, I will update it some more and get it out there for others to get theirs going.

Offline tkostansek

Any updates on this project?
Haven't seen any posts in a couple weeks.

Offline JinglebellLights

I too had issues setting up the ColorLight cards and didn't get it done on the first try.  However, I got lucky as I just attended the InfoComm Show in Orlando and ColorLight was one of the exhibitors.

I had a conversation with Gary and his staff, and they were very accommodating and provided me with the key details I need to get my card(s) configured for my P6 Matrix Panels.

Here is the contact information of the person who helped me:
Gary Tong
Sales Manager Overseas Dept.
Beijing ColorLight Technology Co., LTD.
Mobile: +86 181 2604 6784
Tel: +86 755 86009353
E-Mail: gary@lednets.com
Web: www.colorlightinside.com

Note, they have a new website, and the URL links on this post are in the process of being deprecated.

One last thing, if anyone needs help setting up their ColorLignt cards, please contact me as I'm always willing to help.

Scott

I will be in contact thanks for the great info

Offline Setarcos

• Developer
  • Kudos: 6
Here is the channeloutputs.json for my 2x2 (128x64) P5 matrix using a ColorLight 5A-75B. It took me a while to get things straightened out to look right, but now things are looking great (Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECUiTw1kAo)

Note: This uses 64x32 panels instead of 2x 32x32 panels. Both seemed to work, but the configuration seemed a bit simpler to me this way.