Author Topic: FPP driving P10 panels over Ethernet via a $30 ColorLight 5a-75B receiver board  (Read 12582 times)

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22

That's kind of a complicated question.   There are certainly pro's and con's to both approaches.

Linsn/ColorLight cards certainly support a wider range of panels types such as 1/32 scan and P6 and such.  They also have a nice configuration utility to help detect the panel type, scan rate, etc... so you don't need to even know some of that information.   Since they've worked directly with the panel folks, these options have more exact timing based on the panels specs.   Some of the Linsn/Colorlight cards can also support larger than 96panel arrays and with cascading, can go even higher.

The Pi based matrix hat are (currently) much more limited.  They only support the 1/8 scan and some 1/16 scan panels.   With only 3 outputs, its also limited to 36 panels.   Also, some of the newer panels require SLOWER timing so there are some hacks required to enable those to prevent some ghosting.  Hopefully this year some time the library that is used can be updated which will increase some of the compatibility with other panels.

The BBB based capes (Octos) support way more panel types than the Pi's and the code is cleaned up and abstracted out enough to make it easy to add support for others.    The Linsn/Colorlight folks have access to all kinds of panels so they were able to add support for all the various combinations up front.   For the BBB, it really is "whatever folks have sent me, I've gotten working".     

With the new code, the refresh rate between the three options is very similar.    For Pi/BBB, we are bumping up against the timing limitation of the cheap chips on the panels.   As mentioned, the Pi needs hacks/code changes to slow itself down.  On the BBB, with one panel per output, all 8 outputs, I can hit 300fps with P10.  Again, faster than some panels can accept so it tries to detect this and starts delaying things.   Thus, refresh rate really isn't a concern anymore.  (the older BBB code was MUCH slower so it was an issue)

However, for e1.31 bridging from LOR, a few other concerns come into play.   When using the Linsn/Colorlight, you will still need a BBB or Pi (or other computer) to run FPP or similar to convert the e1.31 into data for the receiver card.   That process would need to accept the data, decode it into a buffer, then run some code to convert the buffer into what the reciever needs, send it out (also need a cheep gigabit switch as neither Pi nor BBB has gigabit which is required).  The Linsn/Colorlight card would get the data, decode it, and send it out to the panels.  Thus, a lot of steps which can introduce a bit of latency.   Definitely a few ms.   Possibly not too noticeable though.  If using FPP in remote mode, you can configure a remote latency to compensate, but that wouldn't work if using LOR to run the show.    The Pi/BBB Hat/Cape solutions limits the latency a bit by eliminating the extra networks hops and such.     Also, when using the FPP bridge to Linsn/Colorlight, you need to configure your panel setup twice.   Once using the (windows only) config program for the receiver card and you also need to configure FPP to match. 
Dan Kulp

Offline brichi

• Kudos: 0
thank you!!! So for what I am doing I am sure the BBB with the octoscroller on 46 panels is fine.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
I was originally looking at the Colorlight 5a-75b card because it could be driven by FPP and xLights, but also, just by moving the Ethernet cable, can be connected to their "Sender" card.

The Sender card accepts HDMI and DVI input, converts it in real time, and will drive the same panel setup you have for your Christmas/Halloween/holiday display. While it looks like a computer card with its PCI-e connectors, that's mostly for power and convenience. It has all its inputs and outputs on the back plane of the card.

http://colorlight-led.com/product/colorlight-s2-led-sender-card.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorlight-S2-PCI-E-Synchronous-Full-Color-Sending-Card-replace-T7-IT7/272962121585?hash=item3f8dcf6f71:g:ryQAAOSwKytZFmoK
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:37:28 AM by JonB256 »

Offline Unibits

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
I use the LINSN sending card to communicate to my matrix that I use for both my lights and as a rental item in our lighting business.  We output from an Acer laptop via HDMI to the DVI input of the card.  The LINSN app has a hidden setup menu where you configure the size and layout of your setup.. That is done once.  Then no matter what is output from the laptop, that screen is simply output to that of the matrix.

Offline Cjaqua

• Kudos: 1
Is the ColorLight card going to be supported on the BBB? Below is the message I am receiving on Dan's latest beta image.

2018-01-10 22:32:48 (4496) channeloutput/channeloutput.c:260:ColorLight5a75 subType not valid on BBB
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:03:10 PM by Cjaqua »

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 173
Is the ColorLight card going to be supported on the BBB? Below is the message I am receiving on Dan's latest beta image.

2018-01-10 22:32:48 (4496) channeloutput/channeloutput.c:260:ColorLight5a75 subType not valid on BBB

I don't think the ColorLight code has been merged to the BBB branch.  We are planning on merging all of Dan's changes back to the main FPP code branch so that BBB's can run the mainline code again and then the new Channel Outputs will be available on the BeagleBones.
-
Chris

Offline Dennis Laff

• Retired Machinist
CaptainMurdoch.  I'm new to p10 panels can I run 4 p10 panels on E1-31 with Only Ron's Holiday led panel controller.  Thanks Dennis Laff

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 173
CaptainMurdoch.  I'm new to p10 panels can I run 4 p10 panels on E1-31 with Only Ron's Holiday led panel controller.  Thanks Dennis Laff

You need the Pi running FPP and Ron's Pi adapter or a similar one.  Then you can put FPP in bridge mode and send it E1.31 and setup the LED Panel channel output to send the data out to the LED panels.

Offline Dennis Laff

• Retired Machinist
Thank you

Offline arw01

I use the LINSN sending card to communicate to my matrix that I use for both my lights and as a rental item in our lighting business.  We output from an Acer laptop via HDMI to the DVI input of the card.  The LINSN app has a hidden setup menu where you configure the size and layout of your setup.. That is done once.  Then no matter what is output from the laptop, that screen is simply output to that of the matrix.

So by theory, I could use the pc setup to do this, then bring along a PI and the virtual matrix to go out the hdmi port and the card would just drive it off the hdmi?