Author Topic: FPP driving P10 panels over Ethernet via a $30 ColorLight 5a-75B receiver board  (Read 10679 times)

Offline adster

• Kudos: 1
So now that I have my ColorLight board...

Err...how do I set it up in FPP 1.9? I have FPP setup for my PiHat, but I don't see anywhere in the UI for the ColorLight. Hell, it might not even be in the UI yet.

Offline adster

Ok, update. I looked at the channel config json file from the previous page, so I made that modification through the SSH terminal on the FPP. Then I stopped there and moved on to attempt to configure the panels in the ColorLight software.

Holy cow. I have no idea what I was doing. I followed the hardware configure PDF on their site and got part of the way there but some things still aren't right. I have a 2x2 P5 panel matrix. (They are 64x32) and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to make them work in the ColorLight program. I can get to a certain point where the LED graphic is displayed but it's chopped up on the panel, which tells me I have the layout configured wrong. I gave up and will try again this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
I spent about 4-5 hours trying various configurations. I am writing up a document on how to get it working (the way I did). It may not be THE way.
And you are correct, it is NOT in the UI at this time, it is under the hood manually in the .json file. NOTE: if you make any changes on the UI and click SAVE in the channel outputs section, your edits to the .json file are lost.

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
NOTE: if you make any changes on the UI and click SAVE in the channel outputs section, your edits to the .json file are lost.

painfully taught myself that. I now keep a copy in a desktop text file using Notepad++

Offline Sulley

• Kudos: 0

I too had issues setting up the ColorLight cards and didn't get it done on the first try.  However, I got lucky as I just attended the InfoComm Show in Orlando and ColorLight was one of the exhibitors.

I had a conversation with Gary and his staff, and they were very accommodating and provided me with the key details I need to get my card(s) configured for my P6 Matrix Panels.

Here is the contact information of the person who helped me:
Gary Tong
Sales Manager Overseas Dept.
Beijing ColorLight Technology Co., LTD.
Mobile: +86 181 2604 6784
Tel: +86 755 86009353
E-Mail: gary@lednets.com
Web: www.colorlightinside.com

Note, they have a new website, and the URL links on this post are in the process of being deprecated.

One last thing, if anyone needs help setting up their ColorLignt cards, please contact me as I'm always willing to help.

Scott

Offline adster

I also talked to Gary and his staff at InfoComm. They were incredible friendly (and also Hugh from Linsn also!) I purchased a board from there on the show floor.

Bshaver was able to send me an email about how to get my P5 panels working with the ColorLight software and board. Now I'm stuck at getting FPP to recognize it. I haven't done much to it in the last few days but if you've got a few minutes I'd love to fire it back up again.

Offline adster

Is anyone available this weekend that might be able to help get this working with FPP? I'm sort of at my wit's end...  :(

Offline Sulley

I spent yesterday trying to make the FPP work with my ColorLight cards.  I know the card is correctly configured and works when using the ColorLight software.  I also made sure I'm using a Gigabit switch to account for the speed differences between the hardware.

I started the morning out by using the fpp/develoment.php mode to download the latest version of the master branch (v1.5-stage-667-g5f18f22).  Next, I used the SSH Shell to find the ChannelOutputs.json file and modify it using VI to add the ColorLight information to the document.  The ColorLight information I used was based on the JSON document that was uploaded earlier on this post.

After trying many permutations of this file as well as other branches of the development.php, like the cpinkham and matrix branches, I could not get it to work.

What am I missing???

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
I am unable to access my color light or systems as they are packed for the Expo next week and coming via a friend in his suitcase while I am still traveling for work and vacation.
That said, the master branch is broken to play sequences, bridge mode, etc however it has the code for the LINSN and color light cards in it. You can only play with the testing of the outputs but it will not output anything real at this time.

I will not be back with my color light boards and systems until Expo or After Expo and I can help then.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
Ok. I got my matrix back up and running with the color light board.
I can make it all light up in the display testing, and drawing mode in the Matrix Tools section, however; that is all I can do at this time.

Also, those that have connected up and done the similar tasks above with their color light card, can you get it to do ALL WHITE? I cannot get it to do all white, The board will flash and then go dark. I am thinking that the card is getting browned out from the power. I am running 6 panels on a 8Amp DC power supply. I am thinking this, because it is not happening on my Pi V3 matrix connection because it is powered by a separate source.

I am going to hook up a separate 5V source to the Color light and see if it allows it to go all white. I know it is getting enough power, because the power supplies are the same for both matrices.

Ben

Offline tkostansek

Okay so I have a Complete P5 Display 36 panels 384x192 pixels.  I have been following this thread waiting for someone to crack the Linsn protocol.  Im using two receiver cards in 192X192 i have the Rv908 cards and a sender card controlling it now.  I just ordered the Color Light card to test with. actually ill need two of them since they will only go 256 by 256 pixels.

so my question is will the FPP support the P5 boards.  I heard metion of the p5 but most successfull setup were using p10.  Also is this working live in Bridged mode? Has anyone gotten any animations or video from Xlights to play on the Matrix thay created with ColorLight or Linsn.  I also have a beaglebone that im going to play with but its P10 only as well.

thanks

T

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 16

so my question is will the FPP support the P5 boards.  I heard metion of the p5 but most successfull setup were using p10.  Also is this working live in Bridged mode? Has anyone gotten any animations or video from Xlights to play on the Matrix thay created with ColorLight or Linsn.  I also have a beaglebone that im going to play with but its P10 only as well.

With the latest octoscroller code in my image/branch, the P5 1/16 scan panels should work fine.   Most of my testing is now done with a P5 64x32 1/16 scan panel.    I could likely get the 1/8 scan to work as well if that's what you need.   

Dan Kulp

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 42
FPP drives P5s just fine using a Pi3 and Ron's Matrix adapter board.  I only have what would be a 2x2 setup, but it works great.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
Okay so I have a Complete P5 Display 36 panels 384x192 pixels.  I have been following this thread waiting for someone to crack the Linsn protocol.  Im using two receiver cards in 192X192 i have the Rv908 cards and a sender card controlling it now.  I just ordered the Color Light card to test with. actually ill need two of them since they will only go 256 by 256 pixels.

thanks

T

So I have the color light and LINSN cards. The output driver is there, however; it is not tied into the bridge code or the playlist code currently. You can play a sequence in the display testing area to the LINSN or Colorlight boards. I have done this successfully. I only have P10 panels currently.

It would be good to get some feedback on the other panel types with the LINSN / Colorlight.

I am currently traveling and would be willing to help you set up your system to output to the color light / linsn boards. I found the color light much easier to configure than the linsn. they are similar, but color light was easier.

Ben

Offline jchuchla

I don't have a ton of experience with the colorlight boards (other than replacing them) But I do know that the Linsn boards support pretty much everything out there.  That's what they're made for (and I'd expect the same from colorlight, novastar, zdec, etc...)  I've configured them for everything from P0.8 all the way up to P40.  (3, 5.94, 10 and 16 being most common lately).

The nice thing of taking this approach is that it puts the burden of hardware support on the receive card.  FPP merely needs to write the stream to the card(s).  The receive card then takes it from there and drives the panel however it needs to be driven.