Author Topic: New/Updated Feaures?  (Read 5504 times)

Offline bowhunter3125

• Kudos: 0
Re: New/Updated Feaures?
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2017, 11:26:47 PM »
Since I use an FPGA to output it would be a few lines of code to have the clock output data. Maybe just as easy to connect both lines to the data port also. Does anyone have a specification sheet for these pixels.

Can not locate a data sheet for the 2818, but from i understand, it is the same as the 2813.https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-82167/l/ws2813-led-datasheetpdf

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 50
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2017, 12:12:29 AM »
Yeah. I would just connect two wires to data terminal. Pretty easy. Or use three wires only.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline stanward

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2017, 01:20:11 AM »
I like the idea of an improved v1 and v2 power connector, screw down is fine.   It's not a must have, esp. if the soldering on the existing is decent.

My only quality concern across five F16v2-r boards was that two of them had marginal  soldering on v1 and v2 power connections ... making them somewhat flimsy when tightening down the power cords into them.  I don't know if that can increase the solder used, but it seems like more would be better on that part.

It might be really cool if there was an export to excel option, for all the info in the string ports screen.

I agree with the soldering quality of the f16v2 boards.  I ended up re-soldering a bunch of connections because they looked questionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2017, 08:41:31 AM »
I'm not seeing the need for BOUT on the controller.  The first pixel in a 2813/2818 string will ignore BIN if its receiving DIN.    I believe these strings will work just fine with 3 wire from controller and 4 wire   along the string.
Not sure what BOUT is. this is what i found on another site on these nodes.....

BOUT = Backup Data Out.  Its the outgoing connection from an upstream pixel that feeds the BIN or Backup Data In of the downstream pixel.   If we are talking about modifying the controller firmware to change the existing CLK output pin to support a Backup Data line then it would effectively become a BOUT pin.  The Backup Data stream is not an exact duplicate of the primary Data stream.  It is shifted by 24 bits.

However, as I mentioned before, the first pixel in a string should not need a Backup Data In connection from the controller.  The Backup Data is used by a downstream pixel when its upstream pixel stops sending Data Out.

I don't have any of these to confirm, but I highly suspect that the first pixel in the string (the one connected to the controller) only needs a typical 2811-style Data In.  The controller does not need to know anything different and drive that port the same as any other 2811 string.  Backup Data starts at the output side of the first pixel and gets cascaded down the string.
Vixen3, FPP, F16v2, xL4

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 59
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2017, 12:17:47 PM »

Offline burtonmadness

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2017, 02:49:05 PM »

He plans to include multi-voltage SMD leds on the V3 controller

What are multi-voltage LEDs? 

Started designing my own boards and looking for something similar.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2017, 03:58:09 PM »

LOL, its a term I made up to keep the answer simple. ::)

The V3 boards are not built yet, so this info is not yet finalized.  The plan is to use an SMD LED+resistor combination that allows the led to be lit across the 5v-12v range. It will be dimmer in 5v than in 12v but still lights up for both voltages.   I'm not positive but I believe this will mean 24v power will no longer be supported through the board due to these leds on the V3.  On the V2 boards you could run up to 24v power through the board which made the fuse LED's dependent on the individual users configuration.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 24
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »
The V3 boards are not built yet, so this info is not yet finalized.  The plan is to use an SMD LED+resistor combination that allows the led to be lit across the 5v-12v range. It will be dimmer in 5v than in 12v but still lights up for both voltages.   I'm not positive but I believe this will mean 24v power will no longer be supported through the board due to these leds on the V3.  On the V2 boards you could run up to 24v power through the board which made the fuse LED's dependent on the individual users configuration.

I hope there is an option to depopulate these LED's if that is the case. I run 3 x 12V and 1 x 24V through my F16V2/Expansion combo and would like to be able to keep it that way going forward to keep everything very simple. I don't want to have to do separate power distribution. With the lengths of my runs I don't currently need to. I was looking towards some of the other features of the F16V3 to simplify other things.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 24

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 50
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2017, 09:58:28 PM »

LOL, its a term I made up to keep the answer simple. ::)

There will be a switch or removal of a "0" ohm resistor to disconnect resistors from ground. So you will have an option to turn off LEDS if you are one of the few that run 24V. 

Offline bowhunter3125

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2017, 10:24:46 PM »
I'm not seeing the need for BOUT on the controller.  The first pixel in a 2813/2818 string will ignore BIN if its receiving DIN.    I believe these strings will work just fine with 3 wire from controller and 4 wire   along the string.
Not sure what BOUT is. this is what i found on another site on these nodes.....

BOUT = Backup Data Out.  Its the outgoing connection from an upstream pixel that feeds the BIN or Backup Data In of the downstream pixel.   If we are talking about modifying the controller firmware to change the existing CLK output pin to support a Backup Data line then it would effectively become a BOUT pin.  The Backup Data stream is not an exact duplicate of the primary Data stream.  It is shifted by 24 bits.

However, as I mentioned before, the first pixel in a string should not need a Backup Data In connection from the controller.  The Backup Data is used by a downstream pixel when its upstream pixel stops sending Data Out.

I don't have any of these to confirm, but I highly suspect that the first pixel in the string (the one connected to the controller) only needs a typical 2811-style Data In.  The controller does not need to know anything different and drive that port the same as any other 2811 string.  Backup Data starts at the output side of the first pixel and gets cascaded down the string.

Not sure about that, Best pic i could find is this one. You can barely make out the lettering on the board.