Author Topic: Amp increase  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Cam

• Kudos: 0
Amp increase
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:46:16 AM »
 Trying to read all that I can but I didn't find an answer to this, thanks for any help. 

Trying to understand the power limitations here.  The F16v3 is limited to 30 amps per side, with the 20 percent rule, but by purchasing the differential receiver board, you can expand that 60 amp limit?  If so, by how much?  If not, what could you do?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 96
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Amp increase
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 08:54:26 AM »
The differential transmitter board beats the amperage rules because it doesn't power any pixels. The four differential outputs from the board are data only going over CAT5. The differential receiver boards then have their very own power supply and each of them can handle 30 amps.

Offline Cam

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:40:32 PM »
Thank you for your response.   Is it correct that you can add 2 differential receiver boards to this controller?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 96
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 02:46:03 PM »
Thank you for your response.   Is it correct that you can add 2 differential receiver boards to this controller?
The F16v2 has an outlet for a single differential board with 4 output jacks for 4 receiver boards
The F16v3 (available "soon" for pre-order, has two outlets for differential boards.

Also, the RS485 port #1 can be used to give you an output to a receiver board (it redirects the output from the normal #13, #14, #15 or #16 ports)

Offline beatlerat

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 08:32:12 PM »
I thought I heard somewhere that the F16V2 blue could handle 2 4-port receiver boards instead of just one.  It would be nice if I could drive two boards (full capacity) instead of just one.
Thanks

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 71
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 10:55:58 PM »
The F16V2 can connect a differential expansion board that in turn can drive 4 receivers. You can drive one receiver directly from the F16V2. Only one sonce there is only a single quad serial driver.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 31
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 02:24:14 PM »
Trying to understand the power limitations here.  The F16v3 is limited to 30 amps per side, with the 20 percent rule, but by purchasing the differential receiver board, you can expand that 60 amp limit?  If so, by how much?  If not, what could you do?
In addition to what others have already said, let me try to summarize:

As you already noted, the main board has 2 banks of 8 ports, 30a per bank for a total of 60a on the main board.
There are two different types of expansion board.  The standard expansion and the differential expansion.   The differential expansion board works together with 1-4 differential receiver boards.

The standard expansion board adds 2 more banks of 8 ports, 30a per bank giving an additional 60a which totals 120a for both main board plus 1 standard expansion board.
The F16V3 supports a 2nd expansion board, adding 2 more banks of 8 ports, 30a per bank, giving an additional 60a which totals 180a for main board plus 2 standard expansion boards.

The Differential expansion board has no power distribution.  Instead, it drives 4 remote Differential Receiver boards and each of those has 4 ports and a 30a power connector.   BUT, each of the 4 ports is fused at 5a so each differential receiver board is capable of powering 20a of pixels.  Thus, 4 differential receivers yields an additional 80a beyond the main board.  Since the F16V3 supports 2 expansion boards, you could have up to two differential expansion boards with up to 8 total differential receivers.  Thats a total of 160a in addition to the main board of 60a for a grand total of 220a maximum pixel power capability.

The F16V2 expansion works the same as the V3 except that the V2 only supports 1 expansion board that can be either standard expansion or differential expansion for a grand total of either 60a+60a=120a with standard expansion or 60a+80a=140a with differential expansion.

8)
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 71
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
In addition to what others have already said, let me try to summarize:

As you already noted, the main board has 2 banks of 8 ports, 30a per bank for a total of 60a on the main board.
There are two different types of expansion board.  The standard expansion and the differential expansion.   The differential expansion board works together with 1-4 differential receiver boards.

The standard expansion board adds 2 more banks of 8 ports, 30a per bank giving an additional 60a or 120a for both main board plus 1 standard expansion board.
The F16V3 supports a 2nd expansion board, adding 2 more banks of 8 ports, 30a per bank, giving an additional 60a or 180a for main board plus 2 standard expansion boards.

The Differential expansion board has no power distribution.  Instead, it drives 4 remote Differential Receiver boards and each of those has 4 ports and a 30a power connector.   BUT, each of the 4 ports is fused at 5a so each differential receiver board is capable of powering 20a of pixels.  Thus, 4 differential receivers yields an additional 80a beyond the main board.  Since the F16V3 supports 2 expansion boards, you could have up to two differential expansion boards with up to 8 differential receivers.  Thats a total of 160a in addition to the main board of 60a for a grand total of 220a maximum pixel power capability.

The F16V2 expansion works the same as the V3 except that the V2 only supports 1 expansion board that can be either standard expansion or differential expansion for a grand total of either 60a+60a=120a with standard expansion or 60a+80a=140a with differential expansion.

8)

But wait if you order today we will throw-in a ...

I just realized I may may have made the F16V2/F16V3 system a bit complicated. :)

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 31
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 02:33:03 PM »
I just realized I may may have made the F16V2/F16V3 system a bit complicated. :)
Haha yeah, but the V4 will totally simplify all this in 2019   ::)