Author Topic: Starting from scratch  (Read 1685 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• Kudos: 0
Starting from scratch
« on: January 14, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »
Starting fresh...
see if I have this right, I have some questions too.

RaspPi to run show
the signals go to F16 boards, and in return they drive the pixels?

if so, how far of a run from the F16 to the strings can I go?

What sting types do I look for from Ray for the 12mm bullet nodes?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 77
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Starting from scratch
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »
Starting fresh...
see if I have this right, I have some questions too.

RaspPi to run show
the signals go to F16 boards, and in return they drive the pixels?

if so, how far of a run from the F16 to the strings can I go?

What sting types do I look for from Ray for the 12mm bullet nodes?

I use a RasPi to "Control" the show as a Master and to output audio to the FM transmitter
It could also output E1.31 to F16v2 boards if I wanted it to, but I have other RasPis doing that in "Remote" or Slave mode.
F16v2 controllers can control a LONG list of 3 wire and 4 wire strings.
You can control more pixels per output using 3 wire pixels, most common being WS2811, WS2812, TM1804 or TM1809 (all sold by Ray and others)
Distance to first pixel, with decent wire, has been 30 or more feet. Using CAT5, it goes farther.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:26:32 PM »
How does the F16 get it's "signal" from the Pi?

Offline ChristmasBug

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 06:36:06 PM »
If you have not done this is would recommend this setup
 Grab a couple of 350 watt power supply off line
Raspberry PI 3
    F16v2-R ( can control over 400 pixel per out put port)
        12v pixels from Ray u ( takes about 3 weeks to get your order)

Connect both your pi a d F16v2-R to a router then to your pc. Both of them have Web interfaces to use.
Going for it...

Raspberry pi - 1 Main
 2 - Raspberry PI+PICAP
 2 x F16V2-R Pixel Controller
 5000 node  bullet PiXELS
 800 C9 PiXELS for roof out line

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 07:04:28 PM »

An ethernet cable from the Pi to the F16.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 77
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 07:17:37 PM »

Chris - first I want to make clear that there are several F16 boards.

The F16v1 is a Pixelnet based board. Can handle two full Pixelnet universes.

The F16v2 (Blue board) is first generation F16v2. It is E1.31 input to an Ethernet jack. It can be expanded from 16 outputs to 32 outputs with an inexpensive daughter board via a ribbon cable.

The F16v2 (Red board) is second generation. It is E1.31 input to an Ethernet jack but also has an SD card slot that can be used to store FSEQ (xlights output files). It can also be expanded from 16 to 32 outputs.

The F16v3 board (unknown color) is near completion. It is E1.31 input and output (daisy chain). It is stronger, faster, but not more expensive. It will support two expansion boards, so up to 48 outputs. Various other enhancements, too.

So, which one(s), specifically, are you asking about? I know you from DLA so Pixelnet is not a stranger to you.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 10:02:27 PM »

So, which one(s), specifically, are you asking about? I know you from DLA so Pixelnet is not a stranger to you.

Just getting  a feel for how this gets setup. I'm new to FPP stuff.
It looks like I setup my Pi to run the show with audio output to fm transmitter.

This year's show, I ran 26 ssc v4 with falcon firmware, plus a zeus 16.
I can simplify some elements (like running my 10 arches as one string with power injection) and run the whole show from practically a F16 (red), with an expansion board

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 35
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 12:48:35 AM »

Just getting  a feel for how this gets setup. I'm new to FPP stuff.
It looks like I setup my Pi to run the show with audio output to fm transmitter.

Yep, it basically replaces the PC and can send audio to your transmitter as well just like the PC. 

This year's show, I ran 26 ssc v4 with falcon firmware, plus a zeus 16.
I can simplify some elements (like running my 10 arches as one string with power injection) and run the whole show from practically a F16 (red), with an expansion board

I really don't see that as a simplification.  If you are power injecting at each arch, it really isn't any easier or more simple than keeping them separate using either SSC's or separate ports on the F16v2.  Another issue with that method is what I refer to the all your eggs in one basket scenario meaning that if any node or power injection point fails, everything past that point in the string also goes out.  I would replace the zeus 16 as that board was never fully developed and can be more trouble than it's worth and the F16v2 will do that perfectly without the need of an expansion card.   I have my zeus configured with all 16 ports set up starting on channel 1 for max length and use it to burn in and test nodes.

Offline Pichound

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 03:24:14 PM »
   I have my zeus configured with all 16 ports set up starting on channel 1 for max length and use it to burn in and test nodes.

Tbone321,, Is in really nessassary to "Burn in" the nodes?

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »
The only time I can see of "burning in" nodes, would be to find failures.

But in my experience, 99% of my failures had to do with waterproofing failures.

This past year, I tested all my lights that were new, but only to let Ray know if there were any issues.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 35
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 05:31:12 PM »
   I have my zeus configured with all 16 ports set up starting on channel 1 for max length and use it to burn in and test nodes.

Tbone321,, Is in really nessassary to "Burn in" the nodes?

The simple answer is .... it depends.  While the quality of the nodes has improved, they are far from bulletproof and at times can fail.  I run mine for about 48hrs to make sure that they are at least functional and with the last batch I tested, I found about a dozen bad ones with issues from not all the colors working to failures preventing the other nodes past the failed one not lighting at all and these are the failures that appeared during the burn-in run.  The reason that I say it depends is based on how easy it is to replace them if they fail in the display.  If they are easy to get to and replace in the display then burning them in is not all that critical but if they are in difficult to reach or replace, it may be a good idea to minimize the chance of failure.  As Chris said, some failures can occur due to weather related issues as well but even there, I will be running my new props on the ground in a test pattern for a day or two outside in bad weather prior to use in the season.

Offline plaberge

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 11:28:03 PM »
The nodes from Ray and the ones I've gotten State side are just so much better these days that I haven't found that burn-in does much anymore. I test the pixels/strips when I first build the props and then try to test all the hard to reach ones before I put up the props. The initial test catches the hard failures - and there have been very few over the last couple of years. For me, the failures show up once outside, typically rain-related, and often my fault because I pulled on or pinched something too hard at some point.
Paul.
Deep Cove, North Van. BC

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 11
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 02:42:39 AM »
The nodes from Ray and the ones I've gotten State side are just so much better these days that I haven't found that burn-in does much anymore. I test the pixels/strips when I first build the props and then try to test all the hard to reach ones before I put up the props. The initial test catches the hard failures - and there have been very few over the last couple of years. For me, the failures show up once outside, typically rain-related, and often my fault because I pulled on or pinched something too hard at some point.

+1

An interesting development over on another DIY site is a data splitter board being developed.  Add that to a power distro and that's game changing stuff yet again.  The main thing Chris has to do and like I did a few years ago is forget most of the DLA stuff...  We are just doing entirely different things now.  All this being said, we're still on the bleeding edge so whatever you do test well/small scale/etc before you go ape. 
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 38
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 08:32:50 AM »
I have not done any burn in for a couple of years.  Got tired of doing it when I never saw any failures.  I do test every new string I get and I do a test of the old stuff before I put things out every year.  Other than a couple of older nodes this year I have not had any other failures.  Now stupid mistakes on configs, that is another story.  LOL

My testing is just turning each color for long enough to make sure everything lights up as expected.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:39:20 AM by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 11
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 08:36:25 AM »
Along the same lines:  I would do do total submerged burn ins over several days on new stuff only to see failures a few days outdoors...    :o