Author Topic: Starting from scratch  (Read 940 times)

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
Re: Starting from scratch
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 08:47:52 AM »
How does the F16 get it's "signal" from the Pi?

DLA
Computer sent data via E1.31 into the EtherDongle. EtherDongle sent data out ports via Pixelnet (You can drive 300') to SSC receivers, they changed data to spi to drive pixels

Everyone Else
Computer (Laptop, Raspberry Pi, BBB) sends data to a controller. Controllers (Falcon F16, AlphaPix, Pixlite, HinksPix,Pixcon) receive E1.31 and send out SPI data (You can drive 40').

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases
xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php
Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline smeighan

• Developer
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 09:15:48 AM »
Chris; you might look at www.xlights.org to see the link to the  rgb controllers. This shows a comparison between the current controllers people use (E682, Falcon F16, alphapix, pixlite,picon,.etc.)

Ill post the link here
http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 124
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 10:31:06 AM »
An interesting development over on another DIY site is a data splitter board being developed.  Add that to a power distro and that's game changing stuff yet again.

This is what I'd like to see.  In the thread you reference, I gave the example of a F16v2/3 to differential receiver to data splitter board then out to 4-8 props in different directions.  One of my upgraded display items this year will be going from 3 RGB-retrofitted spiral trees to possibly 12.  Being able to use a data splitter and power distro board would mean I could connect them all via a single differential receiver without having to do the power injection that I would have to do between trees if I daisy-chained them.  I'd rather have a central box with splitter board and pigtails going out to individual trees since the trees may be spread out and each tree could have anywhere from 50-250 pixels depending on the size and type.
-
Chris

Offline esolo

• Kudos: -1
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »
An interesting development over on another DIY site is a data splitter board being developed.  Add that to a power distro and that's game changing stuff yet again.

This is what I'd like to see.  In the thread you reference, I gave the example of a F16v2/3 to differential receiver to data splitter board then out to 4-8 props in different directions.  One of my upgraded display items this year will be going from 3 RGB-retrofitted spiral trees to possibly 12.  Being able to use a data splitter and power distro board would mean I could connect them all via a single differential receiver without having to do the power injection that I would have to do between trees if I daisy-chained them.  I'd rather have a central box with splitter board and pigtails going out to individual trees since the trees may be spread out and each tree could have anywhere from 50-250 pixels depending on the size and type.

Very interesting!

Offline smeighan

• Developer
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 06:00:12 PM »
If u split data to 12 trees, wont they all have same channel range? Whole house sweeps would look different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 07:09:36 PM »
Yea, it sounds more like a hub / SSC setup to do that. 

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 10:12:25 AM »
Still working out the details but I think there will be some rudimentary channel assignment/pixel spread via dipswitch or simple programming (like Tbone says SSC) so they will not have same channels.  To me, these are perfect for a guy like me running 1 prop per port that would like to scale back a bit where I could send 1 port of F16 programmed for 200 pixels to a 4 "branch" (as they are calling it) splitter and then set each branch for 50 pixels (150 channels).  Power distro in same case...  I gain 3 ports back.  I could do this a few more times and next thing you know I have a few unused controllers.  Basically perfect for like Cap'n talks with banks of same type props.  I think you could even do a mega tree too.  Caveat would be same type pixel I think but probably can worked around in software if need be.  Apparently these are pretty dang cheap to make too!
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline tbone321

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »
The problem is that it doesn't work that way.  The pixels are not addressable and always see the first 3 channels of data as its own so if you just send the same data to each port like a standard splitter does, then the nodes on all 4 ports will get and respond to the same data stream.  You would need a smart splitter that can split up the incoming data and send the correct data to each port.  You can basically think of the SSC / uSC as a configurable remote port.  Sure, they use PixelNet instead of E1.31 but otherwise, not much difference.

Offline b0nafide

• Kudos: 0
  • Newb
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 01:33:21 PM »
If you have not done this is would recommend this setup
 Grab a couple of 350 watt power supply off line
Raspberry PI 3
    F16v2-R ( can control over 400 pixel per out put port)
        12v pixels from Ray u ( takes about 3 weeks to get your order)

Connect both your pi a d F16v2-R to a router then to your pc. Both of them have Web interfaces to use.

Can you expand on this?

The Pi, Falcon and router are outside connected wirelessly to the desktop (accessible through a web page?) is that correct?

Got a diagram handy?

Just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- b0nafide

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 01:45:47 PM »
Sorry if I wasn't clear but the splitter is smart and alot like the SSC/uSC.  In fact, I suggested the idea to Corey in his brainstorming thread to make a Falcon data splitter.  Anyway, I think they found a clever way to do it the way I describe via code.  A snip of the tech in the thread:
[The spured leg can just recieve all the data as normal with no intervention required, as any data above and beyond its requirements will just be forwarded on from the last pixel even though there is no where for it to go?  The continuation of the main string just needs the data line holding low for 24 high->low transitions * n channels (blanking the number of channels used on the spur), at which point it is just the normal data line?  So if you used interupts, to set outputs, to match an input, you could bit mask one of the outputs for the number of high->low transitions. ]

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 124
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 02:01:55 PM »
This splitter is an intelligent splitter.  Effectively, it sends part of the data one out one output and the rest of the data out another port.  This kind of thing would allow building a tree running off a Pi with each string fed independently off the splitter rather than having to daisy chain all strings together.  Rather than the whole tree going down if a pixel in the first string fails, only the first string would go down.  The splitter itself is still a single point of failure but that is better than the odds you have with all strings daisy chained.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 05:05:31 PM »
Oh, that is cool.  I guess that you will still need to use power injection for each prop. 

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 07:37:01 AM »
Absolutely, but a power distro can take of that or even better if someone would combine the 2 into one board.  In my mind it's like differential receiver that is universal but that raises a question tho.  I think they will be using 2811 protocol for this so do the pixels need to be same or?