Author Topic: Jumping in the deep end with both feet  (Read 427 times)

Offline ChiefKC

• Kudos: 0
Jumping in the deep end with both feet
« on: January 16, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »
Hello,
I am jumping back into the hobby after getting sidetracked for 3 years. I am jumping in with both feet this year and currently planning my display. I plan to set up a 12 ribbon LOR CCR Tree with a 6 channel star on top. I am also planning to have 6 Holidaycoro 100 node mini trees with a 20 node star on top, 8 Coro-Canes with 16 rectangle nodes in each cane, White Icicles and an Inflatable Santa controlled with a spare LOR AC Controller I have, and lastly window outlines although I havent decide if I should use Pixels or ribbons for these yet I am leaning toward pixels with C9 covers.  After lots of reading on a quite a few of the forums, I have completed my initial network layout to the best of my knowledge. Im sure Ill need more power supplies for power injection. I would appreciate feedback on any mistakes I may have made or ways to improve it. Thanks
Chief (aka Robert)

Offline esolo

• Kudos: -1
Re: Jumping in the deep end with both feet
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 06:09:38 PM »
Im not qualified to give you advice as I know nothing about LOR and it was only my first year doing pixels. But may I ask why you chose some pixels to be 5V and others to be 12V?

Offline ChiefKC

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 09:17:36 PM »
Im not qualified to give you advice as I know nothing about LOR and it was only my first year doing pixels. But may I ask why you chose some pixels to be 5V and others to be 12V?

My reason for using two different voltages was because I had a grab box full of 5 volt pixels that i figured I can make work for the mini-trees and the canes were 12 v simply because that was the type of retangular pixels I had bought. I figured is would be cheaper to run the two voltages thru the F16V3 since it designed to work with both voltages simultaneously thus only costing me a power supply instead of a number of pixel strings. There's a lot rattling around in my head and maybe I have my wires crossed, that's why I posted my setup and get some feedback. Thanks. 

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 09:31:52 AM »
Chief,
You will need need power injection (PI) on EVERYTHING except maybe the CCR tree...  Your worst offender are the candy canes.  You also show these coming off the 5v BTW.  I have love/hate relationship with those modules.  Basically you are 20 modules per port max so you'll need injection on EACH if tied together.  I find PI a PITA...  I would suggest some expansion or another controller or 2 and go prop per port.  Implementing PI properly is not as easy as folks claim.  Same goes for minis and house stuff.  All of these are on separate ports at my house.  I tried doing it your way and it was disaster (2013).  Also, make sure those rectangles are not directly exposed to the elements.  (looks like you're OK but not sure)
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653