Author Topic: Pi-Cap how to address Pixels on the two mini connectors and assigning addresses  (Read 392 times)

Offline Ray

• Kudos: 0
Well here is my question.

I want to set up the RJ-45 on the Pi-Cap to run my 13 LOR boxes. Also I want to put a string of RGB on one mini connector and another string of RGB on the other mini connector on the Cap. Lastly I am going to run E1.31 on the Pi board RJ-45.

I have no problem assigning the E1.31 output. But not really sure how to assign a universe to the LOR RJ-45 on the Cap nor universe and channels on the two small connectors on the Cap.

Can someone point me to a document or thread that covers this?

Thanks

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 12
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
John Storms has several videos about PiCap setup - maybe one of these may help...
https://www.youtube.com/user/listentoourlights/videos
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)

This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline Ray

Thanks mararunr.
Yes I had seen John's videos and in part it helps. Lets see if I can put this another way. I plan to use LOR S4 for sequencing. And I plan to use universe 1 for the 192 LOR channels I suppose what I am asking is how do I set the RJ-45 on the PiCap as universe 1? And the two connectors that go back to the GPIO. How do I set them say universe 2 and 3?  Could some point me to the documents that explain how to set up the Cap?  John does a good job explaining the jumpers for voltage and protocol on the RJ-45. Thanks

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 68
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
DMX universes are set by using "absolute" values as the start channel.

Universe 1 starts at 1
Universe 2 starts at 513
Universe 3 starts at 1025
Keep adding 512 for more

Offline Ray

DMX universes are set by using "absolute" values as the start channel.

Universe 1 starts at 1
Universe 2 starts at 513
Universe 3 starts at 1025
Keep adding 512 for more

Thanks JonB256 for that answer. I haven't done it for a few months now. But I thought that when setting up a channel in LOR S3 or S4 that if the channel is for a Pixel like a WS2811. That the channels are DMX with a universe # and a number between 1 & 512. What your saying makes sense but not sure. So maybe it just sank in, So in LOR I set it up as say Universe 3 Channels 4, 5, & 6. On the FPP I set up one of the connectors as channels 1025 - 1537, which would contain my pixel that I programmed in LOR universe 3 numbered 4, 5, & 6. So, did it sink into my thick head?  Thanks JonB256..

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 68
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
In xlights you can prefix a channel with a universe and it will calculate the actual absolute channel. I always use 512 sized universes. No 510 or smaller. It keeps things a lot clearer to me.

Offline Ray

Hi JonB256, at this time I am not really ready to tackle XL, thus the reason I mentioned that I will be using LOR S4. Besides the number of pixels is only 382 and about 192 AC/DC LOR channels. So XL seems to be more for pixels than LED light strings. Or I just have not wrapped my head around the program enough yet.

Looks like I will have a little bit more work. But knowing what you have told me, I can minimize my work by creatively addressing the pixels that will be attached to the PiCap.
Thanks for the help.