Author Topic: New expensive hobby  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Tennessee17

• Kudos: 0
New expensive hobby
« on: January 22, 2017, 08:15:02 PM »

Been researching what would be involved on a Halloween and Christmas display this year.  Had in my mind maybe a $1000 budget.......ha!   
I seem to be in the $3000 range using sale prices.

Wanted "talking faces" but have changed my mind am am looking at  a 16 string ccr mega tree from  Holliday Cora with a star topper. Brilliant rgb c9 house outline and smart rgb node window outline.  Going with beginner LOR setup with advanced s4, pair of wireless links with FM transmitter.   Hope that covered the basics

Is there much advantage of going with a 16 vs 12 ccr string tree?
think I will need at least two smart rgb controllers ---- one comes with mega tree from HC  do u suggest getting a second matching one or going with second brand?     Same thing with a regular LOR controller.     The falcon v3 is getting hyped on several forums.

I don't know enough to know what I don't know.    I do know my eyes can quickly out distance my billfold! 
 I am not really a handiman and my computer skills end at building one computer. 

Glad I like research

Thank you for suggestions

Bill

Offline Dennis Laff

• Retired Machinist
Re: New expensive hobby
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 09:41:25 PM »
Just so you know if you buy sequences for your tree buy in DMX format because your calling it a ccr tree but only light o rama sells ccr's 

Online David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 54
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:31:55 PM »
I would suggest getting a Falcon controller like the F16V3. :)
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline jtrpop

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »
This is my first year for RGB, and with power injection I should be able to run all from one controller. As soon as it's available, I'm pre-ordering the Falcon16v3!

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 34
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 08:26:28 PM »
This is my first year for RGB, and with power injection I should be able to run all from one controller. As soon as it's available, I'm pre-ordering the Falcon16v3!

Putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak.....
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline esolo

• Kudos: -1
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »

Last year was my first year and I had much the same thought process youre having. Although in theory its clean and seems organized, I soon learned that having one controller and running everything from that one controller wasnt practical. So lucky for me Dave Pitts came up with the differential expansion with receivers later in the year. Keep reading and keep learning as you will see things much differently once you have a bit of experience.

To the OP, my research began at LOR and I ended up on this forum. Never looked back as I fell in love with the Falcon controllers and the DIY aspect of this hobby. If youre not a DIY guy that enjoys reading for hours and problem solving then maybe the ready to run stuff is better for you. But with the help of the many knowledgeable people on these forums, you should be able to build a display. Good luck!

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »
LOR is the most expensive way to do it, IMHO.

Offline b0nafide

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 06:35:06 PM »
I came to the same conclusion as others here...

New to the hobby... started looking at LOR and learned that F16v3 is way to get things done.

Good luck with your build.

(I spent $1200 CDN.. on my first order of pixels, cords, etc. I'm hoping to keep year 1 under $2000)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- b0nafide

Offline esolo

• Kudos: -1
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 06:58:28 PM »
I was able to outline my home (1 level only) and set up everything under 1K last year (1st year).
This year I will spend the same and simply build it up over the years. Also, if you make small purchases throughout the year you can fool yourself to not feel the pain as much. LOL

Offline Tennessee17

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 11:19:14 PM »
I am attempting to decide what lights or what mixer of lights I should use for  house  and window outline.
Am considering
  Rgb c 9 brilliant bulbs with either 4 inch or 8 inch spacing,
Rgb nodes with three inch spacing
Or rgb 4 wire rope lights  ( most expensive)

Suggestions? 

Thank you.

Think I have decided on the falcon vs as my controllers  that are not included in the mega tree package

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 08:48:47 AM »

Been researching what would be involved on a Halloween and Christmas display this year.  Had in my mind maybe a $1000 budget.......ha!   
I seem to be in the $3000 range using sale prices.

Wanted "talking faces" but have changed my mind am am looking at  a 16 string ccr mega tree from  Holliday Cora with a star topper. Brilliant rgb c9 house outline and smart rgb node window outline.  Going with beginner LOR setup with advanced s4, pair of wireless links with FM transmitter.   Hope that covered the basics

Is there much advantage of going with a 16 vs 12 ccr string tree?
think I will need at least two smart rgb controllers ---- one comes with mega tree from HC  do u suggest getting a second matching one or going with second brand?     Same thing with a regular LOR controller.     The falcon v3 is getting hyped on several forums.

I don't know enough to know what I don't know.    I do know my eyes can quickly out distance my billfold! 
 I am not really a handiman and my computer skills end at building one computer. 

Glad I like research

Thank you for suggestions

Bill

there is a comparison page for the different 16 channel rgb controllers located here
http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/

i personally like all the falcon controllers.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases
xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php
Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline Yamr6rider

• Kudos: 1
  • Here we go!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 05:43:44 PM »
Am considering
  Rgb c 9 brilliant bulbs with either 4 inch or 8 inch spacing,
Rgb nodes with three inch spacing
Or rgb 4 wire rope lights  ( most expensive)

In the same boat here...  Getting the plan together for this year and am trying to figure out what to use and how to attach it for the house outline.  I can get 1,000 12mm 4" spaced WS2811's for under $300 shipped, but don't know how they'd look on the ridges or how I'd affix them to the house.  I don't think the wife's gonna let me buy that plus the "C9" pixels that I've seen others' use for my first year out.  Like you, I'm really curious as to what the FC community thinks on the matter.

BTW, I will be going with the F16V3 that David referenced.....  As soon as he opens up the pre-order  ;) .
Jon

Getting ideas together for my first year display:
 1 - Raspberry Pi3,  1 - Falcon F16V3 & 1 PiCap,  2 - 30A 360W PSU's (maybe 3)
12v Pixel strings - Mounted via holes drilled thru 1" PVC(3-4" spacing)

Offline jtrpop

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 10:36:21 PM »

Putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak.....

Get two F16v3's? A F16v3 and a F4? Go differential boards & receivers? It is my first flight and I'm still getting used to my programming.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 34
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 09:17:58 AM »
I always like to have a backup so if something misfires it does not necessarily kill my show, cripple maybe, but not kill.  I also like to keep a controller on my workbench even during show season.  I use to keep building and testing props that did not make it to opening day of the show and also to use when repairing things on the bench.  If necessary it can be moved into duty for the show.

In 9 yrs of doing animated lighting I have not lost a lot of money on having extra equipment because as I moved from one thing to another.  I have found that the used market is pretty robust.  Even today folks are clamoring for 16 channel AC controllers which I completely moved away from 2 years ago.  I still have two AC controllers tucked away in storage in case I decide to get some of my old AC props out.  Had 14 of those at one time.

Offline tractormike21

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 05:59:37 PM »
Just thought I would put my .02 in to this discussion.
I started this hobby about 10 years ago, boy where does the time go, it initially started with a GE Mr. Christmas 6 port fixed controller that I added to my static display.
Then I went on the internet and started researching, at that point there where very few options for DIY light displays. 
I settled at the time with controllers from D-light since they were less expensive than LOR.  My next year I had a show with 1 16 port and 4 8 port AC controllers from D-Light.  My initial setup only used the 2 16 port controllers since I still had to build the 8 port controllers.
I borrowed some songs and sequences from the internet and modified them for my display using some old software that isn't even around anymore.
I found killer deals on extension cords and mini lights and did my first show.  Everyone loved it.
As I worked on laying out my display I found DLA (Doityourselflighanimation) and fell in the love with their AC controllers.  From there I converted my D-light controllers to DMX and ran the next show.
Then I added wireless to get into some trouble locations, converted to LED Lights, put in a sub-panel for Christmas lights, built a mega tree on my roof, etc.
I took it a little at a time.  No matter how I set up projects for the year, I only ended up completing about 1/2 of what I set out to do.
I had to reset my mindset to not stress over it since this is a hobby and should be fun.  Stress wasn't worth it.
Then RGB came along and added some neat options but also a steep learning curve.
I have been fighting with LSP and RGB elements for about 4 years now.
Moving my scheduler to FPP made a huge difference in reliability of my show.
Creating wire looms and labeling and documenting everything made a huge difference in enjoyability.
Perserverance and patients are key abilities in this hobby!
2017 should be the first year I will finally have about 6 new elements in my display after I had them built for about 2 years.  I just couldn't get the RGB stuff working reliably.
I don't see ever converting to 100% RGB since I like the effects that my LED mini lights give for certain elements,, but they will play a big part in my show moving forward.
The folks on this group have helped me tremendously and I am now adding Falcon controllers to the mix as needed.
I agree with other statements that you need spares.  Nothing is worse than having a section of your display go south because you don't have a spare.  It isn't like you can just go to AMAZON and have another controller on your doorstep in two days.

I guess my advice is plan ahead, but expect things to change as you get better with the whole hobby!
Start small and then build as budget permits.  Keeps the wife happy!
Add a little something each year until you are happy with everything in your yard.
Become very proficient in the software!  I will admit that I am still working to get the hang of Xlights, which is the 4th sequencing piece of software that I have had to learn over the years.  Appreciate all the work that has gone into the sequencers, they have come a long way since I started!!!
Remember that even if it is just a small change to your show, you are probably the only one who will notice, but anyone that comes by to see it will enjoy it just the same.
Have fun!

Enjoy your new hobby!
This comes from someone who has 14 16 channel AC controllers, wireless DMX, FPP, and is about to add around 1500 channels of RGB! and more money than I care to admit in the hobby!

Mike