Author Topic: New expensive hobby  (Read 1029 times)

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 63
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: New expensive hobby
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 08:52:27 PM »
Mike, your path sounds a lot like mine. What was your dlight handle?

Offline rlemery

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 09:35:30 PM »
Mike, my path was simular. Large static display for 30+ years then about 8 years ago a store bought controller with 12 ac channels and music. Then a couple years with lor. Now mostly pixels but I to like the look of led's. Only used 2000 or so this year but next year more pixels and all 12,000.leds. with many many trees and bushes led's are still the best.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

728 lor channels
5492 pixels

Offline kentd

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 03:49:02 PM »
Wow guys, I am glad I was a late comer to this hobby, 100% RGB, roof bullet ws2811 12 V mounted using boscoyo chroma on 1/2" conduit and clips from Holiday Coro 3" spacing and they look great. The only place I have strips is in my arches and they are now mounted to Boscoyo Pixel mounting strips with zip ties so tensioning is on the pixel strip not the light strip. I have used FPP on a Raspberry PI b+ from the beginning no problems. Falcon controllers, I fell into the trap of starting to order from Holiday Coro the AlphaPix controller and had one sent to me, the firmware had not been set where it belonged and I cancelled all controllers and went with the Falcon units and never looked back. BTW Holiday fixed the firmware but by then I was knowledgeable enough to know I wanted nothing to do with AlphaPix.
My suggestion is go 12 volt, go bullet pixel, plan use Xlights and have fun.
Kent Davis
Davis County UT

Offline Akareaper

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 08:42:02 AM »
My first year show, and I project $2,000 in costs, with a fluff rate closer to $2,500 after the "oops, I forgot" items.  16 string, 50 pixels per string semi-mega tree, 9 stars of 50 pixels each, 9 pixel tress of 100ea, 330 c9's spaced at 6" for house outlines. Mounting strips, pvc, etc.  ONE F16v3, expanded to 48 ports. Raspberry PI, PSU'S, Etc.  I was lucky enough to be able to get all of my cabling for power and data runs for free. I was able to get most of the materials for mega tree build for free. I'm counting on the controller to be as rock solid as everyone says. My sequencing depends on all elements running, so if it was split into multiple controllers, and any part failed, I would cancel the show until fixed regardless. I know, all eggs in one basket. Next year, about $1,500 added and that will fill my viewing area.

Offline shockem

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 04:40:51 PM »
I very new to the hobby my self but from being around everyone. 98% of them love the falcon. So I preorder a falcon f16v3 can't wait. And I'm going to power inject. But the boys, love the falcon, they say what to the others. It's like having a Cadillac to a ford!

Offline shockem

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 04:45:34 PM »
And it not a cheap hobby I been building my stuff for about 3 years now. But I'm going live this xmas.

Offline Yamr6rider

• Kudos: 1
  • Here we go!
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 06:48:06 PM »
Mike and Jon, what are you guys running your LEDS off of? LOR controllers? Arduinos with SSR boards? And how did you get that to play nice in xlights (if you used xlights).
Jon

Getting ideas together for my first year display:
 1 - Raspberry Pi3,  1 - Falcon F16V3 & 1 PiCap,  2 - 30A 360W PSU's (maybe 3)
12v Pixel strings - Mounted via holes drilled thru 1" PVC(3-4" spacing)

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 63
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »
Mike and Jon, what are you guys running your LEDS off of? LOR controllers? Arduinos with SSR boards? And how did you get that to play nice in xlights (if you used xlights).

I still have some LED strings running, but less each year. 23 string Marty Fan above the garage door may be the last one to get retired. They run on 16 channel AC boards (either Lynx Express or D-Light AC-16). I stopped using any LOR protocol five or six years ago when the LOR sequencer got serious about DMX and RGB and E1.31.  Now I'm 100% xLights programming and Falcon Player driven.

I actually own a single LOR board (16 channel DC for dumb pixels) but have never powered it up. It is my only actual LOR hardware ever.

Offline Tennessee17

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 10:46:19 PM »
Glad I found this forum.   Learn something new every day.

Couple more newbie questions.

Getting ready to order a Falcon v3 controller with diff board and receivers.
  It is  asking which pigtails I want,  diyledexpress, ray w or cfol (i think).   I am ordering my  smart rgb nodes and Brilliant c9 bubs from holiday cora.........WHICH PIGTAILS DO I WANT?     

Second question:   I am getting aa few 10watt rgb dumb floodlights.     Can these be run off a smart controller instead of a dumb controller.  I would have each floodlight on a separate channel.  ( i do not want to spend money on a extra dumb controller if I have excess band width on the smart ones)

Thanks in advance

Bill

P.S.   It appears that one of the main expo's is going to be in the Nashville Tenn area.  (I grew up around Nashville but now live in Memphis...3 hours way)    Would guess it would be worth it for me to go and learn.