Author Topic: Zero to Lights in 60 Days - I hope  (Read 1169 times)

Offline gilv58

• Kudos: 0
Re: Zero to Lights in 60 Days - I hope
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 02:41:30 PM »
Ken

thanks

That is what I thought.  It's maybe a channel address issue. I watched a video of a gentleman setting the PiCap to address nodes in a DMX controller. In the video the gentleman sets the DMX controller's address to 1. But he also has two strings of pixels connected to the PiCap, with string 1 starting at channel 1. I have pretty much the same set-up as the guy on the video and already had channels 1-300 "occupied" by those two strings so I set the CMB24-D to address 301. I set the start channel on FPP to 301 as well.

I am not sure I want to still seek to use the CMB24-D and some dumb RBGs - which I have now wrapped to 6 mini-trees.

Someone suggested I use the dumb strings to do some singing tress but after looking at a video on how to do it I think I like to do the signing tress (or light bulbs) using pixels instead of dumb nodes.

So I still don't know if I wish to pursue using the CMB24-D at all.

One thing for sure I need to get a better understanding of the channel and universe thing. Trying to keep things as simple as possible. And only taking one step at time making sure I understand what is going on before moving to the next step.
Gil V.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 34
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 03:26:29 PM »
One thing for sure I need to get a better understanding of the channel and universe thing. Trying to keep things as simple as possible. And only taking one step at time making sure I understand what is going on before moving to the next step.

It seems to me that the folks who like universes are the ones that have migrated to Falcon from SanDevices or Renards.  For those of us that came from a pixelnet (Lynx) controller background just dealing in channels seems to be easiest.  I just deal in channels since I use all Falcon equipment and it supports doing that.  Falcons handle absolute addressing just fine.  No need to think about universes.  If you did not learn by using universes I would just avoid it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline gilv58

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 07:17:34 PM »
Thanks jnealand

BTW love your avatar. I will follow you advice and try not not worry about Universes. I am still having a hard time setting channels up in xLights. My set-up in FPP/PiCap seems to be ok. I can light up all 600 channels (2 strings of 300 channels each) running the FPP test mode.

But for some reason xLights seems to stop half way up the second arch (450 channels ??? )

Again this channel stuff is a bit though for me to grasp

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:31:18 PM by gilv58 »

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 07:21:17 PM »
Progress is like chocolate chip cookies.  They are all good, but some are better than the others.  LOL  Just keep moving forward.

Offline gilv58

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 07:56:08 PM »
I am still having channel assignment issues (I think) between xLights and FPP

Hopefully someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 01:25:27 PM »
The only thing I would change is to use 512 channels per universe in xlights network setup.  I have 48 universes of 512 for my show.  510 is for controllers that need universe and channel within universe designation like a San Device controller and others that cannot go straight thru with 512 channels.  Falcon does not have that problem.  Those universe numbers mean nothing to my show.  The only thing that matters is that I have enough total channels to cover all my props.  Also I leave gaps in my channel assignments in lots of places for future use and because it make my assignments "feel" better in terms of arrangement.  I reserve the first 512 channels for DMX props and start my pixels at 513 because it is easier to figure out and less problematic to keep the first 512 as dedicated to DMX AC props.  I've also learned that for testing with FPP is is best if your 3rd channel number is evenly divisible by 3.  That is because when FPP was first written and you wanted to turn on all Red the program started with red as channel 1, green as channel 2 and blue as channel 3 and then just incremented by 3s.  So channel 300 in a color test will always be blue (this is FPP testing not controller testing).

Offline gilv58

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »
I have set the CMB24-D aside for now.

While waiting for the Chinese New Year to be over and the subsequent arrival of my F16-V2R I am getting to learn both xLights and the nebulous world of channel setting.
With two pixel strips attached to a PiCap. I installed two 100 pixel node strings to each output port on the PiCap. First string has 300 channels (1-300), and the second string channels 301 - 600. Running the test mode I can get all the pixels on both strings to light up. I can get control all 600 channels very well...in the FPP test mode.
Next I wrote a simple sequence in xLights. I created two models each with 100 nodes.  Arch 1 has channels 1-300 and  Arch 2 channels 301-600.

At best I can drive the first string and part of the second string. It looks like xLights can not drive pixels on channels 513 - 600.

I have followed the advice of nor worring about universes, but I still can seem to have xLights drive channels above 512.

Any ideas?

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 05:42:04 AM »
Are you using xLights to run this program or are you transferring it to the FPP?

Offline gilv58

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 06:55:10 AM »
K-State

I am running the sequence using FPP.

I save the xLights sequence file on the Mac. Then I upload the file into the Pi using FPP file upload, in FPPs File Maintenance tab. In FPP, I created a playlist which includes that sequence and I schedule the playlist.  The playlist plays as scheduled.  And like I said using FPP's test, I can set all 600 channels to what ever color I wish, run the test chases, etc. Of course I can also play the sequence in the test section of FPP. I just wanted to learn how to do a play list and schedule in FPP. FFPP seems to be working fine.

BTW these are the lights I have connected to my PiCap.  I donpt think they are the problems as I can drive them in FPP test mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BAeLA_-gQE

I am almost certain the issue lays with the way I have defined the channels in xLights or in FPP.

The video I used to help be set my PiCap up does not cover this as the gentleman only has some 73 pixels -219 channels. Again I believe my troubles are due to me wanting to address more than 512 (or 510 not sure) channels with my set up.

One more thing there is a strange behavior. I set up a slow leaping arch chase in xLights. The chase goes from one string to the other - starts on channel 1 goes to channel 600 than back to channel 1. As the chase moves up the second string, it "stops" 3/2 of the way up (up to channel 512 my guess) but instead of the chase bouncing back immediate there is a slight delay as if it was "trying" to drive channels 512 to 600 and 600 back down to 1. So the chase goes out for a few seconds then it resumes is way back down the second string and down the first string.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:32:30 PM by gilv58 »

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 09:30:57 AM »
My first thought is to delete the fseq file in xlights and then open the xml and save the file to create a new fseq.  You must do the delete when the file is not open.  I'm just guessing that there may be some artifacts in the seq from earlier learning with xlights.  Deleting the file makes xlights recreate it.

Offline gilv58

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 01:35:45 PM »
jnealand

Thanks and please allow me to show my ignorance.... xml file? what xml file? I see there is an xml file with the same name as the sequence (fseq) but I do nothing with that file. Am I supposed to upload the file to FPP as well?

The plot thickens

Thanks for your help

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:00:35 PM by gilv58 »

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 70
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »
The named "xml" file is the most important sequence file and is backed up easily using the F10 function key.

The FSEQ file is what actually plays a sequence but it is purely digital data and can't be edited by normal humans.

So, don't delete the xml file because you can't get it back except from a copy.
The FSEQ file will get recreated every time you Save your xLights sequence. Delete it, it comes right back.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 02:48:24 PM »
When you open a sequence in xlights you are really opening the xml file, not the fseq file.  XML is the blueprint  / plans for your sequence.  Fseq is the final built product that does not get "edited" or "changed", at least for all practical purposes, but the xlights can update parts and can sometimes leave parts that were done a long time ago that you thought had been erased, hence the term artifacts.  You should install a program on your computer called notepad++.  With this program you can open the xml file and look at it and as sometimes directed you can also make changes directly using notepad++, but don't do that if you don't understand it.  Notepad++ is free and can be found doing a web search.  You will also see other xml files in your show folder.  xlight_rgbeffects.xml is your layout and models,  xlights_networks.xml is your network configuration and there are other xml files.  Feel free to open them and look at them, just never save them when you exit the program and nothing will get changed.   You might learn some more interesting stuff.

Offline gilv58

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2017, 06:29:51 PM »
jnealand

You seem to be correct. I tried what you suggested but I still can't get channels past 512 to light up. After messing with the models a bit I created two arches but I simply turned the lights on to a solid color - blue. Well some of the pixels in start channels light up red for a while then they turn solid blue. And still no channels above 512 light up.

In xLights when I see the models while selecting the second model - channels 301 - 600, the image shows just part of the arch light. Pretty much corresponding to the part of the actual light string that lights up. The model of the first arch  channels 1- 300

Here is a video of the sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aqea60314U

and pics of models in xLight

So I am still lost but now I guess we can point at xLights.

These chocolate chip cookies are getting plentiful. Good thing I have a few months to figure this out.

Offline gilv58

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 06:31:24 PM »
jnealand

You seem to be correct. I tried what you suggested but I still can't get channels past 512 to light up. After messing with the models a bit I created two arches but I simply turned the lights on to a solid color - blue. Well some of the pixels in start channels light up red for a while then they turn solid blue. And still no channels above 512 light up.

In xLights when I see the models while selecting the second model - channels 301 - 600, the image shows just part of the arch light. Pretty much corresponding to the part of the actual light string that lights up. The model of the first arch  channels 1- 300. Furthermore the house image shows a strange image of both arches

Here is a video of the sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aqea60314U

and pics of models in xLight

So I am still lost but now I guess we can point at xLights.

These chocolate chip cookies are getting plentiful. Good thing I have a few months to figure this out.