A couple years ago I posted some pictures of my lawn border with candy canes containing LED rope light and large C9 bulbs containing dumb RGB nodes. http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,893.msg23695.html#msg23695
This year, I decided to move those existing sections to the side of the driveway and make some new sections with Boscoyo arches.
The "giant" C9 bulbs are from a clearance sale at True Value back in 2014 I believe, and the only place I've found them is a Chinese web site with a minimum order of 1000 so I don't know if you would have much luck in locating them if you wanted to replicate. I think I cleaned out the store when they were on deep clearance so I have around 264 of these bulbs and have only used a little less than 100 so far. I'd like to line the remaining parts of the driveway and sidewalk with simple fence railing border and C9 bulbs, possibly in 2018.
I wanted to do triple nested arches and my wife was on board after seeing some of Logan's videos. I talked with James about his arches this summer at Expo and found that he had a 1' radius arch but didn't have them in his store because it was hard to bend pipe into that small of a radius to support the arch. I told him I was interested anyway and that I would figure something out. I ended up using some 1/4" galvanized rod that was already bent into circles. I just had to cut to length and bend to a slightly tighter radius.
For the new sections, I used RGB bullet pixels instead of dumb RGB which was the only thing I had available when I did the previous border. i will probably go back and retrofit the older ones this year if I have time. The "C9" bulbs are about 12" apart but are spaced to be in the center of the open areas between the arches, so they are really variable spacing. The bullet pixels in the C9's are actually 6" spacing, because I didn't want to custom order a couple strings just to get 12" spacing, so there are actually hidden pixels inside the fence railing.
Each Boscoyo small arch has 20 pixels, the medium has 32 and the large has 51. Add in 11 pixels for the C9 bulbs and I have 144 pixels per arch "set". Each arch set is about 6'2" long and I had a 55' area to cover, so I made four 12'4" sections with 2 arch sets and a single 6'2" section with one arch set. Each section is a single continuous string of 288 pixels with all interconnecting wires between arches hidden inside the fence railing. For the 12' sections, I ran one power/data cable in from a F16v2 differential receiver board and then injected power at the end coming from a power distro board. The 6' section just needed the single power/data cable and was run directly from a F16v2 since the differential receiver was full. I ran the arch pixels at 50% and the C9 pixels at 100% using F16v2 Virtual Strings, but I will probably reduce the arches a little more next year, when I reduce the house pixels which I have been running at 100% for the past 2 years. All-in, I think it is 1026 pixels running off a single power supply since the arches themselves are at 50%. I rarely run full white so I'm not taxing the power supply at all normally. Each arch is a separate Virtual String and each segment of C9 bulbs with an arch set is another Virtual String. The F16v2 really made setup of this a lot easier. xLights sees the large arches as one continuous string of channels/pixels, when in fact they are scattered all around physically.
The PVC pipe and 1/4" galvanized rod to support the arches actually go through both the top and middle layer of the fence railing. In the open area at the bottom of the railing, I have a 1/2" EMT conduit running through PVC T's connected to the ends of the arch supports. This is the same as described on BoscoyoStudios.com. The top compartment of the arches was used for wiring.
I think there are 15 splices in each 12' section and 7 in the 6' section. I used the solder sleeves with an additional 3/8" dual-wall shrink over top in most cases, but there were a few where I forgot to put the dual-wall on first so I just relied on the smaller solder sleeves for protection. Here in the Pacific NorthWest, I need to make sure things are water tight. The inter-connecting cables between arches is some 4-conductor 16/2 I picked up at a garage sale, a spool of 500' for $5.
I made a simple jig to pre-bend the PVC pipe, I put the a bunch of pieces of pipe in the jig with a couple bungee cords to help keep them in a round shape, then let it sit like that for a day or so in the garage before trying to assemble the arches.
I hang the arch sections upside down in the garage similar to the existing candy-cane sections as seen in the last picture. I used standard shelf brackets screwed into the wall/beam and just hang the sections upside down on the shelf brackets. My garage has 10.5' ceilings, so I still have about 7' of clearance beneath the large arch.
We get rather high winds every November/December so I picked up some black fence posts to support the arches, the kind used for simple garden fences. These are actually plastic with a steel spike that goes into the ground. I put one post into the ground at the middle of each arch set and zip tied the top of the large arch to the fence post.