Author Topic: Running dumb gear from a falcon port with Hanson 2811DC15/30  (Read 864 times)

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 11
Running dumb gear from a falcon port with Hanson 2811DC15/30
« on: January 29, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »
I know, I KNOW, dumb rgb gear isn't really much cheaper if at all to smart but recall dumb gear is ANYTHING besides smart pixels.  IE my spots.  These are 10W 12v led garden lights I have been running for a few years from a DLA dumb string controller (DSC).  I've been looking to replace the large DSC enclosure since mine are frame mounted but I did like the fact these were pixelnet based so I didn't need to fool with dmx or else but just plug into the DLA hub to run them.  Enter the 2811DC15...  http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/2811dc15/ The 2811DC30 is similar but runs 30 channels.  Alan Hanson is a member here (AAH) and is a well known wizard of holiday lighting on the Aussie forum. 

I had been looking for years for something to do this and this little controller has been around longer than that and it was literally underneath my nose the whole time. It has been available since 2013 and is quite popular in AUS. The controller is essentially 5 pixel ICs that are used to drive/control DC channels instead of pixels.  They will drive a variety of DC power from 5-35VDC. (I plan to fool with 50W rgb floods that need 35v)  Channel assignment is not necessary on the 2811DC itself as it is just like a pixel and done via done sequencer and a port of a F16v1/2/3 or ANYTHING that can drive a 2811 pixel, which is ALOT.  While you can add a dedicated power supply to the board I plan to run a few of mine right off the power of the F16 port since 4 of my spots are well under 4A.  I did a quick video to demonstrate.  https://vimeo.com/201548919

If you are interested in some of these controllers please post as I am gauging interest to see if a group buy would be a good idea but we'd need to hit 50 before it would be worthwhile.  Not affiliated or anything just think folks could benefit from this controller.   
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline Duane Johnson

• Kudos: 2
    • Johnson Lights
Re: Running dumb gear from a falcon port with Hanson 2811DC15/30
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 01:21:26 AM »
I'd be in for 1-2 if a group buy formed.

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 14
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 03:59:00 AM »
  Video looks good Sam. It's something that I've been going to do for a while for lots of boards.
  For testing purposes the way that you've hooked the power from the Dout terminal across to the DC power terminal is okay. There's some "current" issues with doing it this way. The 2 pixel connectors are only rated at 7.5A and the tracks between the Din and Dout terminals are only good for about 5A or so. If you are using the same power for both then you are better off connecting to the DC input terminals with the 12V and looping across to the Din terminal. The DC input terminal is rated for 30A.
  On a separate note that camera you are using handles the massive changes in brightness really well.
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue of my blinky bits
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 08:57:43 AM »
Your wiring scheme makes good sense.  I will fix that.  So conceivably, this controller can be a 1 wire hookup (data) provided it gets power from DC input loop?  Cool stuff.  I will test... 

Video was really down in the dirty from cellphone.  I am normally a "use dslr/tripod/multiple takes/edit in vegas/make it look pro" type...    ;D 

Offline AAH

• Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »
For data security you should always run the data and ground from the pixel controller or last pixel as high speed signals do some weird stuff. Even though there may be continuity through the wiring unless it's a pair of cables there's a probability of data corruption.

Your wiring scheme makes good sense.  I will fix that.  So conceivably, this controller can be a 1 wire hookup (data) provided it gets power from DC input loop?  Cool stuff.  I will test... 

Video was really down in the dirty from cellphone.  I am normally a "use dslr/tripod/multiple takes/edit in vegas/make it look pro" type...    ;D

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 07:18:13 AM »
Makes me wish I ordered just one more....grr my planning was a little off and I'm one element short (I have one more element but not one more port :()

Any who for a test/fun I have mine running off a 12v supply and getting its data from a picap.  Run the test through FPP and you see pretty lights :)

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 10:04:10 AM »
I thought there would be more interest in a group buy but I guess I was wrong.  I need a few more myself.  I spent a few days running my komblinkin (5v) from a 12v F16v1 port and it works perfectly.  I used a 10cent 5v voltage regulator to drop it down while still powering the rest of the board 12v.  That said, I am being told a buck convertor is the best way to do it but they are really expensive compared to the regulator...  90cents.   ;D 

I should point out that Alan's site prices are AUS$ NOT US.  I have deliberately stayed away from throwing prices out for a GB but I will throw caution in the wind in an effort to stir up interest for group buy.   ::)  I would estimate if a GB of 50 controllers were met these things could potentially be under $20 a piece but no promises.  If you are remotely interested, just post and tell me how many.  Then if we hit 50, we will do our due diligence and get pricing/formal GB.  Maybe I should start a new thread?   

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 10:16:07 AM »
Unfortunately I wouldn't need much, only need 1 or two more (so I can have a spare)

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 02:55:51 PM »

Sam, have you seen Dave Lovely's Pixel DCSSR? It is a smaller version of this with only 3 channels and cost about $5 as a kit.
https://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pixel_DCSSR    8)

A few years ago, I thought the same as you Sam, that this would be extremely useful and was overlooked.  But there hasn't been much interest in it either and the kits are out of stock. I suspect they could be restocked if there was renewed interest in this sort of thing.

I bought a kit of 4 (12 channels total) but ended up never using them :(

Vixen and xLights for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline AAH

• Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 05:07:46 PM »
The design that is used in the Dave Lovely design will "work" but the dimming curve will be affected by the shortcut used in the design. He has used a quad optocoupler to go from the output of the 2811 pixel chip to drive the gates of the mosfets via 470ohm resistors with 10k resistors used as pull downs to turn off the mosfet during the "off" period of the 2811 timing cycle. Because mosfet gates are fairly capacitive (240pF for 13N06 as used) this means that they will be turned on slowish and turned off slowly. With my 2811DC design I drive the gates both high and low via 47 ohm gate resistors and 74AC14 inverters to ensure about the fastest possible turn on and off times and as faithful as possible dimming curves that match the data that is sent to the 2811 chip. The slow turning on and off means that the mosfet will get hotter as well and the 16A moset used compared to 80A one I use also makes a significant difference.

Sam, have you seen Dave Lovely's Pixel DCSSR? It is a smaller version of this with only 3 channels and cost about $5 as a kit.
https://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pixel_DCSSR    8)

A few years ago, I thought the same as you Sam, that this would be extremely useful and was overlooked.  But there hasn't been much interest in it either and the kits are out of stock. I suspect they could be restocked if there was renewed interest in this sort of thing.

I bought a kit of 4 (12 channels total) but ended up never using them :(