Author Topic: F16V3 presale has began.  (Read 3485 times)

Offline rstehle

• Kudos: 0
Re: F16V3 presale has began.
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 09:28:29 AM »
Welcome to the madness, er, hobby.  You really need to provide a lot more info before any of us can provide any guidance on what to purchase.   You might post a pic of your house and give us an idea of what you are thinking about putting pixels on, eaves, gables, gutters, outlining, snowflakes, spinners.....  Anything in the yard, Mega Tree, Arches, Mini Trees, etc., etc.  Once we can see your canvas, we can share some suggestions for the types of add-ons you might need.

Offline jtrpop

• Jason Rasmussen
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 09:39:49 AM »
This is my first year RGB, and purchased one F16v3 with differential expansion, four receivers, mounts and power distro board for each power supply. I've heard others saying to keep a spare controller. How often does this really happen?

How often do you have an auto accident or a fire in your dwelling?  But you still have insurance don't you.  Don't you!!!!  You should.

It is also nice to have a unit to be able to use for working on things in your workshop when the regular equipment has been deployed for a show.  Even when the show is running it seems I always have something being repaired or a new prop being built that has yet to be deployed that never got finished before show time.  I still have two singing Chromabulbs sitting here learning how to talk and sing good enough to be allowed to be in the show, LOL.

Dang it! I just ordered another F16v3, differential receiver, 2x power distro boards and a mount to go along with my spare 12v and 5v power supplies. Hopefully they remain as test/spars, but they will be there if needed.

Offline YetiRebel

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 01:34:48 PM »
I'm attaching a picture of this year's setup.  I'd definitely like to do the window frames, gables, eaves, roof line, and I'm dying to have a better MEGA tree!  I should mention that I want at least 3 jumpers, like those Johnson jumpers/leapers!

Offline Mharnish

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »
As far as needing expansions, you don't really need them unless you need more than 16 ports at the controller.  There is limited distance the prop can be from the controller so a lot of people will have multiple controllers and place them strategically around their property.  Doing this you probably will not need any expansion boards.

If you have some props further away from the main controller and don't want to have multiple F16's then you can use the F16 Differential Receiver boards which allow you to run a prop up to ~200ft away from the main controller with a power supply at the prop as the Diff Receiver only transmits data, not power.

I bought an expansion board last year and never used it as I just put additional F16's around my property.  This year I will use one as I am building a mega tree with 32 strands of 150 pixels each so I need the additional ports so I can run all 32 strands without needing to inject power.  I could also do it without the expansion and run 16 ports of 300 pixels each but I would need to power inject.  This is a good example of the options you have and you need to determine what you are comfortable with.  I prefer not to inject power and power everything off the main controller but with the Power distro boards it makes it much easier to inject power.

As you can see there are multiple ways of doing things and you have to figure out what works for your setup.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Offline YetiRebel

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 08:57:42 AM »
thanks!

Offline YetiRebel

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »
best location to purchase pixel lights and best brand?  Would love to do a mega tree like you are talking about.  How tall will it be, and what spacing are you going to do?
thanks in advance, and sorry for all the questions!!

Offline bowhunter3125

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2017, 11:06:06 AM »
best location to purchase pixel lights and best brand?  Would love to do a mega tree like you are talking about.  How tall will it be, and what spacing are you going to do?

Several places on the internet to purchase Nodes. There really is no brands, you just want make sure you get WS2811 pixels, those are the "smart" pixels. Several places are holding presales right now where you can get them for a lower price, however, i have done the shopping and the calculation, Ray Wu is still beating all the presales. you will want to email him and ask him to send you an invoice, the Alibaba store always inflates the shipping costs.

Offline Babybear

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2017, 03:10:11 PM »
  Mega trees
That all comes up to what you like. what I'm seeing on average is 80 nodes high with a 2" spacing. Then 18 to 24 strands wide. the tree is just over 13 feet tall then a space at the bottom and a star or something on top, your up to 20 feet.  My tree for next season will be 150 nodes high but with only a 1" spacing. 24 strands wide and a 4' 171 node star on top. because of snow and gifts under the tree I'll hit 20 feet. I'm looking for higher resolution for graphics so I'm the odd one. My first year I had no music but had a 20 minute sequence with no effect lasting more than 30 seconds. Longer effects and people will lose interest.  Now load up Xlights, setup up different models of trees, 60, 80, and 100 tall with different widths, see what you like.     
JimmyG
Rochester, New York

Offline jtrpop

• Jason Rasmussen
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 09:24:44 AM »

Several places on the internet to purchase Nodes. There really is no brands, you just want make sure you get WS2811 pixels, those are the "smart" pixels. Several places are holding presales right now where you can get them for a lower price, however, i have done the shopping and the calculation, Ray Wu is still beating all the presales. you will want to email him and ask him to send you an invoice, the Alibaba store always inflates the shipping costs.
So that's the trick with shipping from Ray? The high shipping cost kept me away. I ordered my 1st year RGB pixels from Diyledexpress. I still should be in good hands.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Offline nutz4lights

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 11:00:26 AM »

Ray Wu is still beating all the presales. you will want to email him and ask him to send you an invoice, the Alibaba store always inflates the shipping costs.
So that's the trick with shipping from Ray? The high shipping cost kept me away. I ordered my 1st year RGB pixels from Diyledexpress. I still should be in good hands.

I remember Gil had a post where he suggested that the Ali shipping total was close in amount to what he received in quote from Ray. I was surprised by his comment at the time after exclusively buying from Ray for the last four years thru quotes direct from Ray, but Gil had real data.  For just lights (extension cords and pigtails cost a higher percentage to ship) my historical shipping percentage is typically around 18% of the light cost from Ray ($1000 lights = $180 shipping).  I don't know if any of the vendors have a policy of "free shipping on orders over $500 or $1000", but I'd love to hear how the 18% compares to the U.S. vendors.

Louie

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 12:13:35 PM »
my historical shipping percentage is typically around 18% of the light cost from Ray ($1000 lights = $180 shipping).  I don't know if any of the vendors have a policy of "free shipping on orders over $500 or $1000", but I'd love to hear how the 18% compares to the U.S. vendors.
I've been buying exclusively from DIYLEDexpress and the shipping averaged around 6%-7% of the total. I paid $60 shipping on my last order of $1000 so that's quite a bit less than Ray is it not?
Vixen3, FPP, F16v2, xL4

Offline nutz4lights

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »
I've been buying exclusively from DIYLEDexpress and the shipping averaged around 6%-7% of the total. I paid $60 shipping on my last order of $1000 so that's quite a bit less than Ray is it not?
Absolutely! Thanks for the data point. Although, where are you with respect to DIYLED?  If you're close, then it's not a complete comparison (for instance east coast west coast, and I'm not talking Biggie vs. Tupac).  I am on the east coast of Florida which is about as far from China as one could get. Someone in California may have better numbers with Ray.

Louie

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 01:46:15 PM »
Thanks for the data point. Although, where are you with respect to DIYLED?  If you're close, then it's not a complete comparison... I am on the east coast of Florida which is about as far from China as one could get.
Good point.  I should have specified location as it does affect shipping.   I'm in Texas and DIYLED ships from Wisconsin.  I would think shipping from Wisconsin to Florida would be roughly the same.  And I don't have any shipping numbers from Ray, but I would think shipping from China to TX is roughly the same as shipping from China to FL

Offline jeremy0203

• Kudos: -1
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
my historical shipping percentage is typically around 18% of the light cost from Ray ($1000 lights = $180 shipping).  I don't know if any of the vendors have a policy of "free shipping on orders over $500 or $1000", but I'd love to hear how the 18% compares to the U.S. vendors.

Looking at DIYLEDexpress though their normal price for a 50ct 12v is $17.25 whereas for Ray it is like $12.50

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 02:46:07 PM »
Looking at DIYLEDexpress though their normal price for a 50ct 12v is $17.25 whereas for Ray it is like $12.50
I paid $13.41 during  DIYLE pre-sale and they are 18awg wire 120mm spacing.  I just did a quick peek at Ray's store and looks to me like his price is $13 with 20awg wire 100mm spacing.