Author Topic: Where to start? Controller Configuration or XLights Network Configuration?  (Read 144 times)

Offline Ken

• Kudos: 0
This will be my first year using pixels and I'm trying figure out where to start.  I think I've got a descent understanding of the hardware involved and right now I'm planning on using XLights and a F16v3 to control a 24 strand tree and 4 matrix's that are basically just going to be net lights for some bushes on either side of the tree. 

I've watched several videos of people configuring the F16's and the XLights networks but I still haven't figured out which one I should do first.  Do I need to use a spreadsheet to map out where each element / string / prop will connect to the F16 first?  Or do I design the props and the layout in XLights first?  Or does it not really matter which one I start with? 

Right now I'm thinking that I need to start with the F16 configuration and then map that to XLights but I don't want to start down that path only to realize later that I should have started somewhere else.  Any guidance you guys are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Offline rstehle

• Kudos: 0
Re: Where to start? Controller Configuration or XLights Network Configuration?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:52:31 PM »
You can do everything in xlights without worrying about any controllers.  Set up your layout, learn xlights, do your sequencing and even create a show schedule.  Once you have your controller(s), you can decide on channel assignments.  Have fun!

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 33
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »
Just create a network with how many universe you want in xlights and get started with sequencing.  Once you get controllers and figure out your connection, just go back, update the network and resave the sequence files.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline keithsw1111

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »
As long as you follow some simple rules you can configure everything in XLights and then upload your configuration to both fpp and your f16v3. The main rule is when you have a prop that requires multiple outputs on your f16 do them in numerical order. If you can avoid virtual strings and colour reordering on the f16 then you should never need to setup anything of your f16 other than an IP address. I posted some videos on my YouTube channel just before Christmas demonstrating this.