Author Topic: DIY noob please explain the zig zag feature for me  (Read 4767 times)

Offline uzelessknowledge

• Kudos: 2
Re: DIY noob please explain the zig zag feature for me
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 09:15:10 PM »

It's better (not always easier) to built the models correctly with the actual pixel layout in Xlights4 ie with the correct zig and zag. I have seen some effects not work as expected when the zigzag is done in hardware.
I originally had my megatrees as 100x16 as a model but changed to 50x32 to match the real world due to effects no always being right.

I actually think getting it right in the software is better as it keeps the hardware config as simple as possible especially if you have to replace a failed item.

See I disagree, if you do it this way it limits you in that you then can't use pixel overlays for those models.
Hey Daryl. Why not? I ran my matrix this way because I shared the output with my arches. I setup the FPP matrix overlay and it ran fine.
Not saying your wrong, but just saying it worked for me by not zigzagging in the controller.

Offline Gilrock

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 08:52:55 AM »
That seems strange to me.  Sharing the data with other display elements is a reason to NOT do the zig zag in xlights.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 09:00:48 AM »
I have been primarily using DLA controllers which don't support hardware zigzag, so I would just do it in the xlights model definition instead.   

There are obviously pros and cons ... The zigzag in xlights has worked great.   It's nice to have options.

Offline uzelessknowledge

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 07:53:56 PM »

That seems strange to me.  Sharing the data with other display elements is a reason to NOT do the zig zag in xlights.
How would you do it with the controller? I know the falcon f16v2 makes it easy with the virtual strings, but before that the controller zig zagged the entire port.
Doing it in xLights made it work. Like my small trees are 1 string with 8 strands. I did the same for my matrix; 1 string 30 strands.
Then I set up the matrix tools the same way and it all played nicely together.

Should I do it differently?

Offline Gilrock

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 07:24:14 AM »
If you're doing everything in xLights then I don't think it matters where you do the string folding just don't do it in both places.  Use whatever you prefer.  My preference was formed from having to spend hours upon hours using a clipboard flipper to flip data I had created in LOR.  I wasted a bunch of time couple years ago because I didn't know the controller I had could even do the zig zag for me.  So I got into the habit of always creating straight up data and let the controller fix it.  I know the J1SYS and the Falcon boards can do zig zag on a portion of an output.  If you have a controller that can't do that then smash it with a hammer and buy a Falcon.

Offline Skunberg

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 08:32:07 AM »
I've used zig zag on the E682 without issue. Personally I prefer to do it at the controller but I don't think it matters. It was put in controllers first to help with sequencing. Not that it is in the software too, it really doesn't matter.

Offline uzelessknowledge

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 08:37:38 AM »

I know the J1SYS and the Falcon boards can do zig zag on a portion of an output.  If you have a controller that can't do that then smash it with a hammer and buy a Falcon.
I hear ya. Yup just in one place.
Well it's an Advatek controller and works nicely. I have a falcon for this year and hope to buy 2 more. Just hope David doesn't pull out a v3 or something after I get them. I know he has the new expansion board in the works but that's not for me...yet. I don't have that big of a yard to need it. I hit over 40' with a uAmp.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 69
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 09:27:30 AM »
I will always be trying to one up the last creation. :) But do not let that hold you back.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline uzelessknowledge

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »

I will always be trying to one up the last creation. :) But do not let that hold you back.
Just money right David?

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 12
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 06:23:44 AM »

I couldn't agree more.  I still have an F16v2 BETA board and it works just as good as the current boards even though it doesn't have the OLED display or extra buttons.  (I'm hoping someday it will be a collector's item or a museum piece and worth millions  :D )
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)

This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 49
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 10:29:16 AM »
I'm hoping someday it will be a collector's item or a museum piece and worth millions  :D

Mark you might be better off with a single powerball ticket.  LOL  But after I win it, I think I will just hire all you crack display artists to build and put up my 2016 display on my new mansion.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Falcon and Lynx, all 12v
Multisync with Pi and BBB
P10 and P5

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 09:33:38 PM »

But after I win it, I think I will just hire all you crack display artists to build and put up my 2016 display on my new mansion.

LMAO Hey Jim When did you move to California!?

Roger

Offline stevej

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 08:44:18 AM »
For the next noob that comes by...  I'm using a Pi hat and didn't see an obvious way to specify the zigzag in the controller.  As such, I have effectively one long string specified in the controller.  When I tried to specify the matrix in xlights for my XxY matric as Y strings each with X lights and 1 strand/string, all the rows started from the same side.  That is, every other row was backwards due to the zigzag.  I figured out that if I told xlights that it was Y/2 strings each with 2X lights and 2strands/string that it worked as expected.  This requires some extra work if your Y is odd.

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 31
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 09:12:10 AM »
For the next noob that comes by...  I'm using a Pi hat and didn't see an obvious way to specify the zigzag in the controller.  As such, I have effectively one long string specified in the controller.  When I tried to specify the matrix in xlights for my XxY matric as Y strings each with X lights and 1 strand/string, all the rows started from the same side.  That is, every other row was backwards due to the zigzag.  I figured out that if I told xlights that it was Y/2 strings each with 2X lights and 2strands/string that it worked as expected.  This requires some extra work if your Y is odd.

Just a note:  the "beta" versions of the new Raspberry Pi images do support zig zag and other settings for the PiHat's.

Dan Kulp