Author Topic: Garage Door Interference with 6.25MHz Clock  (Read 623 times)

Offline bjarmstr

• Kudos: 0
Garage Door Interference with 6.25MHz Clock
« on: February 12, 2017, 01:11:01 PM »
I have a F16V2 controller mounted up high on the wall in my garage.  If the controller is on I can't open the garage door due to interference.  Someone I know has a spectrum analyzer and I gave him my power supply, light strings and controller board to check.  He says that the interference is coming from the 6.25MHz Clock on the controller and then this travels down all the wires. Any chance that this clock is just used if you have 4 string controllers (I only have 3 string controllers) and I can some how turn it off?  Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be great.

My work around this winter was to purchase a wifi power plug.  An app turns off the power to the board, open the door and then turn the power back on.   My phone won't run this app so I would really like a better solution.

Thanks
Jean
(love my F16V2, it was easy to figure out and works great!)

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 42
Re: Garage Door Interference with 6.25MHz Clock
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 04:39:13 PM »
Garage opener problems have been around for a long time, but everything I've read traces it to the pixel light strings and not to the controller.  This has been a problem long before the F16v2 even existed.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline bjarmstr

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 11:14:02 AM »

Since, in my case, the interference has been pinpointed to the 6.25MHz Clock on the control board I was hoping that someone here might know a bit about how the board is made and if there is any chance it can be modified. Could it be my particular clock happens to have this problem and other F16V2's don't?  Do lots of users have these control boards running in their garage without any problems?
In November, when I first had this trouble, I searched the forums for ideas to fix the interference problem.  It appears that some people have troubles caused by the power supply and some by the type of lights.  I admit, I was hoping that the power supply was the cause of my troubles as that is the easiest to replace. 

I tried most of the ideas that I read about. 
-trying a different power supply -no success
-making a "windsurfer" parabolic reflector to try and focus my garage door antenna -no success
-placing tin foil around the controller to shield it -no success
-placing a large 4x4 sheet of tin foil beside the door opener to shield it on the controller side -limited success (I could open the door as long as no light strings were attached
-placing a ferrule on the power line and on each of the light strings -limited success (If I only have 1 light string this worked but plugging in more than that it didn't)  ** I don't really know much about how ferrules work so this maybe still has some possibilities for success

I didn't try replacing my garage door opener as I wasn't sure if I could purchase one that would work better.  My present opener is only 10 years old.  It runs at 318MHz.

Any other ideas on what to try would be awesome
Jean

Offline BruinGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 12:13:26 PM »
LED lighting, in general, is a problem with garage door openers.  Many LED lights emit high frequency radiation.  I got a new Genie last year and put an LED light bulb in it that comes on when the door is opened.  I couldn't use the remote further than 10 feet from the garage door when that light was on.  I replaced it with a CFL bulb and everything got much better.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 01:33:09 PM »
Its the lights, controller just happens to be part of the problem as a whole.  I don't have an F16v2 anywhere near my garage door (~100 feet away) but I do have 2811s outlining the door and eve above.  Once the pixels have power I see the problem