Author Topic: Pushed +12V in while jumpered for +5V  (Read 350 times)

Offline dconley1964

• Kudos: 0
Pushed +12V in while jumpered for +5V
« on: March 01, 2017, 11:06:05 AM »
I was working with 5V 2811 pixels while powering my controller with the same supply via external power connector.  The pixels were acting erratically and I noticed that my voltage was dropping down to about 4.7V.  I read in the install guide that running pixels and the system off the can supply can cause problems so I decided to re-jumper for 12V on V2.  I missed a pin on the jumpers and ended up setting for 5V on V2.  Once I applied power the main power fuse blew after about 3 seconds.  I regrouped an resolved my error but now I get no response regardless of the power option.  I pulled the E1.31 board off the riser and did a close examination under a magnifying glass, but don't see any physical damage  There are two diodes adjacent to the regulator board and the larger of the two (the one parallel to the bottom of the board) reads dead short both ways.  Any help will be appreciated.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 60
Re: Pushed +12V in while jumpered for +5V
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »
Yeah. The diode needs to be replaced. I can send you one. PM me with address.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline dconley1964

• Kudos: 0
Re: Pushed +12V in while jumpered for +5V
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »
Finally got a chance to replace that diode, thanks David Pitts, and everything is happy again.  I believe there is a lot to be said for not running 5v pixels and the controller off the same 5v supply.  I was having erratic behavior before, which lead to my diode problem, but NoW that I am running the controller off 12 v it's working perfectly.