Author Topic: New Expansion board connection order  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 2
New Expansion board connection order
« on: March 06, 2017, 05:03:54 AM »
I want to run my F16V2R in 48 port mode. Is there any reason I can't connect a new differential expansion board to an F16V2R and then connect last years model of standard 16 port expansion or differential expansion board?   Since the new boards have 2 20 pin connections I hope that I can just buy the new differential expansion boards to upgrade my last years F16V2Rs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline darylc

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
Re: New Expansion board connection order
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:47:06 AM »
I want to run my F16V2R in 48 port mode. Is there any reason I can't connect a new differential expansion board to an F16V2R and then connect last years model of standard 16 port expansion or differential expansion board?   Since the new boards have 2 20 pin connections I hope that I can just buy the new differential expansion boards to upgrade my last years F16V2Rs.

I don't believe I've seen an iron clad commitment to support 48 port mode on the F16V2.  I'm sure David would like to implement this if it's technically possible but it would be way after the F16V3 ships best case.

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 06:28:08 PM »
My understanding was that the F16V2R would work with the new boards and would support 48 pixels. Of course it would require a firmware update.  I guess we will wait and see if someone that knows more than us jumps in.

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 07:44:57 AM »
My understanding was that the F16V2R would work with the new boards and would support 48 pixels. Of course it would require a firmware update.  I guess we will wait and see if someone that knows more than us jumps in.

Does anybody know if the F16V2R will support 48 string mode?

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 61
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 10:07:20 AM »
I would like to allow for this cannot promise when though.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »
If I needed 48 channel mode, I would put my v2 up for sale and buy a v3.  I suspect that the v2 is still worth a pretty penny.  Controllers hold their value pretty good although I'm sure you won't get 100% of new, but then you had the v2 to use last year.  Just a thought.  I've sold lots of used controllers starting with my original LOR boxes and others since then as I have changed directions or added new type elements to my shows over the years.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »
Gonna just sell and buy new. Will last years expansion and differential expansion boards work at the end of the F16V3 expansion chain for channels 33-48?  Thanks

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 10:34:16 AM »
Will last years expansion and differential expansion boards work at the end of the F16V3 expansion chain for channels 33-48? 

Everything I've read says yes to this question.  But David is the final authority.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »
Gonna just sell and buy new. Will last years expansion and differential expansion boards work at the end of the F16V3 expansion chain for channels 33-48?  Thanks

They will work as the first in chain 17-33. The new boards will have a jumper to select position in chain. You will select 33-48 to also use one old one at 17-32.

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »

They will work as the first in chain 17-33. The new boards will have a jumper to select position in chain. You will select 33-48 to also use one old one at 17-32.
I thought the new boards were going to have 2 40 pin connections?  So you could chain them together?  Instead is the plan a stackable 40 pin cable to connect them?  Otherwise I'm confused how the old board could then connect to a new board.  Are there design pictures out there of these new boards?   I just want to make sure I buy enough of the new  boards.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 12:58:27 PM »
The new expansion boards will have two connectors. They will also have a jumper pin to select whether the board should use the first latch signal or the second. If you are using a new expansion board with an old the new board needs to use latch signal 2 because the old boards are fixed to use latch signal 1.

So the new board will connect to controller using one of the connectors and the old will connect to new expansion using the other. The new board will have jumper setting to use second latch signal which is for strings 33-48.

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 02:33:51 PM »
The new expansion boards will have two connectors. They will also have a jumper pin to select whether the board should use the first latch signal or the second. If you are using a new expansion board with an old the new board needs to use latch signal 2 because the old boards are fixed to use latch signal 1.

So the new board will connect to controller using one of the connectors and the old will connect to new expansion using the other. The new board will have jumper setting to use second latch signal which is for strings 33-48.
Thanks David. That makes a lot of since. I wasn't even thinking that the boards could be connected physically backwards.  That's great.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 03:15:20 PM »

Thanks David. That makes a lot of since. I wasn't even thinking that the boards could be connected physically backwards.  That's great.

Not sure what you mean backwards. The connectors are keyed on the new expansion boards.

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 06:18:47 PM »

Not sure what you mean backwards. The connectors are keyed on the new expansion boards.
Backwards was probably bad word choice. More out of order F16, latch signal 2, then latch signal 1.  Not signal 1 then signal 2.