Author Topic: F4V2 + Expansion Board + Receiver Board Help!  (Read 303 times)

Offline mobitel1

• Kudos: 0
F4V2 + Expansion Board + Receiver Board Help!
« on: March 09, 2017, 06:40:20 PM »
Hello all,
I have been reading this forum and many other forums for the past three months and have decided to jump on the pixel train. I am totally new to this so I want to apologize in advance for any dumb question I might ask now or in the future. Initially my plan was to start small this year and just do little outline of the house and possibly the garage doors, I figured the F4V2 could handle that with no problem and then add a little more next year. I will be using 12V WS2811 bullet pixels. The wife and the kids noticed all the reading i was doing, the youtube videos of different displays i was watching and now they want more. They want leaping arches, matrix and mega trees. I explained the cost and we agreed on a small house outline and garage doors , maybe two or four leaping arches and a smaller probably 8 foot 180 degree tree. I came back here and noticed the Expansion Board and the Receiver Boards. I figure i can use the F4V2 for the house and the garage doors and possibly windows or something else. My question is, how many of the  Receiver boards do you recommend for the 8 foot tree? Can I just use 1 ? How many boards will I need for the leaping arches? Watching youtube each arch will use 150 leds (a 5M strip cut in half). Any help will greatly be appreciated and once again i apologize for these dumb questions.
Thank You

Offline Jonnyb44

Re: F4V2 + Expansion Board + Receiver Board Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 07:56:49 PM »
Hello all,
I have been reading this forum and many other forums for the past three months and have decided to jump on the pixel train. I am totally new to this so I want to apologize in advance for any dumb question I might ask now or in the future. Initially my plan was to start small this year and just do little outline of the house and possibly the garage doors, I figured the F4V2 could handle that with no problem and then add a little more next year. I will be using 12V WS2811 bullet pixels. The wife and the kids noticed all the reading i was doing, the youtube videos of different displays i was watching and now they want more. They want leaping arches, matrix and mega trees. I explained the cost and we agreed on a small house outline and garage doors , maybe two or four leaping arches and a smaller probably 8 foot 180 degree tree. I came back here and noticed the Expansion Board and the Receiver Boards. I figure i can use the F4V2 for the house and the garage doors and possibly windows or something else. My question is, how many of the  Receiver boards do you recommend for the 8 foot tree? Can I just use 1 ? How many boards will I need for the leaping arches? Watching youtube each arch will use 150 leds (a 5M strip cut in half). Any help will greatly be appreciated and once again i apologize for these dumb questions.
Thank You
There are no dumb questions!!!  But the questions you ask depend on the number of pixels you plan to run. When you add the exp board to the f4 it cuts the outputs to a max of 340 per port. Soooo as long as your under that for each port your plan should work perfectly. I ran 835 nodes off one exp board for my pixel tree. Is worked flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mobitel1

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:51:38 PM »
Thank you for your reply.
I initially thought I would do 16 strips of 50 pixels with 2 inch spacing for my 180 degree tree. Then I saw this beautiful pic

Now I'm thinking I should do 60 pixels but then i was reading the forum today and I noticed some people are using 3 inch spacing. Now I'm really confused. I understand that using 3 inch spacing would make my tree taller (which my kids would love) but I feel that I would also have to add more strips to make it look good. Could anyone please suggest from what they have done or seen what is a good combination? Possibly a 16 string 50 pixel with 2 inch spacing or 18 strings or 12 string or 20 strings? Maybe a 16 string 60 pixel with 3 inch spacing or 20 strings or 18 strings?
Any help will greatly be appreciated .

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 34
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 08:55:26 AM »
IMHO the difference between 2" and 3" is in resolution and cost.  There is another issue to consider and that is brightness, the more nodes the brighter your light output although you can now dim the ouput with many controllers and also xlights.  It is your choice.  I use 3" spacing, but I use very few if any images on my trees so resolution is not that important to me.  (I am also not a fan of video in a "light show").  I have both 18ft and 9ft tall trees using 3" spacing.  Last season I turned the brightness down and I think the display looked much better.  I've thought about 2" spacing, but I did not find that it added much to my display.  That's my opinion, others may differ.   I figured that I would rather use more nodes to add another tree which I did and it worked out well.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline mobitel1

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »
Do you possibly have a video of your trees with 3 inch spacing?

Offline Scottyj

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 05:19:07 AM »
Here's my tree which is 58 pixels high spaced at 3 inches and 32 string 360* tree

https://youtu.be/TG8uKvVJ3oM

Hope this helps

Scott

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 34
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 09:18:51 PM »
Do you possibly have a video of your trees with 3 inch spacing?

Here is a video from 2015.  I've not edited or uploaded any 2016 videos yet.  Wish I could take decent videos and learn how to get them to look good enough to publish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXfAYg54dnM