Author Topic: portable light show with RPi Zero + Wireless  (Read 345 times)

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
portable light show with RPi Zero + Wireless
« on: March 12, 2017, 12:53:12 AM »
Has anyone used the RPi Zero with wireless to share what a realistic distance might be. My goal is to sequence a few tunes for the pipes and drums band that I play in and have controllers and rechargable batteries in each of the drums. I would use a switch to start the sequence and we would have to play in time with the light show. I also need to figure out the router part. Any recommendations on a small router that I could carry on my belt or mount to the drum itself. Distance really only needs to be 20' to 30' max as we usually play in a circle with the bass drum in the middle or in a crescent shape.

Another cool option would be a RGB color organ if anyone is aware of way to do that. Last time I searched, there were options for LEDs, but not RGB. It has been awhile so there might be something out there by now.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Brian
Brian

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 36
Re: portable light show with RPi Zero + Wireless
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 10:36:46 AM »
Since the pi zero wireless is just becoming available I suspect you are premature in your question.  For portable routers get the HooToo Tripmate from Amazon.  Several of us use that with success.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 72
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 01:38:24 PM »
I have a Pi Zero for my lighted shirt (50 pixels) with an EdiMax dongle, connected to a HooToo Tripmate.
Last year at a Relay for Life Event, I had it on a hanger at the far end of the Ag Barn (80+ yards) and could control it from my Android phone without problem. It was line of sight, though.

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:42:50 PM »
I have a Pi Zero for my lighted shirt (50 pixels) with an EdiMax dongle, connected to a HooToo Tripmate.
Last year at a Relay for Life Event, I had it on a hanger at the far end of the Ag Barn (80+ yards) and could control it from my Android phone without problem. It was line of sight, though.

I noticed the trip mate version has a 6000 mAh battery and the trip mate titan has a 10400 mAh. About how much runtime did you get out of your lighted shirt?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 05:35:04 AM »
I powered my Pi with the Tripmate, so it never ran low.

I powered the 50 Ws281x pixels with a 10,000 mah pack. At full bright, about 4 hours. At 50% it was still good after 8 hours. Never ran a true timed test, though.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 05:37:01 AM »
I used two battery packs so I could just unplug the lights but leave the Pi running.