Author Topic: LOR warnings  (Read 314 times)

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 0
LOR warnings
« on: March 15, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »
So, on the Lor forum I responded to somebody who is having trouble with the software suite and their license. Apparently he tried updating the software which then required him to buy an updated license. I suggested he download xlights and give it a try because it won't ask for more money every time they update.  My post was pulled and I was given a warning with points and no explanation to what part of my post they had a problem with. Apparently you can't mention the competitors name on that forum, they would like to close their eyes and pretend that they don't exist.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 65
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: LOR warnings
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:17:42 AM »
Because they bought a license to an older version of Nutcracker (almost 2 years ago, at least), they are protective.

Their Pixel Editor is derivative and maintained by Matt Brown. Matt did the first re-write of Nutcracker into C++ and so I still give him a LOT of credit when I see him at functions.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »
Lets not forget that LOR is a business and is there to make money.  There forum (unlike this open one) is there for them to get new customers, increase sales, and support their users.  The DIY equipment out now is a real threat to that business, especially with how advanced it has become and the sequencing software situation is even worse.  At least with the hardware, they can claim to have a warranty and do have a place to send damaged or defective equipment for repair.  On the software side, all they can offer is support and the guys working on XLights also do a hell of a lot to support their product as well.  It's not exactly competition when one comes at a cost and the other is free of charge and the last thing that they want on their forum are posts guiding customers and potential customers away from what puts the food on their tables. 

Offline David_AVD

• da-Share
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:42:44 PM »
I think it's completely reasonable that your xlights suggestion was removed from the LOR forum.  An email or PM to the guy would have been smarter.
da-share.com - the home of da_E131, da_DMX and other handy stuff

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 06:29:19 PM »
They ended up removing the points and apologizing for not communicating with me before giving me a warning.