Author Topic: SSH page failing  (Read 143 times)

Offline gc2016

• Kudos: 0
SSH page failing
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:13:22 PM »
I ran apt-get update and added openssl. Now I get an error page when I try to go to the ssl page. Any suggestions on fixing?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 139
Re: SSH page failing
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:36:48 PM »
Reinstall the SD image?  Who knows what the other dependency files were installed when you added that package.
-
Chris

Offline gc2016

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:41:27 PM »
I can do that. So basically don't install any packages once you have the base image? Just as a general maintenance thing, should I avoid apt updates too, and just rely on falconpi updates?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 139
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:14:11 PM »
We don't normally patch the OS because FPP is not meant to be used in an unsecure environment, so we don't apply OS package updates except when we build new SD images.   The aim is to have FPP treated like an appliance where most people don't touch the OS unless they are a real power user.  FPP isn't guaranteed to continue working if you are applying your own package updates.  It definitely isn't guaranteed to work if you run a rpi-update on it since the FPP v1.8 SD image is based on Raspbian Wheezy, but we are using a Raspbian Jessie kernel and firmware to support the newer model Pi's.  The next set of SD images we build for FPP v2.0 will be based on Raspbian Jessie.

Offline gc2016

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:09:22 AM »
That makes perfect sense, and certainly helps the stability. Thanks for the quick reply, and I'll open a new thread with the question that started me down this road to begin with.