Author Topic: Newbie: Does this look right before I order?  (Read 377 times)

Offline splaxx

• Kudos: 0
Newbie: Does this look right before I order?
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:38:10 PM »
Hello all,

Somehow I found my way to this board.  A late night on youtube I came across this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-V7Iqr44WY) and decided that I want to RGB my house this year.  This is how I am planning my build 100% based on that video. I am hoping you all can course correct before I go too far down the wrong path.  :)

Here is a list of equipment I am planning on buying:

• 12mm WS2811 Lights (12') [Link]
  • 48x96 Corrugated Plastic Sheet [Link]
  • Light Tube Protector (8') [Link]
  • Tube Caps (50) [Link]
  • F16V3 Pixel Controller
  • RaspberryPi
  • Old computer Power Supply
  • CG-1500 Enclosure for Garage
My intention is to build tubes of specific lengths that I can hang each year on my house.  The build process will to be cut pipes to specific lengths (see photo below) cut strips of the corrugated plastic to fit inside the tubes, mount the RGB lights to the corrugated plastic, and then seal each end with the caps (wires extending through caps)

Then mount the CG-1500 in the garage, F16V3 + RaspPi + Power supply mounted in that case, wire back to it.

Questions:
  • Any other suggestions for mounting lights to house other than building the tubes?
  • Any better RGB LEDs to buy than the AliExpress that I linked above?  I am looking at the 5V Square
  • I have a question about number of channels/number of pixels.  If the F16v3 says that it supports 1024 on 16 channels, does that mean that it supports 1024x16=16384 pixels?  Does the PiCap support 800x2=1600 pixels?  If I am doing my math right, I will need 13 strands (of 50), which is 650 pixels, which means I really only need to run one channel... Correct?
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Online AAH

• Kudos: 11
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Newbie: Does this look right before I order?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 12:24:10 AM »
Pigtails make it a lot easier for connecting to F16 and for interconnecting stuff so you should grab some of the. 350W brick style power supplies from Raw Wu or similar on Aliexpress are a better option than a pc one imho. Pc supplies aren't really designed for the type of load xmas lights put on them.
The picap can do 800x2.
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue of my blinky bits
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/

Offline lwillisjr

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 03:29:42 PM »
Just be aware when you buy from Ray's site that you watch the input voltage. I love his site but I inadvertently purchased a power supply I couldn't use and it wasn't worth the return shipping costs to send it back.

Online AAH

• Kudos: 11
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 04:20:30 PM »
Most of the brick power supplies will have a switch on the side of them to change between 240V an 110V.

Just be aware when you buy from Ray's site that you watch the input voltage. I love his site but I inadvertently purchased a power supply I couldn't use and it wasn't worth the return shipping costs to send it back.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 54
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 04:58:42 PM »
Call me to go over your setup. Number at bottom of PixelController.com

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline rstehle

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 05:59:40 PM »
Pigtails make it a lot easier for connecting to F16 and for interconnecting stuff so you should grab some of the. 350W brick style power supplies from Raw Wu or similar on Aliexpress are a better option than a pc one imho. Pc supplies aren't really designed for the type of load xmas lights put on them.
The picap can do 800x2.

You can find the best prices on Power Supplies on Amazon if you are a Prime member.

Offline splaxx

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 06:29:31 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I have been doing my homework, reading reading reading.  At this point, I have changed controllers to the PiCap (already ordered) as I now understand that I can run my whole house outline off of it.  As my needs change I will upgrade controllers (looking at you F16!  :D )

Quick question:  After I have done all my measurements, it looks like I will have less than 800 pixels on my house.  Previous years when I ran my traditional lights, I have stringed them all together in one continuous line. After reading, I have come to realize that although the PiCap can easily support the entire strand, I should probably use both channels for the following reasons:
  • Power
  • If I lose a pixel, the entire channel might go down.
I am thinking of wiring my house as such:

Anyone see anything that I am doing incorrectly, or should consider?  I am using 5v lights.