Author Topic: Falcon pi player not finding wifi IP anymore after using a Hanson's pihat  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Dutchsanta

• Kudos: 0
Ok...This is going to be a little story.

Bought a Raspberry pi3 November 2016..
Everything worked great, Ethernet AND Wireless
Then I bought a picap from Hanson because I could not get the Falcon picap in time in Europe and the picap was just enough for my first year.
From that day on I could not get WIFI to work again but, with Christmas around the corner I had no time anymore so I run it with Ethernet cable.

April 2017.
I have a F16v2 this year.(what a great stuff!!)
I have bin trying to get the Pi3 back online wireless but no such luck.
Ethernet is no problem but as soon as I pull out the ethernet cable and reboot the Pi3 ...It only shows the static ethernet IP but no Wlan IP
And because I do not have the ethernet cable I can not get to the ip adres..I understand that part!
After 3 full evenings I have had enough of it and I ordered a new Pi3.
The older Pi3 will be used as a slave with ethernet then.

next day I got a brand new Pi3 with a brand new sony 8gb sd card.
Formatted the sd, put FPP 1.8 on it and flashed the Pi3 with FPP with Ethernet connected.
Upgraded to 1.9 and set the network details again....everything worked like a charm!!.
Ethernet AND wireless.

End of the evening I shut down the pi3, unplugged the power after the green light stopped blinking.

With the pi3 off I put on the RPI-28D from Hanson so I have a real time clock on that masterpi.
Did not powered up the pi anymore because it was getting middle of the night on Monday evening.

Today I started the new pi3 NO ethernet cable because everything worked fine yesterday.
Could not get into the GUI using the WIFI ip adres so rebooted with ethernet cable.
No network set up to be found!! The whole network tab was completely empty.

I filled in al the same settings as last night...Ethernet worked perfect....but again...NO WLAN!!!.
As soon as I pulled out the ethernet cable and rebooted the Pi3 ..it only shows the static ethernet ip.
I have tried about 30 times, I have tried EVERYTHING I could think of...I hade a friend over who knows a bit more about networking then me.
NOTHING!!!.

I flashed the pi for the 23th time and the last time with NOOBS just to check of wlan works with other software.
but I can not get it to install with NOOBS...it keeps giving me a error saying fat23 is not the same bla bla bla.
After the 4th run I stopped trying and reflashed back to FPP 1.8- upgrading to 1.9 using Ethernet cable.

I really do not know what to do anymore so that why I am posting this topic.
If anybody can help me or take a look at some log files, just tell me how to get the logfiles you need and I will be happy to send them.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 37
You can not have both wifi and eth0 on the same network.  The Pi will always default to the eth0 interface.  Try setting eth0 to dhcp and set your wifi to the static IP.  Save everything, shutdown, remove the eth0 and power back up.  There are probably hundreds of posts on this board and many others stating that you cannot have both network interfaces on the same network. i.e., the 3rd number cannot be the same.

To access the F16v2 from the Pi just create a new network such as 192.168.3.xx and give the Pi eth0 and the F16v2 addresses on that network.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline Dutchsanta

Hi , thank you for your reply.

I know you can not have both on the same network (the 3th number in the IP adres).
problem is....our provider does not allow us to change the 3th number in our home router.. ( KPN is our Dutch provider)
192.168.2.xxxx thats it...no more options.

So because of that I know I can not have both Ethernet AND wifi together at the same time on the same pi.
Thats why I want the masterpi to connect to WIFI only and the other pi and Falcon are going to be hardwired..
So you get.

Router-wifi to -Masterpi-wired to -second router-wired to-f16v2 and slavepi

The trick you gave me to set ETH0 to dhcp and WIFI to static did not work, I have tried that multiple times the last couple of days.
After I powerd up the pi it says: NO IP's FOUND.

The same when I set ETH0 to static and WIFI to dhcp...
As soon as I unplug the ETH0 cable the software does not find any wifi IP.

David asked me to call him but because it is around midnight over here I will skype with him later this week. but any reply is more then welcome!!!>

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 14
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
1 of the network and/or FPP gurus may correct me but changing the netmask from the typical 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 may help solve the problem. This allows differing "3rd numbers" to be accessible.
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue of my blinky bits
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/

Offline vtpolak

• Kudos: -1
I had a similar issue, I couldn't get the wireless working after having the picap on... even when I tried a different os

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 30
With the ethernet connected to the Pi and both ETH0 and WLAN0 configured for DHCP, please post the output of the Troubleshooting Commands from the FPP Help Menu. I would want to see the output of the ifconfig and iwconfig sections.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
1 of the network and/or FPP gurus may correct me but changing the netmask from the typical 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 may help solve the problem. This allows differing "3rd numbers" to be accessible.

Changing the subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 does not solve the underlying network issues. It may logically merge the network on that device but its does not bridge the network interfaces and will only confuse the routing tables even further.

Offline Dutchsanta

@ Threesizes
Ok...ETH0 and WLAN0 back to dhcp.
Reboot
Troubleshooting commands
And here are the results of the Dutch jury:
See doc file below

Did not know how to put such a long piece of text over here so I dropped it into Words file.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
Thanks.

Can you run the following command using the SSH Shell on the FPP Help Menu and report the results? The login is fpp and the password is falcon.

Code: [Select]
sudo iwlist wlan0 scanning

Offline Dutchsanta

Ok just did
 see attachements.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
From the SSH Shell, run:

Code: [Select]
dmesg | grep brcmfmac
That is a pipe | character. after the word dmesg

Offline Dutchsanta

Ok

Thanks for your help!!!

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
The WiFi was detected due to the presence of the WLAN0 interface and the brmcfmac log entries. However, when you tried to run the iwlist scanning command, it was unavailable. The Pi3's WiFi is connected via SDIO. I'm wondering if the PiCap and the WiFi adapter are not playing nice on the SDIO bus. And it not necessarily the hardware for the PiCap but it could also be the software side. I don't have a PiCap and I do not know what GPIO's its using to do its magic. I'm also wondering if the power supply you are using is not sufficient for the setup, what is your power supply rated at?

Offline Dutchsanta

Just to be clear...I do NOT have the picap on the pi3 at the moment!!!!...
I used the pi3 brand new, everything worked fine, I attached the Hanson RPI-28D picap and WIFI stopt working, I removed the picap and ....not getting back the wifi options.
This happend to BOTH the Pi3's!!!!
Her is a link to the Hanson picap I bought November 2016
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/rpi-28d/    ( please remove the link if it is not ok to put it on a Falcon website!!)

So...Aldo I am a real stupid guy if it comes to networking etc, I see a patern in here.

I used the powersupply that came with the PI...It is a 5.1 volt- 2.5 A adapter.
Because I did see a little square box when flashing FPP on to the PI I also used the powersupply from my pixels.
Thats a 5.3 volt-300 A power supply..
So Power can not be the problem I think.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
Falcon pi player not finding wifi IP anymore after using a Hanson's pihat
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »
Just to be clear...I do NOT have the picap on the pi3 at the moment!!!!...
I used the pi3 brand new, everything worked fine, I attached the Hanson RPI-28D picap and WIFI stopt working, I removed the picap and ....not getting back the wifi options.
This happend to BOTH the Pi3's!!!!
Her is a link to the Hanson picap I bought November 2016
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/rpi-28d/    ( please remove the link if it is not ok to put it on a Falcon website!!)

So...Aldo I am a real stupid guy if it comes to networking etc, I see a patern in here.

I used the powersupply that came with the PI...It is a 5.1 volt- 2.5 A adapter.
Because I did see a little square box when flashing FPP on to the PI I also used the powersupply from my pixels.
Thats a 5.3 volt-300 A power supply..
So Power can not be the problem I think.

When you plugged the PiCap did you enable it in the software? 

The power supply sounds fine. I've seen in the past where the Pi would put devices into low power or disable them if there is not enough current.

Can you send me the following commands from the SSH Shell? You can send them via private message since they will have your WiFi password but I really need to see the full output.

cat /home/fpp/media/config/interface.wlan0
cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

That last command might be wrong I'm trying to write this away from the house right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro