Author Topic: Falcon pi player not finding wifi IP anymore after using a Hanson's pihat  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Dutchsanta

• Kudos: 0
I did NOT enable it on the NEW Pi3.
I was using the pi3 with WIFI...shut it down, waited for the lights to go steady. disconnected power. plugged in the picap on the GPIO pins, connected power again, starting op pi...and from there no WIFI anymore....I did not even give me a change to enable it (using wifi connection)

I have send you a PM with the last request. ( that is...in 3 minutes from posting this).

I do not need the pi right now, so if you want to take a look at it when you have more time and at home...no problem!!!
Just remember I am in Europe so there is a time difference between usa and here of 6 till 8 hours...So maybe I can not reply directly to your info.

Offline Dutchsanta

well...since my dropbox is full, and I can not send pm with files in it I just red-out my wifi password in the file.

As I sayed...I am in Europe and there not many guys from my country on this website soooo.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 30
Can you re-read the last command for me, but add sudo to the front:

Code: [Select]
sudo cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Also confirm the the contents of this file, specifically the psk="XXXXX" matches EXACTLY character for character your WiFi password between the two quotes.

Then also send the output of:

grep wpa_supplicant /var/log/syslog
This one will spit out a bunch of stuff, sending me just the tail of it is fine for now.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline Dutchsanta

I just turned everything off for today, It's bed time over here.
I will send you the info right after work tomorrow. That would be around 7 am your time...

Sorry about that!! I do appreciate eveything you do !!

Offline Dutchsanta

Ok..I am back...starting a new day of getting crazy.

The PSK is EXACTLY like my wifi password...!!! Not problems there.

The other code you give me did not do anything!! It did not spit out 1 reaction
See attachment

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
Very interesting... I'm going to geuss it didn't even try to start adapter.

From the SSH Shell, can you:

sudo ifdown wlan0
sudo ifup wlan0
sudo ifconfig
sudo iwconfig
sudo grep wpa_supplicant /var/log/syslog

And send me the results? This will try to manually start the WiFi adapter and connect to the home network.

And

Offline cjtaylor

one other file to check
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.FPP

check the ssid and psk to make sure they are correctly spelled and proper case.

Offline Dutchsanta

Hahaha Nice to see your think it interesting..I think it is strange and not funny anymore.

But I am happy that you trying to help me!!>

Wlan down
Wlan up
those are things I have seen when I start the pi with a screen attached to it...

@cjtaylore: Threesizes already gave me that one...And I did check it before I posted the topic...But thanks.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:21:12 AM by Dutchsanta »

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 37
Threesizes and I went around and around on one similar to this, but in my case it was the SSID that was not correct.  I had a case problem in the SSID.  I did not think SSIDs were case sensitive but they definitely are.  My SSID was a phrase that is sometimes spelled in all caps, and sometimes not, so it always looked fine to me, but......  Just thought I would mention it.  It was a frustrating lesson to learn.  Best wishes on finding the issue here.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline Dutchsanta

Thank you for you reply.

That is one of the first things I have checked, double checked and let somebody else check for me.

Would not be the first time something like that would happen so three double check...

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
Its not trying to bring up the interface. I will need to play around with my system at home tonight to figure out the next step for you. There are a couple of things that look weird in your output that I want to try to confirm at home. Just wanted to let you know since its getting late your time.

Offline Dutchsanta

wow!!! That's SO NICE of you that you would take all that time to figure out what the ..peeeep... is going on with my 2 pi's....

THANK YOU!!!

I still blame the Picaps from Hanson for the problems..I am thinking about buying a thirt pi3 and play with it but NEVER put the picap on it..just to see if that keeps working...

I can try to flash the older Pi tomorrow into Noobs, Raspbarian or some other software and see if it will work with wifi.

Indeed it is getting late over here so I will be going to bed in a hour....

Just take your time...I do not need the pi's right now for building my models and sequencing...

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
Try the same commands from my last request and add the following:

sudo tail -n50 /var/log/syslog
Depending on how big your screen is this might scroll the window and require you to scroll back up to capture all the output.

I'm really thinking that something is damaging the WiFi chip on the Pi. Are you powering the Pi via the MicroUSB connector or are you powering it via the GPIO headers? How is the Pi powered when the PiCap was connected? I'm basing this on what you stated earlier, the new Pi3 was working on the WiFi, you shut it down, connected the PiCap, powered it on, and WiFi has not worked since. The only change being the connection of the PiCap to the Pi3. Similar circumstances also affected your first Pi3 as well. You also stated that you are currently powering the Pi3 from your 5v pixel power supply instead off the original power supply which came with the Pi since it was not putting out enough power. If the Pi is being powered via the GPIO headers, there is not any power protection like on the MicroUSB connector so if something bad happened with power the Pi3 would not be protected.

Offline Dutchsanta

Ok... :D are you sure about this one?? You sayed "depending on my window"??
Well..I have bin to usa about 12 times now and NEVER have I seen a pc screen in the usa that can hold op 125 pages in 1 window!!! :o
Hahahaha. The output looks all the same to me but hey...Don't shoot the noob.hahaha.

Attached you will find the word doc with all 125 pages. I used the " I more "option to get it all...

What could have damaged the wifi chip? The only thing I did was putting the rpi28d (picap) on it?
I will ask AHH ( Hanson electronics) if he would like to read this topic, maybe he can tell me why 2 of my pi's wifi stopt working as soon as I used his picap.

About the power....I still use the microusb connector!!!!...even with the bigger power supply.....
I did not want to take a change of powering with gpio because of no protection, so I just cut off the wall adapter and wired the microusb connector to the 5v 300 amp power supply.
The picap has a 5 and 12 volt power input that powers the cap itself and the pi.
Here is a link to the picap itself.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/rpi-28d/

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:14:50 AM by Dutchsanta »

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
Are you 1000% sure your SSID is configured correctly? Like jnealand posted, the SSID must match exactly and is case-sensitive. In the logs you just posted its referencing trying to connect to SSID "H369A9BC8FC" but in the configuration file you posted earlier it is entered as "h369a9bc8fc". That would make a world of difference. Try setting your SSID to the all capitals version and see what happens.

As for the power issue, I do not see anything wrong with what you stated you have or are doing, just running through all the possibilities. I did help somebody once and the issue did end up being a bad chip on the Pi. But right now, its looking more like a configuration issue.