Author Topic: RasPi vs. BBB  (Read 353 times)

Offline Griz

• Kudos: 3
RasPi vs. BBB
« on: April 17, 2017, 08:22:14 PM »
Hello all,

In an effort to explore some of the pros/cons of the RasPi vs. BBB, I ventured out and purchased a BBB (pretty familiar with RasPi capabilities).

A few things that I have noticed and I'd appreciate some feedback/insight on:

1.  Boot-up time for the BBB is SIGNIFICANTLY longer... about 3-5 minutes to fully boot.  Is this normal?

2. Even if you run the BBB from the emmc, the thumb drive takes the only other USB slot.  How do you all output audio?  I'd like to use USB adapter like the RasPi so I can play audio direct to a speaker OR an FM transmitter.  It appears one popular option is the VAST FMT transmitter... what about plugging direct to a speaker?

3.  I have noticed on three separate (yet consecutive) occurrences that the BBB appears to power off after "inactivity".  I'm not sure if it's inactivity, but it's definitely shutting down on its own without a loss of power. 

4.  All around, the BBB seems to be better for P10s and projectors than for the Master driver for a show. 

I would appreciate anyone else's insights on this topic. 

Thanks!

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 0
Re: RasPi vs. BBB
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 04:29:22 AM »
Have you seen this comparison chart

https://xlights.org/fpp-comparison/

The slow boot for the BBB is likely the single core 32 bit processor.  Pi 3 has a 64 bit, quad core

Also: soon to be a new and improved Octoscroller:  http://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?7594-New-BBB-Matrix-(a-k-a-Octoscriller&p=85034&viewfull=1#post85034
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:45:38 AM by Sawdust »

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 14
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 07:33:45 AM »
  For audio from the BBB I think that there's 2 choices. Firstly you can use the HDMI audio which is disabled when using P10 panels or alternately you can use a usb hub and plug in a usb audio adaptor.
  I haven't paid too much attention to BBB boot up time but I thought it was more like a minute than 3. I'll pay more attention next time I boot up.
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue of my blinky bits
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »
Unless you are planning for more than 36 P10 panels, I would not even be considering a BBB.  The Pi3 seems to be better when using the Ron P matrix adapter board.  I am even driving a P5 display using a Pi3 and the matrix board.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 13
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 07:16:02 PM »

I run EVERYTHING off the SD card.   The OS and sequences and everything is on the SD card.   That keeps the USB port free for other uses.   Most of my BBBs use an edimax Wifi thing in there.   The "master" uses the VAST transmitter (but through a powered USB hub). 

Dan Kulp

Offline Griz

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 11:22:30 AM »
Dan - that's a great suggestion putting everything on the SD card which would free up the thumb drive. 

Overall I'm weighing the pros and cons of using a RasPi as the FPP master vs. a BBB.  I'm continuing to have multiple issues with power loss corrupting SD cards, so I thought a brief venture into the BBB was worth the investment.  I have tried converting my SD cards to read only, as per the new script, and about 10 or so power losses in the card is corrupted.  I have turned off all logging and it's still giving me corruption issues.  Again, not all at once, but the failure rate is still there. 

Thanks for the advice.  I'd be curious to know if anyone uses a BBB as a FPP master. 

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 142
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 11:36:25 AM »
The boot time on the BB* is much faster when using eMMC instead of SD for boot.  All of my BB*'s use eMMC for the OS.  I use USB for storage only because it is easier to move the storage around when testing things, but if you need USB audio you can use the SD for storage.

I ran a BBB master the past 2  years due to the issue with the FMT-212R USB FM transmitter on the newer kernel on the Pi.  I would prefer to run a more powerful Pi 3 for my master though and will be working towards that goal this year.

Unless you are planning for more than 36 P10 panels, I would not even be considering a BBB.  The Pi3 seems to be better when using the Ron P matrix adapter board.  I am even driving a P5 display using a Pi3 and the matrix board.

I agree, I would drive people towards the Pi solution as well.  I'm also working on taking that a step further and using the commercial LED reciever boards by Linsn and ColorLight to drive the panels which will allow a higher refresh rate and more panel options.

Overall I'm weighing the pros and cons of using a RasPi as the FPP master vs. a BBB.  I'm continuing to have multiple issues with power loss corrupting SD cards, so I thought a brief venture into the BBB was worth the investment.  I have tried converting my SD cards to read only, as per the new script, and about 10 or so power losses in the card is corrupted.  I have turned off all logging and it's still giving me corruption issues.  Again, not all at once, but the failure rate is still there. 

This sounds more like power issues or just bad SD cards.  I believe we had people running the read-only script with systems that were powered off daily without issue and I know we had people that pulled the plug dozens of time when testing the read-only script.
-
Chris

Offline Griz

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 11:42:30 AM »
Thanks Capt - I've searched the forums and can't find a consensus on recommended SD cards or thumb drives... do you know of a thread for this?

I've had greater success with the readonly script, but after about dozen power losses I'm still getting the corrupt issue or a loss of WiFi web access.  I also don't want to lean too heavy on the readonly script because I will need to use one of David's new PiCaps for one setup, and a different will need a RTC - different shows.  I know these issues have been discussed - just a concern of mine. 

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for all the work you've done for us.  Your work and efforts are appreciated by many - thank you. You're an enabler of expensive hobbies!

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 142
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »
I'm just using SanDisk and Kingston microSD cards and SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB sticks and I have only had one of the microSD cards die on me over the past 3 years.  I don't know of any specific threads, but a lot of users also recommend USB3 sticks since they are normally engineered to a higher performance level.