Author Topic: A tour of Ray Wu's factory  (Read 1657 times)

Offline thetraveller333@yahoo.com

• Kudos: 2
  • If it was easy, everybody would do it.
A tour of Ray Wu's factory
« on: April 21, 2017, 02:50:36 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am currently traveling in China on business.  One of my stops was in Shenzhen, the home of Ray Wu.

I sent Ray an email and asked if I could stop by to meet him and to see his manufacturing plant.

Ray was very gracious and agreed immediately.

I was there for just over an hour while he showed me his operation.  See attached pictures that I took during the tour.

At one point he showed me a small matrix that he manufactures.  I had not seen this before and have not heard it mentioned on the forums so I asked him if I could mention it here.

It is made up of 5 VDC, WS2012 strips, 60 LED/m, soldered to a top and bottom carrier.  The way the carrier is designed, it spaces the strips at the same distance as the distance between the LED's, creating a very accurate matrix.  The strips have adhesive on the back so you can attach them to a more sturdy surface.  Using this method, you can make a matrix of just about any size, or you can join smaller matrices to make a larger one.

Ray was also very generous.  He gave me enough free samples so I can create a matrix of my own as well as a finished matrix which I can use as a guide.

Ray was happy to tell me anything I wanted to know and I enjoyed seeing how the products are made.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"  Mark Twain

Offline Emuney18

Re: A tour of Ray Wu's factory
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 06:14:42 AM »
Very cool. I bet you were a kid in a candy store.  Question about the matrix.  Does Ray have any plan for waterproofing those strips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DavidJ247

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:35:13 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing this, it's great to get a glimpse behind the scenes. Interesting to see the testing jig/rack in the quality control pic, looks like it could feed power and data to dozens of strings at once.
I have an order in with Ray this week for a few thousand square pixels with 18awg black wire, funny to think those could be my new lights in the automatic soldering pic.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »
Based on the pictures, those look like the newer WS2813 strips (i.e. the ones with a Backup data signal).

It does look like an economical way of building grids of assorted sizes.  Did he give you any idea on pricing?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:54:43 PM by pixelpuppy »
Vixen and xLights for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline Akareaper

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »
Was just talking to a friend about this last night. Its been awhile since I was last in China, 10 years actually, but looks to be the same. A lot of people imagine big, automated factories and such, and not smaller job shops like this. It puts things in more perspective I believe.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline nutz4lights

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 06:05:56 PM »
I have been dealing very heavily with Ray for around 4 years now.  For how much I talk about him to coworkers or anybody willing to listen, they always ask me if he is a real person and I said I think so... he has sent me pictures of his factory before when I have sent him pictures of what I/we do... but never with as much detail as the pictures that you posted above!  So there is a real Ray Wu, huh?!  Was that him in the picture holding the net light?  You should have taken a selfie with Ray!

-Louie (I swear I'm not a Ray Wu groupie)

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 14
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 11:31:04 PM »
I have a few photos around somewhere of Ray together with Felix and Scott from Scottled at a basketball game they were at together. Scottled is pretty close to Ray's if you're in the vicinity. Felix has uploaded a few videos of how things get made when I've asked him about various processes. A couple of them are below and I was amazed at the processes as they were nothing like I expected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulemwR28QMU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3ODCiivjyY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRoUjo9EcKQ
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue of my blinky bits
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/

Offline thetraveller333@yahoo.com

• If it was easy, everybody would do it.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 03:01:00 AM »
Emuney18, I was exactly like a kid in a candy store.  I wish I had at least a day.  Next time I go, I'm going to bring an empty suitcase.

DavidJ247, I think Ray did say that he was working on your order. . .

PixelPuppy, you are correct.  I went back to check my notes and they are the WS2013's.  Sorry for the mix-up.  Ray did mention some pricing, but it was off the top of his head.  It is certainly worth getting an official quote from Ray.  I remember thinking that it was definitely less expensive than building one by mounting strips or pixels on PVC pipe or something similar.  It's also less work and you end up with a better, more consistent matrix.  I will try to build one from the samples he gave me.

Nutz4lights, . . . "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus . . . " . . . I mean, yes there is a real Ray and yes that is him holding the net lights.  Next time I'll do the selfie.

AAH, thanks for the videos.  Ray's automatic soldering is very similar to the one in the video, but many of the other operations, like dispensing the epoxy, are still manual.

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 07:07:41 AM »
Does anyone know what type of epoxy/ resin is being used for filling the pixels?  I'm going to be testing my own pixel design this summer, and wish to weather/waterproof it. That video made me think if this question.  Thanks for posting the pics and videos.  I always thought Ray was more of a middleman, not actually in the factory like this.  Guess this is why feedback to him can immediately impact product quality. Nice to see this.

Offline Keebler

• Keebler Christmas
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 03:31:44 AM »
I spoke to Ray today and he said that he can make any size you want, its $0.10/per pixel, plus shipping, etc
i am waiting for an official quote for one 30x60.

the bad part is these are 5v requiring lots of power injection (but they are on rails so that will help), these are NOT waterproof (i asked about that as well)

update: they can only be made with 5v pixels (asked about 12V),

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 06:00:38 AM »
I spoke to Ray today and he said that he can make any size you want, its $0.10/per pixel, plus shipping, etc
i am waiting for an official quote for one 30x60.

I was wondering about the sizes.  The ones in the pictures are 15x18 which seems like an odd size to me  ???

Curious to see what he quotes you for 30x60.  At $0.10 per pixel that would be $180, but if you did it with P10 panels (32x64) it would only be about $60.

Offline Keebler

• Keebler Christmas
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 07:14:53 AM »
I again spoke with Ray Wu.
his reply was
"
the price for 15 pixels by 30 pixels is 45 usd it is not rigid, it is soft,can not make it waterproof
"

making the 30x60 roughly 90 usd ouch!

so this is NOT the way to go (in my opinion) -
so where is the cheapest place to get p10 panels?

Offline rlemery

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »
There are several places to get p10 panels from at good pricing. All depends on how soon you need them. Diyledexpress.com , crochetfanitsyoflights, and from Ray.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

728 lor channels
5492 pixels