Author Topic: Multi Point FPP with Ubiquiti - Comments Needed  (Read 580 times)

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 7
Multi Point FPP with Ubiquiti - Comments Needed
« on: April 23, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »
I have been using the Falcon Player (FPP) for quite a few years now (as in since it was released to the masses).  Up until now, I have NOT used it in Master/Remote for the display.  I have played with it, in a non-critical location, but have not tried anything fancy - leaving that to all that have given their time to do it and tell the rest of us about it.  Some good reading, for sure.

This year I have several locations around the display that will definitely be synced to the music.  In fact, I want to remove the master FPP from "Blinky" (the location where most of the "show" happens - marked #2 on the attached image) and move it to the center of the park (location #1). 

The radio transmitter, the radio antenna, and a group of pixel trees will be at this central location(#1).  There will also be a 30 foot tall mega tree, 6 ea. 6 foot tall mega trees, and group of 3' tall, 2 color, DMX controlled trees (about 24 at this time in the planning stage).

"Blinky" (#2) will have its own FPP, but will take its sync cue from the master.
Blinky has two "houses", 4 singing Sally Trees, 4 mega-trees (12 and 14 feet tall), 8 firesticks (10' tall), a lit border with "north poles".  And quite a bit more.  (For some, this would be their show in their front yard.)

"The Hut" (#3), our entrance office, will receive it's sync and run the items at the front gate.

On a tree limb, location (#4), will have 4 of the 30" hanging Boscoyo Chromabulbs. 

A grouping of small trees (3') and 1 16 foot tall flat tree will be at (#5).

Finally, at location (#6), I will have at least 8 of the Boscoyo Chromabulbs, forming a "choir".  There will be other items at this location as well.

All locations will have a Ubiquiti nanostation M5, connected to a NetGear 4 port (minimum) switch and a Falcon Player.  Depending on need, each location will use a variety of controllers (usually Falcon F series.  [F4V2, F16V3, Expansion Boards, Differential Boards with associated remotes] as well some SanDevices E682s.)

Two things are troubling me.
1. I am having trouble getting my thoughts around the Ubiquity nanostation M5s.  Looking at the dispersion patterns in their documentation, it looks like they are quite "narrow".

Has anyone used the nanostation M5s with multiple receiver points?  For the distances covered, It looks like I am going to use them in the AirOS mode (not for WiFi).

2.  In the Master/Remote scenario that the FPP provides, are the sync pulses sent out to each individual remote or is one pulse sent out for all the remotes to listen to?  The AirOS system uses TDMA time slicing for communications to each of the receivers.  I'm worried that the sync pulse from the master FPP won't make it to all the remotes through the AirOS system. 

Has anyone had any experience with this setup and could you tell me what I can look forward to in using this?

Thank you for taking the time to read through all of this.  It is crunch time for us.  We must get everything bought, tested, and tested again before the end of May.  Any comments, concerns, and experiences (especially experiences) would be most appreciated.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
Re: Multi Point FPP with Ubiquiti - Comments Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 01:05:09 PM »
One additional request for knowledge.

As stated, the Ubiquiti nanostation M5 seems to have a narrow beam.  Can it be used at the central area (#1) as shown in the image, or do I need to use something else?

If needed, the whole control center can be moved back to the area of the main part of the show ("Blinky").  It would have a slimmer (but not by much) image pattern.  Almost all distances will be lengthened, but the Ubiqiti units should cover this distance easily.

Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.

Al

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »
Have you looked at the PicoStation M2.

The PicoStatio M provides 360 coverage at a range of up to 500 m suitable for a medium-range deployment.

The robust, weatherproof case withstands harsh outdoor conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HXT8L4S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has 1000mW of output power.

Offline Blickensderfer

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 04:50:09 PM »
You could replace location 1 with an Ubiquiti 5G omni.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ubiquiti-AMO-5G10-5Ghz-AirMax-Dual-Omni-10dBi-/122196928826?hash=item1c7381293a:g:~KIAAOSwx2dYDm~B

That should solve your issue with the narrow beam width.

Dan Blickensderfer

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 06:51:20 PM »
Have you looked at the PicoStation M2.  The PicoStatio M provides 360 coverage at a range of up to 500 m – suitable for a medium-range deployment. The robust, weatherproof case withstands harsh outdoor conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HXT8L4S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has 1000mW of output power.

I actually have 3 of them on the shelf as I type this. Forgot all about picking them up about 14 months ago.  (Old age is .... something.)  Now I have 3 picostation M2hps and 3 nanostation M5s.  If it would be better to have all of one, or the other, I'll try to find more.

Note that the reason for going with the nanostation M5s was the fact that the Picostations are no longer on Ubiquiti's site.  At least none that I could find.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 06:52:34 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ubiquiti-AMO-5G10-5Ghz-AirMax-Dual-Omni-10dBi-/122196928826?hash=item1c7381293a:g:~KIAAOSwx2dYDm~B

Very good information.  I'll look into putting this in the center.  Thanks.

Offline Griz

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 09:48:46 PM »

Very good information.  I'll look into putting this in the center.  Thanks.

I'm not sure that would work.  The Rasp Pi only uses 802.11n - which is 2.4GHz WiFi.  You'd need to add an adapter to all of your Pi's to be on 5.8GHz, wouldn't you?

*Edit: I guess if each station has an M5 you should be good to go.  Missed that part in your original post.  Didn't want anyone else reading this thinking they could throw down a Ubiquiti 5G omni antenna and be good to go.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:55:32 PM by Griz »

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 10:59:50 PM »

I'm not sure that would work.  The Rasp Pi only uses 802.11n - which is 2.4GHz WiFi.  You'd need to add an adapter to all of your Pi's to be on 5.8GHz, wouldn't you?

*Edit: I guess if each station has an M5 you should be good to go.  Missed that part in your original post.  Didn't want anyone else reading this thinking they could throw down a Ubiquiti 5G omni antenna and be good to go.

Thanks for the information.  Each station will indeed have an M5 attached to it and connected to the Falcons via Ethernet.  They will be pointing at the "central control" (#1) that will be using this 5G Omni.  Good suggestion.

Since I seem to have a couple spare, I will also put a  PicoStation M2HP unit at the central hub (#1) and the main show (#2) in the wifi mode.  This will be so that I can do wireless checks from my nice, warm, Durango!  The front gate hut (#3) will allow me to be wired directly into the M5 network.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 11:29:14 PM »
The best Horshack that I can do:   'oooooh', 'oooooh', 'ooooh'

The new version 6 firmware has something called "mixed mode".  This may be the savior in many ways, including my wallet.   

More as I learn more!!!