Author Topic: how would i accomplish this ? re: power  (Read 390 times)

Offline Northernwarrior

• Kudos: 0
how would i accomplish this ? re: power
« on: May 09, 2017, 06:24:04 PM »
12v 350w power supply
picap
8x 50 string bullet nodes   - output 1
6 or 7 led 10/30 strips       - output 2

If I add this all up it would be over 400w.

not sure what to do  because when i am connecting the strips & nodes by the J connector in 2 long runs I will be over the psu without even thinking about power injection

am i able to add a 2nd power supply beside the first one and tie them together and then goto the picap and also use for injection ?

Does this make sense ?

Online StickyWicket

• Kudos: 3
Re: how would i accomplish this ? re: power
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 06:37:51 PM »
Reduce the brightness you can go lower and reduce your wattage required with almost no noticeable difference.

Offline Northernwarrior

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 07:12:21 PM »
from any of my testing ( limited thus far ) 30%-40% is plenty bright.   If I don't go over 50% do you think this power supply will be ok ?    I will be injecting multiple times using the same supply.   will that cause issues ?

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 05:43:58 AM »
from any of my testing ( limited thus far ) 30%-40% is plenty bright.   If I don't go over 50% do you think this power supply will be ok ?    I will be injecting multiple times using the same supply.   will that cause issues ?
The wattage scales with the brightness. So you will be fine on the watts 400 would only be 200 at 50%.  You can inject as many times as needed but beware of long wires injecting between power supply and injection point.  Long runs require big wires to limit voltage drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 72
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 07:07:07 AM »
You can inject as many times as needed but beware of long wires injecting between power supply and injection point.  Long runs require big wires to limit voltage drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do more injection points, you can go with smaller wires because there will be less amperage per injection point. The power loss is based on I2R (amperage squared x resistance of the wire).  Never hurts to actually measure the voltage at the injection points when at full or near full power.

If you compare the injection point voltages from 100% power (all white), at 50% power and at 0%, they should be close to the same for all three. Any difference you see between them is the "voltage loss" described. For a 12v system, I wouldn't want the voltage drop much more than 0.5v from 100% to 50%. For 5v, it should even closer.

Ohms Law still rules.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:13:19 AM by JonB256 »