Author Topic: Test updated Pi SD image w/ FPP v1.9 and support for Pi Zero W wireless.  (Read 2669 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 148
I have created a new SD image for the Pi which contains FPP v1.9 along with the newer kernel and firmware needed to support the Pi Zero W wireless.  If anyone has time to do some testing of this, it is located at http://fpp.bc2va.org/images/FPP-v1.9-Pi-beta.zip

I have only tested this on a Zero W so far, but it should be fine on all other Pi models as well.  If all seems well, in a week or so, I will upload it to the release directory on github and update the FPP install instructions to point to the newer image.
-
Chris

Offline jtrpop

• Kudos: 0
  • Jason Rasmussen
It's my first year RGB, but I plan on running a mini-mega-tree at work without sound with a Pi Zero W & Pi Cap. I don't have my pixels yet though. Does it need an external USB drive to run the 'show' off of like normal FPP?

Thanks

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
It's my first year RGB, but I plan on running a mini-mega-tree at work without sound with a Pi Zero W & Pi Cap. I don't have my pixels yet though. Does it need an external USB drive to run the 'show' off of like normal FPP?

FPP has supported the Zero for a while, this new SD image adds in a new kernel to support the wireless on the Zero W.  The same config requirements apply for this as to previous SD images.  You can use USB or SD for storage, although I recommend USB.  On the Zero though, it can make sense to use SD for storage.  I have an Infinity Mirror running FPP in my office that was built using an original Zero w/ USB Wireless dongle and sequences stored on the SD card.

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
Cap'n is the read only supported in the version 1.9 branch or more of a get all the way up and then run a script?

Have a couple of the zero laying around.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
Cap'n is the read only supported in the version 1.9 branch or more of a get all the way up and then run a script?

Have a couple of the zero laying around.

The only way to get the read-only support is to run the script after installing, it isn't built into any SD image yet.

Offline plaberge

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
Hi Cap'n, I am back from my extended vacation and I was finally able to test FPP v1.9 Beta on a Pi Zero W. I can confirm that the onboard wireless works as it should. I have, however, encountered a couple of key problems that are preventing me from using the Pi Zero W's that I have: 1) the rpi_ws281x module no longer works and 2) my USB keyboard is not recognized once the system has built itself.

Regarding 1) I've attached the log files (debug level). I can't see anything obviously abnormal but I am likely missing something. I don't have a scope but do have a multi-meter that can measure frequency. With a standard Pi Zero, I can see a ~9.6 KHz signal coming out of Pin 12, on the Zero W, I don't detect any signal.

Regarding 2) Not being able to use a keyboard is normally not a problem but to deal with some physical dimension constraints, I need to switch my storage to the SD card from the USB for the application that I am building. Without a keyboard I am unable to configure the wireless and thus the PI becomes unreachable. (In the future, any chance you could add an option to copy the contents of the USB to internal memory (at the very least, the dns and interface.wlan0 files) when switching external storage devices?)

If you need additional info, please let me know. PM me if it would be helpful to have a zoom session.

Paul.
Paul.
Deep Cove, North Van. BC

Offline plaberge

• Supporting Member
I figured out the problem with the rpi_ws281x module on the Pi Zero W. There is no definition for the Zero W in the current rpi_hw.c code. When I added the following definition, I am able to get the lights to blink as they should using the test file generated by Scons as described in the rpi_ws281x README.md file.

Code: [Select]
//
// Pi Zero W
//
{
    .hwver  = 0x9000c1,
    .type = RPI_HWVER_TYPE_PI1,
    .periph_base = PERIPH_BASE_RPI,
    .videocore_base = VIDEOCORE_BASE_RPI,
    .desc = "Pi Zero W",
}, 

I think I recompiled that library when I created the test file but I may be missing some steps to make it work with the FPP - somebody let me know how to do that, and I'd be happy to test it out.

Chris, I just checked and see that definitions for the "Pi Zero W" and "Pi Zero W v1.1" have now been added to the rpihw.c on github - https://github.com/jgarff/rpi_ws281x/blob/master/rpihw.c  When you have a chance, could create another image that brings in the new version of that library.

Paul.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:37:27 PM by plaberge »

Offline Jonnyb44

• Kudos: 1
Would it be possible to have the image create a network folder with the wlan0 file that can be edited. I swamped the USB and sd to a pi3 setup wlan0 and swapped um back. It worked but editing the file would be easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline plaberge

• Supporting Member
A couple of updates - I finally managed to move the storage over to the SD card on the Pi Zero W by adding a few lines to the startup script to create dns and interface.wlan0 files in the /media/config directory if they are not present. As Jonnyb44 suggests, creating dummy versions of these would make it somewhat easier to configure the Pi Zero and Zero W. And lo and behold, when I plugged my USB keyboard directly into the Pi, it worked. The problem may have been related to my USB hub - although, the hub worked during the initial build. Weird!

I also tried to rebuild the fpp to incorporate the change to the rpi_ws281x library by running "make all" in the /opt/fpp/src directory. It seemed to be all working fine until it tried to build fppd, at which point it failed with an undefined reference as shown below:

Code: [Select]
channeloutput/RGBMatrix.o: In function `RGBMatrixOutput::Init(Json::Value)':
RGBMatrix.cpp:(.text+0x8a8): undefined reference to `rgb_matrix::RGBMatrix::RGBMatrix(rgb_matrix::GPIO*, int, int, int)'
RGBMatrix.cpp:(.text+0x95c): undefined reference to `rgb_matrix::RGBMatrix::SetBrightness(unsigned char)'
RGBMatrix.cpp:(.text+0x96c): undefined reference to `rgb_matrix::RGBMatrix::SetBrightness(unsigned char)'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:285: recipe for target 'fppd' failed
make: *** [fppd] Error 1

Going to look into that but it looks way beyond my current understanding. If anyone has any suggestions, please chime in.

Paul.

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
I downloaded the 1.9 beta image and I'm testing it on Pi Zero and PiZero wireless.  I swear that in previous versions of FPP the OS/Hardware icon in the upper right hand side of the Status Control screen would shot the Raspberry with Zero overlayed over the image.

My RPi B  shows a B in the Raspberry
My Rpi V3 shows a 3 in the Raspberry
[/size]
[/size]My Rpi Zero (v1.2) running [/size][/color]  does show Zero across the Raspberry.
New Pi Zero  (v1.3) running [/size][/color] does NOT show the Zero.
[/size]The new Rpi Zero Wireless (v1.1)  running [/size][/color][/size] [/size]does NOT show the Zero.
Conclusion the code that querys the O/S is not coded for the new Rpi V1.3 hardware.

[/font]
[/size]

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 42
it is a beta!!  I recall that this has come up before and the capt said it would be fixed in the official release.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
just checking

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 42
Come to think of it.  I have not seen a post from the Capt for quite awhile.  Must be on summer hiatus.  And he is not coming to the Expo this year.

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
Yep taking a bit of time off. I will be teaching FPP beginner at The Expo this year and Ben Shaver is teaching Advanced.

Pat

Offline jed42

• Kudos: 1
Is any one going to use Pi zero/w in there display this year[size=78%]. I was going to use it, but I see its a beta version.[/size]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:39:10 PM by jed42 »