Author Topic: Test updated Pi SD image w/ FPP v1.9 and support for Pi Zero W wireless.  (Read 2381 times)

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 41
Almost everything we do is a beta version.  Try it and see.  If it works make sure you keep a copy of the working version.  There are already folks using the beta version for stuff.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 81
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
If everyone else's Beta versions were as stable as the FPP and xLights Betas, we would have world peace and a good 25cent hot dog in every pot.

I've run my last three years on the latest Beta versions at the time. I've even upgraded (horror!!!) versions during Christmas.

Offline jed42

• Kudos: 1
Please don't get me wrong I'm more then happy with all the work people do to support this hobby. I was just wondering if anyone was going to use the Pi zero with wifi this year. If I'm correct this is the first year the zero came out with wifi, just wanted to see if someone has tested it. 

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
how do you plan to use it, that may help get a better response?

Master / Remote

Stand alone application

What are you going to drive with it

any pihats?

Pat

Offline plaberge

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
Here's what I was planing to use the Zero Ws. For her wedding reception and dance in mid-August, my daughter wanted lighted table centerpieces that would be synchronized to the other Falcon driven lights in the room. The guts of each centerpiece include a 12000mAh USB battery, a Pi Zero W and and two strips of 10 2812B pixels. I 3D-printed a holder for the battery, lights and PI which make it is simple to setup, compact and robust. I had build a prototype at the beginning of the year with a Pi Zero and an EDIMAX wifi dongle -  a bit bulkier but it worked fine.

I was just getting ready to start ordering Pi Zeros (1 needed 16) when the Zero W came out and I could not buy any Pi Zeros any more. Pi Zero Ws were available, so I enlisted a few friends and ordered a bunch. When I got the first one, I did manage to get 1.8 running on it but could not get the the WS2811x module working. I emailed the Captain and he produced this 1.9 Beta. Unfortunately this image does not include the latest WS2811x library, which has an entry for the Zero W. I've updated the library to fix that and can get the lights to blink with a test program. Unfortunately, as I've noted above, there are some undefined Falcon-related calls when I try to recompile the FPP that I can't figure out how to resolve. (My C is very rusty, in fact, haven't used it for 30 years.)

With the Captain taking a break, I've been loath to contact him, so at this point I've pretty much run out of time and have moved on to plan B, which is to use a smart mini RF pixel controller in each table center. They won't be synchronized, but they'll still be pretty.

Paul.

Paul.
Deep Cove, North Van. BC

Offline jed42

I'm going to be running it with dave new pi hat. It will be running as a remote setup on my tune to sign.

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
Here's what I was planing to use the Zero Ws. For her wedding reception and dance in mid-August, my daughter wanted lighted table centerpieces that would be synchronized to the other Falcon driven lights in the room. The guts of each centerpiece include a 12000mAh USB battery, a Pi Zero W and and two strips of 10 2812B pixels. I 3D-printed a holder for the battery, lights and PI which make it is simple to setup, compact and robust. I had build a prototype at the beginning of the year with a Pi Zero and an EDIMAX wifi dongle -  a bit bulkier but it worked fine.

I was just getting ready to start ordering Pi Zeros (1 needed 16) when the Zero W came out and I could not buy any Pi Zeros any more. Pi Zero Ws were available, so I enlisted a few friends and ordered a bunch. When I got the first one, I did manage to get 1.8 running on it but could not get the the WS2811x module working. I emailed the Captain and he produced this 1.9 Beta. Unfortunately this image does not include the latest WS2811x library, which has an entry for the Zero W. I've updated the library to fix that and can get the lights to blink with a test program. Unfortunately, as I've noted above, there are some undefined Falcon-related calls when I try to recompile the FPP that I can't figure out how to resolve. (My C is very rusty, in fact, haven't used it for 30 years.)

With the Captain taking a break, I've been loath to contact him, so at this point I've pretty much run out of time and have moved on to plan B, which is to use a smart mini RF pixel controller in each table center. They won't be synchronized, but they'll still be pretty.

Paul.

can you send a picture of the test rig?

Offline plaberge

• Supporting Member
can you send a picture of the test rig?

Assuming that you mean the hardware, here's a few :) Starting with the first picture: all the components, the assembled holder, with the battery and electronics attached, lit, and inserted into the bottom of the wooden crate that will hold mason jars filled with flowers. In the final units, I'll eliminate all the connectors. There's a piece of white coroplast that sits above the electronics and diffuses the light into two water-filled mason jars. I'll try to remember to take pictures when they are all assembled and ready to go.

Paul.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 12

If you can get the external/rpi_ws281x submodule updated to the latest master code, you can get fppd to build by updating the /opt/fpp/src/Makefile with:
Code: [Select]

index e256d65..88473ad 100644
--- a/src/Makefile
+++ b/src/Makefile
@@ -148,7 +148,7 @@ LIBS_fppd += \
        -lrgbmatrix \
        -lws2811 \
        $(NULL)
-LDFLAGS_fppd += \
+LDFLAGS_fppd += -lrt \
        -L../external/RF24/ \
        -L../external/rpi-rgb-led-matrix/lib/ \
        -L../external/rpi_ws281x/ \
@@ -365,8 +365,9 @@ util: force
                gcc -c -o mailbox.o mailbox.c && \
                gcc -c -o dma.o dma.c && \
                gcc -c -o pwm.o pwm.c && \
+                gcc -c -o pcm.o pcm.c && \
                gcc -c -o ws2811.o ws2811.c && \
-               ar rcs libws2811.a rpihw.o mailbox.o dma.o pwm.o ws2811.o
+               ar rcs libws2811.a rpihw.o mailbox.o dma.o pwm.o ws2811.o pcm.o

#############################################################################
 # LEDscape library and PRU code on the BBB

That should fppd to build cleanly.   I have no idea if that will fix your problem though.    That will get the symbols resolved so fppd will link.
Dan Kulp

Offline plaberge

• Supporting Member
Thanks Dan, I'll give it a try tonight.

Offline plaberge

• Supporting Member
Got it working! Thanks Dan! I could only use the code from the -LDFLAGS_fppd line down. Make did not like any of the lines above that but I guess it didn't matter in this case. Apart from this change to the Makefile, the only other change needed to make the ws2811x outputs work was the addition of the PI Zero W definition to the rpi_hw.c module.

On to the next challenge :)

Paul.

Offline jed42

Hi guys and gals, is there away to edit the network config file? I kind of stinks that I have to swap sd card to configure the network, so I can get my zero working.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
Assuming Windows

If you can access it via a web browser, the type the IP address in the "search window" next to the Start icon

for me, if I type \\192.168.0.90  there, and hit Enter, it opens up a file window to the FPP Media folder. All your settings are in there.

Offline jed42

It's not assigning an IP address. I have to pull the sd out and out into another pi to change the address. I was wondering if there file you could edit so you won't have to keep swapping out.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
Yes. Inside the fpp/media/config folder is an interface.eth0 file. You can edit that to the desired IP, then reboot.
edit with Notepad or Notepad++

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:42:07 PM by JonB256 »