Author Topic: Test updated Pi SD image w/ FPP v1.9 and support for Pi Zero W wireless.  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Cjlocey

• Kudos: 0
Re: Test updated Pi SD image w/ FPP v1.9 and support for Pi Zero W wireless.
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 11:49:25 AM »
So what is the status of the Pi Zero W?  I have multiple I pan on using this year and I can not seem to get the internal wireless card to work.  I can get a USB dongle to work if I edit interface.wlan0 but I have not tried to edit interface.eth0 file yet.  If I copy all the details from the wlan0 file and paste it to the eth0 file should the W work?

Thanks for all the work everyone is doing to help knuckleheads like me to have fun in this hobby.
Curt

Offline Cjlocey

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »
I am running 1.8 on the pi zero w.  How can I get 1.9 to try?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 81
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 08:03:40 PM »
If FPP v1.8 is upgraded to the latest build, then it will normally display an "upgrade to 1.9" button.

The "about.php" page will show you if an upgrade is available.

This is what the About page looks like on my Pi Zero (not a W, though)

Offline Cjlocey

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
with a USB wifi dongle plugged in I did get it upgraded to 1.9.  I did a shutdown then removed the wifi dongle after removing power and them powered it back up and no IP address.  During the start up script it said "invalid card number" a few lines after the FPP - Bringing wlan0 up

Offline shoopity

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 07:41:35 AM »

If you can get the external/rpi_ws281x submodule updated to the latest master code, you can get fppd to build by updating the /opt/fpp/src/Makefile with:

Any chance we can get some more detailed instructions on how to possibly do this?  I can do the work, I'm just not familiar with the specific locations and commands; I don't need specific "Now type cd /opt/fpp/src/Makefile and hit enter", I can edit that Makefile, but I have no idea how to update the submodule (can I just run some command that automagically pulls from github?), or what exactly do I need to run to remake fppd.

Offline shoopity

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2017, 11:33:31 AM »
In case anyone is interested, I was able to get this up and running using a Pi Zero W and rpi_ws281x.  Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure what it was that fixed it since I did so much.  I can say, for those a little less familiar with manually compiling stuff, if you go to the /opt/fpp/src/ folder and type "make fppd", you can compile just fppd.  One problem I kept running into was that, I would pull the git from the official updated rpi_ws281x library, but then when running just "make", it would overwrite the pull I just did.

As plaberge mentioned, there are additional entries for the Pi Zero W models in the rpihw.c file.  I haven't tested if manually adding those additions to the existing file works, or if you have to pull from github (and once I got this working, I didn't want to touch anything else).  But for me, even though I copied the code from dkulp to put in the Makefile, I was still getting some clock errors, so I copied the "-lrt" flag and pasted it up higher in the Makefile under some other "LDFLAGS_fppd +=" section that only had a $NULL entry in it.  That seemed to be what made it work.

I haven't tested using the built-in wifi yet since I got the rpi_ws281x running, but I was able to get it working previously (although, I had it working under the official release, not just this test image) by manually editing the /etc/networking/interfaces file (and maybe the conf file referenced in the default interfaces file, I can't remember what eventually worked).  Like I said, now that I have it working (wireless via a dongle, rpi_ws281x, and a USB 3.5mm adapter; I even got it to work in bridge mode with Vixen running on my Windows box and the Pi directly driving the WS2812 string I have), I don't want to touch anything until after the Christmas season.  Eventually I would like to track down exactly what I did to get it working; now that I know it can work, I'll be a little more methodical in figuring out what made it work, but that'll have to wait for now.

Offline pstube

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2017, 08:33:28 PM »
Ok I need some help getting the rpi_ws281x working. I was able to get the Zero W working on wireless. You'll have to get real newbie on me because I don't know how to get deep in to the Pi to compile things. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Cjlocey

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2017, 08:41:59 PM »
I am in the same boat. I can get the build to finally work but I can not get pins 18 and 19 to work (ws281x)

Offline pstube

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2017, 10:36:45 AM »
Got it working! Thanks Dan! I could only use the code from the -LDFLAGS_fppd line down. Make did not like any of the lines above that but I guess it didn't matter in this case. Apart from this change to the Makefile, the only other change needed to make the ws2811x outputs work was the addition of the PI Zero W definition to the rpi_hw.c module.

On to the next challenge :)

Paul.
Any chance you can help us out by explaining how you did this? Thanks!

Offline plaberge

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2017, 10:07:09 PM »
Let me try to do one better. Give me a day and I'll put an image that works in a Dropbox and you should simply be able to flash that on an SD card, edit the WLAN and DNS files (I'll tell you how) and you should have a PI Zero W that supports WS281x.

The long-term solution is to have one of the more developers (instead of a hack like me) create an image with the new WS2811 libraries that support for the PI Zero W. Hopefully someone can step to the task.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:35:29 PM by plaberge »
Paul.
Deep Cove, North Van. BC

Offline plaberge

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2017, 11:58:53 PM »
I created a copy of my image that supports both the onboard Wifi and WS281x on the latest version (as of this summer) of the Pi Zero W. (Note, there appear to be two versions of the Zero W, but all 16 of the ones that I have are of one type.) Also note that I only tested GPIO18 and WS2812s, but I don't see any reason why GPIO19 or other WS281x pixels would not work. All the standard functions seem to work but I did not do exhaustive testing as I only needed these devices for a very specific purpose.

Here are the steps to get that image onto your Pi Zero W.

0) Click on the following link to download the file. It is 7.76M, so may take a few moments to download.  [size=78%]https://www.dropbox.com/s/6i86l561j0heiwc/PI%20Zero%20W%20V19-beta-8Gb-WS281x-works-0801.img?dl=0[/size]

1) On a Windows PC, copy the downloaded file to a 8GB (it also works on a 16GB) Micro SD card using Win 32 Disk Imager. Specifically, click on the folder icon and navigate to the image and click Open. Make sure that the Device selected is the Micro SD card. Click on the Write button. In about 5 minutes, the image will be on the Micro SD Card.

2) Insert Micro SD card into your Pi Zero W. Connect a Micro HDMI cable between your Pi and a monitor. Also connect a keyboard to the Micro USB port. Power up your Pi.

3) There will be a couple of error messages at first but the Pi should boot up immediately. If you are watching closely, you should see a "No IP(s) found" message flash by.

4) Log into your Pi as the fpp user, password: falcon. A this point you will need to edit a couple network files using your favorite editor. Because I learned Unix in 1977, I still use vi but use nano if you prefer.

5 To get to the files, "cd /media/config"

6) Edit the interface.wlan0 file as follows: change the IP address in the ADDRESS line to reflect an open IP address on your network. If your IP is not on the 192.168.0 network, you'll also need to change the GATEWAY IP, e.g., if your IP address is 192.168.2.23, GATEWAY should be 192.168.2.1.

7) Change SSID and PSK reflect your local network. (And no, that is not really my SSID or PSK.) Save the file.

8 ) Edit the dns file as follows: change DNS1 to be the same IP as the one you used for GATEWAY. Change DNS2 to by the DNS of your IP Provider. If you don't know it, log into your modem. Typically you will see something like WAN DNS with 2 IP addresses. Use the first one. Save the file.

9) Reboot your Pi as follows: "sudo shutdown -r now" As the Pi reboots, you should now see  a "My IP address is ..." message

10) Type that IP address in your browser and it should take you to the Status page.

11) Connect some WS281x to GPIO 18. There's a Test playlist, if you click on Play, you should see a rainbow pattern on the first 20 Pixels.

At this point you should be good to go. Hope it works for you.

Offline pstube

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 03:08:36 PM »
I'll give this a try tonight. Thanks for doing this!

Offline shoopity

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2017, 04:05:32 PM »
I created a copy of my image that supports both the onboard Wifi and WS281x on the latest version (as of this summer) of the Pi Zero W. (Note, there appear to be two versions of the Zero W, but all 16 of the ones that I have are of one type.) Also note that I only tested GPIO18 and WS2812s, but I don't see any reason why GPIO19 or other WS281x pixels would not work. All the standard functions seem to work but I did not do exhaustive testing as I only needed these devices for a very specific purpose.

Here are the steps to get that image onto your Pi Zero W.

Just wanted to let you know, I could get this working, but I had make some changes.  I didn't have a /media/config directory, I only had /media/usb, /media/usb1, etc.  Of course those folders were what were on my USB stick (which you aren't using).  I was able to get my on-board NIC working by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file with the appropriate information.  But the great news is, once I got that going, I was able to use the GPIO pins on my WS2812 strips easy peasy.

I know I had said I had it working previously, but something got messed up when I was trying to switch the media storage to the local SD card (I only had a 4 gig at the time), so I had to re-image.  I was having issues getting back to where I was and while I was going back over this thread to remind myself what I had done, I came across your update.  So now I'm good to go.

This'll be my first year doing anything like this.  I plan to start small and slowly add stuff; this year I'm just going to have 5 candy canes consisting of 60/m WS2812s.  So all I need for that is just a Pi Zero (I'm using a W just because that's what I had) that'll run the show, both the lights on GPIO 18 and the show on a USB headphone adapter, a 5W 10A power supply, and an FM transmitter.

After they officially add support for the Pi W, then all they need to do is incorporate the PiFM code, get FPP to recognize that as a viable sound-out source, then you won't need a separate FM transmitter.  You could have one Pi as the master that FM transmits the sound and sends commands to the slave Pis that are controlling the elements.  Has anyone used a Linknode R4/R8 for wireless relay control?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:13:46 PM by shoopity »