Author Topic: Test updated Pi SD image w/ FPP v1.9 and support for Pi Zero W wireless.  (Read 3310 times)

Offline Cjlocey

• Kudos: 1
Re: Test updated Pi SD image w/ FPP v1.9 and support for Pi Zero W wireless.
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2017, 03:28:55 PM »
Here is a little tip to help others who are following plaberge's instructions

after the change directory (cd)  [size=0px]"cd /media/config"[/size]
[/size][size=0px]type "sudo nano interface.wlan0" to open the editor [/size]
[/size][size=0px]If you are using DHCP or assigning IP addresses via your router like I dom use the following as an example:[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=0px]
INTERFACE=wlan0
PROTO=dhcp
SSID='linksys'
PSK='password'

Thank you plaberge for all your work and sharing
[/size][size=0px]
Running display on pi's with picaps.....no controllers
Some said it could not be done!  4245 pixels and growing!
xLights & FPP - marriage made in pixel heaven

Offline mangoat

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2017, 02:41:55 AM »
just want to say a big THANK YOU! to the original poster, this worked a treat

time to make my pi zero run my wreath :P

cheers
goat

Offline mrhofflich

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »
Hi guys! I just register in this forum to say thanks to whoever did the image for this Zero W... it works like a charm for me! I have a simple set up for this year since I am barely starting on this! This is why I love maker community, I would never have done this on my own.

Thanks!

My set up is the Raspberry Pi Zero W controlling an Arduino Mega and I am using an 8 relay board.

Regards

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 12
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2018, 06:00:43 PM »
Just wanted to post my thanks as well.  I just used this for a Pi Zero W and a Pi Zero (load image, shutdown, solder on wifi board https://n-o-d-e.net/wifi.html, boot up to a Pi Zero with wireless).  Simple, straight forward instructions.  Thank you!

Now to get the other 3 Zeros and 1 Zero W up and running for who knows what (just tinkering for now - no actual plans for use  :D )
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)

This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2018, 12:05:00 PM »
I got this loaded on a Pi Zero W and seems fine.  But appears it won't allow updates due to
Code: [Select]
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
           src/Makefile

If we run this image, are we stuck at version 1.9-50 (23 changes behind) until the master is updated to support the Zero-W?

Also want to check if what I'm seeing is correct:

1. I can use this (plaberge) image to load a Zero-W and use the onboard WiFi but I can't update the version until the fixes are rolled into the master release.  Is that correct?

2. I can use the standard FPP install on a Zero or Zero-W but it will only work with external USB dongle for network (either wired or wireless).  i.e. the onboard WiFi won't work with the standard install, but otherwise the current FPP firmware will run on Zero or Zero-W with external net adapter.  Is that correct?

Vixen and xLights for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 173
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2018, 02:40:22 PM »
I got this loaded on a Pi Zero W and seems fine.  But appears it won't allow updates due to
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
           src/Makefile

If you don't mind having to restore the SD image, I can give you some instructions to try to get around this and allow manually upgrading from the command line.  I think the main issue is probably the rpi_ws281x library upgrade which I will start looking at soon, but it won't make it into v1.10.
-
Chris

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2018, 02:58:35 PM »
  I think the main issue is probably the rpi_ws281x library upgrade which I will start looking at soon, but it won't make it into v1.10.

This confuses me.  I figured the issue had to do with the onboard wifi since the non-W zero had no problem.   I haven't tried it yet, but are you saying the V1.10 software on a non-W Pi Zero can't run 2811 pixels ?

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2018, 03:03:05 PM »
If you don't mind having to restore the SD image, I can give you some instructions to try to get around this and allow manually upgrading from the command line.

Yes please  ;D
No I don't mind  ;)

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2018, 03:04:53 PM »
  I think the main issue is probably the rpi_ws281x library upgrade which I will start looking at soon, but it won't make it into v1.10.

This confuses me.  I figured the issue had to do with the onboard wifi since the non-W zero had no problem.   I haven't tried it yet, but are you saying the V1.10 software on a non-W Pi Zero can't run 2811 pixels ?

Sorry, the main issue with pulling in updates.  The WiFi fix shouldn't have required updating the Makefile.

Can you ssh into the Pi and run the following and post the output?

cd /opt/fpp
sudo git diff

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2018, 03:17:49 PM »
Can you ssh into the Pi and run the following and post the output?

cd /opt/fpp
sudo git diff

Here ya go...
fpp@PiZeroW-WS2811 ~ $ cd /opt/fpp
fpp@PiZeroW-WS2811 /opt/fpp $ sudo git diff
diff --git a/scripts/startup b/scripts/startup                                                                                                             
index a513d5a..5917d4d 100755                                                                                                                               
--- a/scripts/startup                                                                                                                                       
+++ b/scripts/startup                                                                                                                                       
@@ -241,6 +241,22 @@ do                                                                                                                                     
        fi                                                                                                                                                 
 done                                                                                                                                                       
+#If DNS and WLAN0 config files do not exist, create default ones                                                                                           
+                                                                                                                                                           
+       if [ ! -e ${FPPHOME}/media/config/dns ]                                                                                                             
+       then                                                                                                                                               
+               printf "DNS1=\"192.168.0.1\"\nDNS2=\"64.59.144.91\"" > ${FPPHOME}/media/config/dns                                                         
+               echo "Creating DNS config file"                                                                                                             
+       fi                                                                                                                                                 
+                                                                                                                                                           
+                                                                                                                                                           
+       if [ ! -e ${FPPHOME}/media/config/interface.wlan0 ]                                                                                                 
+       then                                                                                                                                               
+               printf "INTERFACE=\"wlan0\"\nPROTO=\"static\"\nADDRESS=\"192.168.0.51\"\nNETMASK=\"255.255.255.0\"\nGATEWAY=\"192.168.0.1\"\n" > ${FPPHOME}/
+               printf "SSID='blahblah'\nPSK='blahblahblah'" >> ${FPPHOME}/media/config/interface.wlan0                                   
+               echo "Creating WLAN config file"                                                                                                           
+       fi                                                                                                                                                 
+                                                                                                                                                           
 # Fixup ownership when mounted on an non-FAT filesystem                                                                                                   
 chown -R ${FPPUSER}.${FPPUSER} ${FPPHOME}/media                                                                                                           
diff --git a/src/Makefile b/src/Makefile                                                                                                                   
index e256d65..6df843c 100644                                                                                                                               
--- a/src/Makefile                                                                                                                                         
+++ b/src/Makefile                                                                                                                                         
@@ -353,20 +353,45 @@ util: force                                                                                                                           
 #############################################################################                                                                             
 # libws2811 on the Pi                                                                                                                                     
-../external/rpi_ws281x/.git:                                                                                                                               
-       @cd ../ && \                                                                                                                                       
-               git submodule init && \                                                                                                                     
-               git submodule update                                                                                                                       
+#../external/rpi_ws281x/.git:                                                                                                                             
+#      @cd ../ && \                                                                                                                                       
+#              git submodule init && \                                                                                                                     
+#              git submodule update                                                                                                                       
+#                                                                                                                                                         
+#../external/rpi_ws281x/libws2811.a: ../external/rpi_ws281x/.git                                                                                           
+#      @echo "Building libws2811"                                                                                                                         
+#      @cd ../external/rpi_ws281x/ && \
+#              gcc -c -o rpihw.o rpihw.c && \
+#              gcc -c -o mailbox.o mailbox.c && \
+#              gcc -c -o dma.o dma.c && \
+#              gcc -c -o pwm.o pwm.c && \
+#              gcc -c -o pwm.o pcm.c && \                                                                                                                 
+#              gcc -c -o ws2811.o ws2811.c && \                                                                                                           
+#              ar rcs libws2811.a rpihw.o mailbox.o dma.o pwm.o ws2811.o pcm.o                                                                             
-../external/rpi_ws281x/libws2811.a: ../external/rpi_ws281x/.git                                                                                           
-       @echo "Building libws2811"                                                                                                                         
-       @cd ../external/rpi_ws281x/ && \                                                                                                                   
+#############################################################################                                                                             
+# Dan's code libws2811 on the Pi                                                                                                                           
+       @echo "Building libws2811 with Dan's code"                                                                                                         
+#index e256d65..88473ad 100644                                                                                                                             
+#--- a/src/Makefile                                                                                                                                       
+#+++ b/src/Makefile                                                                                                                                       
+#@@ -148,7 +148,7 @@ LIBS_fppd += \                                                                                                                       
+#      -lrgbmatrix \                                                                                                                                       
+#      -lws2811 \                                                                                                                                         
+#      $(NULL)                                                                                                                                             
+-LDFLAGS_fppd += \                                                                                                                                         
++LDFLAGS_fppd += -lrt \                                                                                                                                   
+        -L../external/RF24/ \                                                                                                                             
+        -L../external/rpi-rgb-led-matrix/lib/ \                                                                                                           
+        -L../external/rpi_ws281x/ \                                                                                                                       
+@@ -365,8 +365,9 @@ util: force                                                                                                                           
                gcc -c -o rpihw.o rpihw.c && \                                                                                                             
                gcc -c -o mailbox.o mailbox.c && \                                                                                                         
                gcc -c -o dma.o dma.c && \                                                                                                                 
                gcc -c -o pwm.o pwm.c && \                                                                                                                 
+               gcc -c -o pcm.o pcm.c && \                                                                                                                 
                gcc -c -o ws2811.o ws2811.c && \                                                                                                           
-               ar rcs libws2811.a rpihw.o mailbox.o dma.o pwm.o ws2811.o                                                                                   
+               ar rcs libws2811.a rpihw.o mailbox.o dma.o pwm.o ws2811.o pcm.o                                                                             
 #############################################################################                                                                             
 # LEDscape library and PRU code on the BBB                                                                                                                 
diff --git a/src/channeloutput/RGBMatrix.cpp b/src/channeloutput/RGBMatrix.cpp                                                                             
index 1cfaf68..6f5da8f 100644                                                                                                                               
--- a/src/channeloutput/RGBMatrix.cpp                                                                                                                       
+++ b/src/channeloutput/RGBMatrix.cpp                                                                                                                       
@@ -74,7 +74,7 @@ RGBMatrixOutput::~RGBMatrixOutput()                                                                                                       
  */                                                                                                                                                       
 int RGBMatrixOutput::Init(Json::Value config)                                                                                                             
 {                                                                                                                                                         
-       LogDebug(VB_CHANNELOUT, "RGBMatrixOutput::Init(JSON)\n");                                                                                           
+       LogDebug(VB_CHANNELOUT, "RGBMatrixOutput::Init(JSON) - commented out\n");                                                                           
        m_panelWidth  = config["panelWidth"].asInt();
        m_panelHeight = config["panelHeight"].asInt();                                                                                                     
(END)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:32:12 PM by CaptainMurdoch »

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2018, 06:40:50 PM »
OK, that looks like mainly the rpi_ws281x changes not counting Paul's fallback networking info which I updated in your posted diff.

You should be able to run the following commands to update to the latest v1.9:

cd /opt/fpp/src
sudo git stash
sudo git pull
sudo git stash apply
sudo make
sudo ../scripts/fppd_stop
sudo ../scripts/fppd_start

That should stash the changes, download the latest v1.9, reapply Paul's changes, build the new binaries, and then restart fppd.

If that works, then you could run the following if you need to upgrade to v1.10 on that system:

cd /opt/fpp/src/
sudo git stash
sudo git checkout v1.10
sudo git stash apply
sudo make
sudo ../scripts/fppd_stop
sudo ../scripts/fppd_start

That will stash the changes again, checkout v1.10, apply the changes to v1.10, build the binaries, and restart fppd.

If you want to update to the latest v1.10 at some point and can't through the UI, then you can run the first set of commands above to update the currently checked out branch.

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2018, 12:44:07 PM »
Can anybody confirm if DHCP is working with WiFi with the Pi-Zero-W? Everything else seems to be working good so far but I can only get wlan0 working with a static IP address and not a DHCP address. 

I have other devices getting DHCP addresses on the same wireless network so I believe my DHCP server/router is fine.  Its just my Pi-zero's that don't seem to like DHCP
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:06:38 PM by pixelpuppy »

Offline TexasStingray

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2018, 06:23:35 AM »
Just wanted to say I got this working on one of my Zero W's as a Remote with a Pi3 as the master. I spend hours on this to get the remote working with my ATT Router, This morning I tried one of my NETIS Routers and it work perfect.

Thanks for this.

Offline vipersinu2

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2018, 08:11:58 AM »

That will stash the changes again, checkout v1.10, apply the changes to v1.10, build the binaries, and restart fppd.

Captain, I loaded Paul's image worked perfect, then I followed post by Cjlocey
cd /media/config
sudo nano interface.wlan0
INTERFACE=wlan0
PROTO=dhcp
SSID='linksys'
PSK='password'

Then I followed your post to get to 1.10, worked perfectly and the FPP zero is at 1.10. Am I done now or do I have to update binaries?

One question not sure what this means in the post says
"checkout v1.10, apply the changes to v1.10, build the binaries, and restart fppd"

Offline TexasStingray

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2018, 08:49:57 PM »
So I thought I would setup a second remote pi zero w. so I have a pi 3 v10 and 2 pi zero w's v9. The host names for the remotes are PiZeroW01 and PiZeroW02. in the multisync screen all three are visible from each of the pi web server pages. and on the Pi 3 it how network is also visible. The 2 PiZeroW's are configures the same in the network page except the IP one is 192.168.3.5 and the other is 192.168.3.10 and the Pi 3 is 192.168.3.3. and 192.168.1.80. When I play a playlist or a test sequence PiZeroW01 starts playing but I cannot get PiZeroW02 to start up with the playlist or the sequence. The sequence files are all on the remotes as I clicked the sync files and saw that they were copied over to 02 as 01 already has the files. If I make 01 a standalone player and just try to use one remote 02 it still does not startup the sequence. Any Ideas?