Author Topic: Need Hardware Advice  (Read 256 times)

Offline Nhazgul

• Kudos: 0
Need Hardware Advice
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »
Situation.  I want to drive about 50,000 LEDs and almost 5,000 WS2812B 5V pixels.  In the past I used various pre-programmed 3 and 5 channel sequencers set to generic Christmas music.  I am not worried about the LEDs or dumb RGBs.  I have two pixel boards of 65x15 (975) each, 990 first floor eve, and 340 on second floor eve, and 424 on my garage.  The pixels on the house are permanently installed and sequenced with 3 cheap SP105E Magic Controllers.  The pixel boards are currently driven by 2 [/size]T1000S controllers.  I have Holiday videos I designed in Adobe Animator and LEDEdit 2014.  Ideally, I would like to build the shows around the pixel boards and the videos.[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]First, I need hardware suggestions for incorporating my permanent house pixels into the show without having to break the strings into groups of 100 pixels.  I can easily break the 1st floor into 300 and 690.[/color]

[/size]Second, I need to drive the pixel boards with the music.  I have a bottom to left to right sequence of 15 columns 65 pixels high.  I could break these down to 65 pixel or 130 pixel groups.  Is there an easy way to convert my .led files and what hardware would you suggest?  [/color]

[/size]Third, I was looking at LOR 16 Channel CTB16PC kits for sequencing the LEDs any more cost effective suggestions?[/color]

[/size]Thank you all in advance.[/color]

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 14
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Need Hardware Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 10:11:54 PM »
A picture of what you have or want to do is probably easier to understand than the description. A Falcon F16V3 pixel controller will likely be capable of controlling all the pixels you want to do. Just sequence it up with Xlights and you're done. Depending on what voltage the LEDs are that you are wanting to control the the 2811DC15 or 2811DC30 that I make could be suitable and much cheaper than most other options. If they are 110V or 240V led strings then you don't have many other options than the LOR CTB16 or a Renard board. At the cost of a LOR AC board it is just about cheaper to throw away the LED's and replace with pixels.
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue of my blinky bits
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 05:18:13 AM »
Lynx express controllers are cheaper than LOR but Renard is cheaper than that for the LEDs. What type/shape of pixels do you want permanently mounted to the house and where? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nhazgul

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:58:07 PM »
This video was from the previous year after the first day of installing.  The following day we installed the front eve and the garage.  The pixels are already built into eve.  I will try to get a close up pic for better understanding.  I am trying to avoid renting a lift removing, soldering, and remounting the pixels.  There are 690 pixels on the side-peak and it will be a couple weeks of work to breakup the run into 7 channels.  It currently runs off a single pre-programmed controller which handle 2048 pixels.  The pixels are strip lights attached to a custom piece of aluminum flashing that matches the house.  Invisible from the street during the day.

I currently hide all the electronics on the porch ceiling.  Its about 60' to the back corner how far can i push the digital signal?  I am not super excited about putting up multiple controllers under the eves and re-waterproofing to setup.  I have also considered signal boosters its fairly simple to run low voltage under in the eves.  Is there a controller that lets me control a single channel of 690 pixels and can be sequenced with my LEDs?

Short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyYE_3wuL14

If you like fireworks the other videos are a show we did with DIY computerized ignition system.

Thanks All!!!