Author Topic: F32B  (Read 260 times)

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 6
F32B
« on: May 18, 2017, 02:09:07 PM »

While waiting for some stuff to test my F8B, I decided to try and create another board that uses more of the BBB.   I decided to try an F32-B that has 32 local output, 2 differential ports (8 strings total) and 2 other differential ports that can be used for 8 DMX/PixelNet or to more sets of strings.   First problem:  Eagle "free" board size restriction.  Thus, I flipped over to KiCad and redid a lot of stuff.   Couple days of learning and I now have things laid out.   It's a bit tight as I was trying to keep it to 15cm x 15cm to keep the elecrow cost down a bit.  Going up to 20cm in either direction will jump the cost by at least $2/board.

Anyway, once I'm back from a work related trip, I hope to be able to test the F8B stuff and finalize that.  I'll likely then order some boards.  :)
Dan Kulp

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
Re: F32B
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:51:29 PM »
Cool

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jerry Plak

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 68
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:20:42 PM »
In the spirit of 1980's computers - who would ever need that many outputs?

Offline Phrog30

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 05:57:26 PM »
People that don't like power injection and insist on running only 100 pixels per output would probably be all over it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline dkulp

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:36:17 PM »
People that don't like power injection and insist on running only 100 pixels per output would probably be all over it.

Yep.  That's exactly what I'm going to use it for.   My megatree currently uses an F16-B with an expansion port for 32 outputs.   My matrix on my bushes is currently 14 strings on an F16-B, but I'm expanding it to 28 strings next year and was planning on just adding an expansion board there to match the mega tree, but since I'm designing boards and such I decided to just design a single board instead. 

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 02:55:12 PM »
pulling up a chair..

I like less on an output, but was shy of a few outputs last year.  Less of your show goes dark if you have an issue.

Offline dkulp

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 08:01:54 PM »
I need to test the differential outputs to make sure I have the pinouts correct.   I've just been very busy.  Baseball, Soccer, and Lacrosse season keeps me busy with the kids this time year.   I'm hoping to test that out sometime this week. 

I've tried to keep the board under 15cmx15cm since the cost at elecrow jumps pretty bad when one of the dimensions goes above that.   That said, the parts are the killer.   The 33 fuse holders themselves are $25 at digikey.  I think all the parts are about $90 or so.  (for quantity 1) Some parts are cheaper at mouser, but I haven't really priced everything out yet. 

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 08:18:03 AM »
Some people include things like fuse holders when doing a group buy on boards as they can be purchased in bulk from AliExpress and such at a discounted rate... of course that's more work for you if you decide on a group buy, which might not be something you want to do.
Here is one link, and fuse holders are $0.15/ea.
Free shipping.Small car fuse holder PCB board sold small even clip seat car seat even trumpet trumpet Insur Slide
 http://s.aliexpress.com/vyUV3yuq
(from AliExpress Android)

Offline dkulp

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »
Yea... Dave sent me an ebay link for the pixel connector/socket things as I couldn't find the right one available at Digikey or Mouser.   Thanks for the fuseholder link (and a link at the bottom had good prices for the 5amp fuses).   There is definitely some savings for various things via other routes.    I think my next step will be an "interest" thread to see if there is enough interest for a group buy.  I can use the higher Digikey values as a "maximum" for the interest.