Author Topic: Need more than 340 pixels on expansion ports  (Read 256 times)

Offline BirdingPix

• Kudos: 0
Need more than 340 pixels on expansion ports
« on: June 21, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
Hi David,
When will I be able to program the controller to have "MOST" of the 640 pixels for each string at ports 17-32 ?    I recall you mentioned you would create a firmware version to allow this in the F16V2-R Controller.    I plan to connect all strings via the expansion ports and no strings at all attached to the main controller ports 1-16.

THANK YOU!
Dave

but David was mentioning making it so you can split the number of pixels between the differential and main boards on an individual basis more.

E.g. 640 total, but I only have 100 on port 16, so I can have 540 on port 32 if he gets that feature built in.

Just to clarify.  I will allow the 680 pixels to be split between main board and expansion but the split will be the whole main board and the expansion not a per port basis.

Question:  using the F16V2-R Controller (shipping late February 2017) and a Differential Expansion Board and 4 Differential Receiver Boards... I do not plan to have ANY pixel strings connected locally at the F16V2-R controller.  All pixel strings will be connected to the Differential Receiver Boards scattered around the yard. 

So I do not want nor need any of the 640 pixels reserved for strings 1-16.   

Can I program the controller to have all 640 pixels for each string at ports 17-32 ?   Thats important for me to know before I order these boards which will ship in May.

Thank you!

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 59
Re: Need more than 340 pixels on expansion ports
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 11:26:38 PM »
Not sure. It may happen this year for the F16V2/F16V2R. Cannot give a time as to when, at this time.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 11:16:13 AM »
BirdingPix,

You mentioned ordering boards back around Jan/Feb for boards that ship in May of this year.   So I'm wondering if you are really asking about V2 or the V3 board.

The V3 board has this feature now.   David is talking about possibly doing an update to the older V2 boards to allow something similar.   If you ordered in Feb and recieved you board now, then I would think you have a V3 board which already does what you are asking.

Vixen3, FPP, F16v2, xL4

Offline BirdingPix

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 07:23:37 PM »
I placed my order on Jan 1, 2017... and received my new F16v2-red assembly on March 18, 2017.   

So thanks for your thoughts... I appreciate that...  but I've got the v2 board. 

It works great and I am now deep into the elements design and yard layout... and UNFORTUNATELY I am having to make sure I do NOT exceed 320 PIXELS on any port.   So far I can get DATA to what I need to... but I am worried that this 320 PIXEL limit per port may yet bite me as I add more elements. 

I bought this board based on reading what David said he could do to update the v2 firmware to allow for MORE THAN 320 per port when using Differential Expansion Board and 4 Differential Receiver Boards.    My elements are too far away from the controller so I don't want to use the main board pixel ports.

I don't need all 640 PIXELS on ports 17-32... but something like 600 or so would be wonderful!   

I am okay so far... but I'm almost bumping into the 5,120 PIXEL MAXIMUM... yet of course I am HOPEFUL that David will find the time to make the firmware update. 

Thanks again for asking. 
Dave