Author Topic: String Connector for F16-V1  (Read 239 times)

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
String Connector for F16-V1
« on: June 26, 2017, 02:06:42 PM »
I got my hands on an older F16-V1 controller that has the terminals which don't have the modular/plug-in connections for each light string... rather, I'd need to screw and unscrew them each season when connecting and disconnecting wires (I don't use cable glans and CG-xxxx boxes--I merely use marine battery boxes). My other F16-V1 controllers that I got in the March 2015 group buy were modular, so I'd like to change the one controller to match the others.

Is there a specific or exact name for the connectors? Looking at pictures online, they seem to be 3.5 mm spacing? Searching Mouser, Google Images, and eBay, I see many that look similar, but are there universal standards for the male/female connectors (sort of how there is a universal standard for microchip sockets), so I don't have to go with a specific manufacturer? Since shipping from Mouser is rather outrageous at $20, I was thinking of ordering from eBay since I have plenty of time to have stuff come on the slow boat from China and solder them on.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:30:13 PM by Gary »

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 59
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
Re: String Connector for F16-V1
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
Yes. If you have an F16V1 board that runs from Pixelnet not Ethernet. Please buy the exact ones I linked.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 07:27:55 PM »
I just put 3 pin female waterproof connectors on each output of my F16v1a.  I have the matching male connectors on each of my light strings anyway so now they mate up just fine without the pain of trying to unsolder all those old connectors.  I have been using 20cm length on my connectors, but I am going to swap them out for 50cm lengths this year as sometimes the openings from the marine battery boxes got too full using the 20cm ones because of the end of the cables being to close to the opening.  YMMV
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 12:32:56 AM »
Yes. If you have an F16V1 board that runs from Pixelnet not Ethernet. Please buy the exact ones I linked.

I removed all the old connectors (about 20-30 minutes with the trusty Radio Shack desoldering iron), and was about to order the connectors, but I thought I'd do a final comparison since I sent my messages from work earlier in the day. I noticed that there is a slight difference between what I have now (Mine.png) versus the main picture in the eBay Listing (ebay.png)... on my current connectors, the portion that sits on the board has a notch at the leading edge, and the portion that plugs in has a tiny notch... versus the eBay listing shows that the portion that sits on the board has a notch a bit down inside from the leading edge, and the portion that plugs in has what I'd describe as a slide rather than a notch with a different placement. However, in the same listing, there is another picture (ebay 2.png) with dimensions on it which shows the notches like what I have now.

Is it a crapshoot on what type of connector I will get?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:01:41 AM by Gary »

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 12:56:06 AM »
I just put 3 pin female waterproof connectors on each output of my F16v1a.  I have the matching male connectors on each of my light strings anyway so now they mate up just fine without the pain of trying to unsolder all those old connectors.  I have been using 20cm length on my connectors, but I am going to swap them out for 50cm lengths this year as sometimes the openings from the marine battery boxes got too full using the 20cm ones because of the end of the cables being to close to the opening.  YMMV

Since I'm using the on-board connectors to connect and disconnect my pixel strings on my equipment from last year, I thought I'd use those instead of additional waterproof connectors. I figure that it doesn't make sense to add an extra modular connector on each of my cable runs.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 01:04:28 AM »
I have bought about 3000 connectors from the source I listed. You can try some others on Ebay but I know FennyFenny is a great source.

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 01:12:37 AM »
I have bought about 3000 connectors from the source I listed. You can try some others on Ebay but I know FennyFenny is a great source.

Thanks for the quick reply.

P.S. Do you sleep? :D