Author Topic: design question  (Read 532 times)

Offline my73bimmer

• Kudos: 0
design question
« on: July 09, 2017, 09:21:39 AM »
So, here it is my setup:
1- RPi 3 - stand alone (conneted via wifi to a stand alone router) - driving a PiCap remotely and an 8 channel SSR via GPIO's (I use ethernet cables to send the GPIO's signal to the PiCap and the SSR remotely)

1- F16v3 - connected via ethernet to the stand alone Wifi Router.

I outline the borders of the house to be used with the F16v3 only (I do not think I need power injection for the outline).  The PiCap will drive the tree and the arches.
My main problem is to know how many distro's I need , the power injection part, and how many power supplies would be good enough for this little setup with the PiCap to drive 660 nodes. (see picture)
As of right now, I have 1 - 12V 30a 360W Power supply connected to the F16v3.
I will be using Ray Wu's pixels.

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
Re: design question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 12:17:05 PM »
Sounds like you're using 12v nodes for the tree and arches.  Generally you need to inject every 100-150, so you'll need 3-5 injection points for the tree, and you can probably get away with just injecting power at the start of the first arch, and the end of the last arch.

My guess is you'll probably need two power supplies, one for the tree and arches, and another for the F16 to power the house outline.

Offline my73bimmer

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 01:12:05 PM »
Yes, I am ordering 12V nodes. This information helps a lot.
Now, I can tell Ray Wu to custom build the all my strings for the power injection.

thanks for the clarification. I need to order things asap to start testing and setting everything up before xmas

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 02:21:59 PM »
Now, I can tell Ray Wu to custom build the all my strings for the power injection.

thanks for the clarification. I need to order things asap to start testing and setting everything up before xmas

Probably just inject every 100 on the tree then, so all the injection points are near the bottom of the tree.  I think Ray already carries Injection T's for doing power injection unless you're having him make a strand of 500 pixels with the injection points where they need to be...

There are other things about your setup that seem a bit confusing.  One is the location of your PiCap so far from the RPi3.  Is this something you have done before?  Typically the PiCap sits right on top of the RPi.

Will the RPi3 be your show player?  If so, you might consider connecting the eth0 output of the Pi into the router as well, that way data is hardwired from the RPi3 to the F16.  Typically we stay away from transmitting E1.31 data over WiFi, and use eth0 only.

Offline my73bimmer

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 03:19:22 PM »

Probably just inject every 100 on the tree then, so all the injection points are near the bottom of the tree.  I think Ray already carries Injection T's for doing power injection unless you're having him make a strand of 500 pixels with the injection points where they need to be...

There are other things about your setup that seem a bit confusing.  One is the location of your PiCap so far from the RPi3.  Is this something you have done before?  Typically the PiCap sits right on top of the RPi.

Will the RPi3 be your show player?  If so, you might consider connecting the eth0 output of the Pi into the router as well, that way data is hardwired from the RPi3 to the F16.  Typically we stay away from transmitting E1.31 data over WiFi, and use eth0 only.
I was reading that you only need the gpio 18 and 19 from the RPi to drive the PiCap and use 12V power supply to power the 2 outputs on the PiCap. I am taking advantage of the GPIO's on the RPi 3 and use and rj45 cable to send the signal to my 8 channel SSR relay and the PiCap.  I use this little adapter to make things easier. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 04:29:51 PM »
Non conventional,  but it might work?  Moving signals and power at any sort of distance makes things complicated,  but since i don't know you and your abilities,  I'll assume you either know these things,  or like tinkering around!?  Good luck,  can't wait to see how this works out.

Offline my73bimmer

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 05:41:41 PM »
Non conventional,  but it might work?  Moving signals and power at any sort of distance makes things complicated,  but since i don't know you and your abilities,  I'll assume you either know these things,  or like tinkering around!?  Good luck,  can't wait to see how this works out.
Last year, I only had the 8 channel SSR with a 100' Ethernet cable sending the signals via GPIO. The music was also coming from the RPi 3 audio jack to a little amplifier. Here it is a little video of my setup las Xmas. At the beginning, you can see the stand alone SSR and the connector I used to send the signal.
https://youtu.be/sxiOw0Jrl7E

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 07:34:20 PM »
Very nice!  Thanks for  sharing!

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 05:34:33 AM »
Wait. On your injection you should inject at 200 and 400 on the tree.  Remember the power flows both ways. So the 200 will power 101-300. 400 would power 300-500.  The first 100 would come from the Pi.  The arches I would do what was said at the start and end.

Offline my73bimmer

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 08:22:36 AM »
Wait. On your injection you should inject at 200 and 400 on the tree.  Remember the power flows both ways. So the 200 will power 101-300. 400 would power 300-500.  The first 100 would come from the Pi.  The arches I would do what was said at the start and end.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline th182

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 09:38:42 PM »
+1 on Ethernet breakout board for gpio from pi to relay board. I have a relay board in the yard that is controlled by a pi in the house with cat5 between them. Works like a charm!