Author Topic: Info on adding Remote Pi's to a show. Channel configs, etc...  (Read 261 times)

Offline centauri61032

• Kudos: 0
Hey all...
I tried searching for my answers here, and didn't find them. (Although I'm surprised this hasn't been asked before.) Just point me to the right place if you know where it is.

Last year was my first time using xLights (switched from LOR), and running my show from FPP on a Pi w/Falcon controllers.
This year I want to add 2 Remote Pi's, with matrix panels. (I am using Pi at the remotes, NOT BBB)
I pretty much have figured out everything based on info I could find, and have been able to run some successful tests. But I have just a couple of questions/assumptions..

On the remote Pi's, I am assuming that I only have to define the channels/universes for the P10's that are attached to that particular Pi? Is that correct? Or does it also for some reason need to know about all of the other channels being used in the show. (I do have E131 output turned off, and only the P10 output turned on)

On the Master Pi, I am assuming that is needs to have ALL channels/universes defined, even those channels for the Remote P10's. Is that also correct?

In xLights, I am also assuming it needs to know about all channels? Correct?

I pretty much have all of the networking pieces down. I am just a but unclear about these channel settings, and how to set them for the fewest issues and best efficiency.
And if there are any other 'gotchas' I should know about, please include those as well.

Oh, I should also add....  These matrix panels are basically replacements for my radio signs. However, they will also be part of the show in addition to showing the radio frequency. My original static radio signs were double sided, so I am configuring these the same. I wanted to have both sides show the same thing, but didn't want to define them as 2 separate models, etc...  Basically, I built a WYE data ribbon cable for the output of the Pi hat (photo attached). In other words, both of the back-to-back panels connect to one port on the Pi. And during testing, this seems to work great. If there is some reason I shouldn't be doing this, let me know. Otherwise, just passing on to everyone that this seems to work.

Thanks!

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 6
Re: Info on adding Remote Pi's to a show. Channel configs, etc...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 12:29:54 PM »
I did a search and I found a thread that answers some of your questions.

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,5566.msg57061.html#msg57061
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:23:38 PM by Ebuechner »

Offline centauri61032

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
Hey! Thanks for that link!
One thing it does not address is the channel settings in xLights.
I kind of get the impression that it doesn't really matter.
So I just went ahead and defined 90 universes in xLights, to make sure every possible model was covered.
But if this is an issue (making fseq files way to big, etc.), please let me know!

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 37
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
I never worry about making things two big.  I have 110 universes of 512, mainly because of channel hungry P10 panels.  With xlights you can always go back later and optimize if you want to and all you have to do from a sequencing standpoint is open the xml file and resave to fseq.  I alway delete the old fseq before starting just to make sure I am getting a smaller file and not just an updated file.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP