Author Topic: P10 panel flickering outline  (Read 1552 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: P10 panel flickering outline
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 10:39:50 AM »
Making that last set of changes (from 130 to 300 and 1 to 2 ) removed almost all the flicker and ghosting.

Reducing brightness in LED Panels to 70% got rid of the rest of it. Thanks.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »
I was able to make some progress with this issue. Since FPP is using an older version of the RGB Matrix library, the settings shown in the documentation that I mentioned earlier are not available.

I was able to find a constant in the code that controls the PWM Nanoseconds for LSB. I manually changed it and rebuilt FPP using the following.

Code: [Select]
cd /opt/fpp/external/rpi-rgb-led-matrix/lib
sudo nano framebuffer.cc

modify the following line "static const long kBaseTimeNanos = 130;" and change 130 to 300
Save the file and exit

sudo make
cd /opt/fpp/src
sudo rm fppd
sudo make

I then restarted FPP and ran some tests.

The ghosting is now gone for the most part. It still seems to show a little when the text is first displayed but goes away completely after a second. So, I don't know if there is something else in the code that needs changed.

Would it be possible to update the library to the latest version and add this as a setting on the matrix page? I would be willing to do this myself even it was only on my local copy, but I am not that familiar with Linux or the FPP code. So, I would probably need a lot of help.

Just a FYI: I finally..finally got around to doing this, and I can say that this change has made a big improvement to the aliasing / ghosting on my P10 panels.

I was seeing the aliasing on my panels through my color light board, and this resolved that as well.

Thanks for the help on this one!

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 09:37:00 AM »
I had done the above change with good results (flickering at "end of string")

but did a re-install after a Texas sunshine temperature related crash. Started flickering again because it went back to "130" instead of "300"

If you are using a RasPi Matrix hat, I highly recommend this change. If you follow those instructions to the letter, it is worth it.
I only restarted FPPD when done and it worked fine. Didn't need to reboot.