Author Topic: LOR / Falcon Interoperability  (Read 319 times)

Online koehlerg

• Kudos: 0
Re: LOR / Falcon Interoperability
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 09:46:26 AM »
One more item. This I'm going to split them onto 2-3 different F16v3 with different universes if I can. I didn't like having all my eggs in one basket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slinger, WI

Offline Griz

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 02:18:39 PM »
That's a great idea.  I'm thinking about separating all of my falcon, LOR controllers,  projectors,  p10 to their own FPPs and respective universes.  That way if something fails the impact to the holistic show should be minimized.   

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 36
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
I have a Pi with FPP on EVERY controller.  No more data cable running around my yard.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline Griz

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 01:17:13 PM »
I have a Pi with FPP on EVERY controller.  No more data cable running around my yard.

You have a lot more confidence Wi-Fi than I do!

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 04:02:26 PM »
Trying to drive all of your controllers from one point is kind of old-school thinking at this point brought over from LOR.

And I agree that's an awful lot of confidence in a Wi-Fi signal but if it works more power to him.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 04:15:21 PM »
You guys have to remember that with master remote the only thing going over wifi is short sync pulses to keep the FPPs in sync.  Even if no sync pulse went out the lights keep running once a sequence starts.  Very little wifi is needed except when uploading a sequence.  I ran my 2016 show using 5 remotes and it worked great.

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
You guys have to remember that with master remote the only thing going over wifi is short sync pulses to keep the FPPs in sync.  Even if no sync pulse went out the lights keep running once a sequence starts.  Very little wifi is needed except when uploading a sequence.  I ran my 2016 show using 5 remotes and it worked great.
I understand that but I don't know if I would trust it to sync over WiFi. Worried about it failing to sync with the rest of the show.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »

My 2016 show consisted of 5 BBB based controllers and 2 Pi based controllers running master/slave over wifi (BBB master was wired, rest were wifi) and didn't have a single issue.   That said, I had a dedicated access point (and ESSID) for the show and EVERY controller was either a Pi or BBB and thus there was no e1.31 traffic at all.   Zero.  None. 
Dan Kulp

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 72
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »
I understand that but I don't know if I would trust it to sync over WiFi. Worried about it failing to sync with the rest of the show.

Unless your WiFi would need to go more than 50 to 100 meters, or has obstructions known to block the signal, then it is high reliability. As Jim said, the amount of data used to Sync is tiny and very repetitious, used just to Start and then keep synchronized. I think this will be my 4th or 5th season to run remotes via both wireless or CAT5. Never noticed a difference between them. Be brave and try it.

If I was going to run CAT5 to every FPP, I'd probably run them in Bridge mode anyway. Saves some file updating time.

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 09:34:13 AM »
This will be my first year for running multiple pi and I have an inherent mistrust of Wi-Fi. I'm sure I'm going to run my big P10 panel as a slave to cut down on the network traffic but I'm going to start off with a wired connection so the file uploads go quick and I can count on the sync, but I might venture out and do wireless on the small P10 panel because it's going to be nothing more than a tune to sign.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 07:36:35 PM »
Im not against wired connections and I would prefer them but I didn't want to deal with getting across the driveway so I did wifi last year.  I'm just curious for the people who doubt the wifi if you have any problems the rest of the year with devices?  I had to replace a router that kept giving me spotty signal in my bedroom a couple years ago but beyond that if you can watch an internet video you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 10:08:44 AM »
That is what started me as well.  Needed to get across a driveway and when that worked fine I went to the rest of the yard which is even closer to my show wifi router.  I even go across the street with my video camera and start/stop sequences to video them by having my phone connected to the the show wifi and then bring up the master FPP on a browser in the phone.  Now if someone could come up with a nice phone app to connect to the master.......