Author Topic: san devices  (Read 207 times)

Offline bobmanjr1

• Kudos: 0
san devices
« on: July 14, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »
I am using a computer for my show and last year only had a mega tree . this year I want 2 trees and other things such as snowflakes and arches . because of distance I am going to use a second e682 so my question is -

coming off the computer do I go to a router and then connect each of my cat5 cables from my e682 boxes to the router ? is this how everybody is doing this or is there a better way when you have multiple controllers ? what do you do in xlights to account for this ? I know each controller will have its own IP address but do I need to do anything else.

ps  i do not want to use a pi , thanks in advance.

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 6
Re: san devices
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 04:46:59 AM »
If you currently have it working straight off the computer, yes you would add a router to connect both devices with different IP addresses. In xlights you would have to set up another E1.31 device defining the channels and universes that you're going to use with the second e682 just like how you set up the first one.
Is there an easier way, that would depend on your layout.  you could put the router inside of one of the e682 enclosures so your CAT 5 cable could daisy chain to cut down on wire.

Offline jeff

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 01:28:04 PM »
Technically a switch is what you'd plug the computer and controllers into. Routers usually have switches built into them these days, but switches are usually cheaper since the routing function is not necessary.

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 03:15:24 PM »
Good catch Jeff I was thinking switch and said router probably because that's what he said.
But the same thing can apply to a router as well.

Offline jeff

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 05:03:12 PM »
Ya. Just wanted to be accurate. Didn't want him to buy a router if he doesn't need one - just complicates things further. :)