Author Topic: help needed with 32x32 p6 panels  (Read 128 times)

Offline bbayjohn

• Kudos: 0
help needed with 32x32 p6 panels
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:11:02 AM »
Hi All,
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/P6mm-Indoor-32x32pixel-SMD-Stage-LED-Display-Screen-unit-panel-module-size-192mm-x-192mm/32333219748.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.313.U7SMYM

I bought eight of these P6 panels a while back, was suggested in chat on another site. I would like to get them working with my BeagleBone Black and Octoscroller  I also have a Raspberry Pi 2.

I believe the issue with these panels is the 1/8 scan rate. I was wondering if anybody was clever enough to get them working yet ?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 72
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: help needed with 32x32 p6 panels
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 12:47:18 PM »
The 32x16 panels are also 1/8 scan. Are you choosing the 32x32 dropdown option ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline bbayjohn

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 02:59:57 AM »
Hi Jon & thanks for your reply
I have not powered these up yet because at the time the 32x32 option wasn't available and had a few reported flicker. marx1 was able to run p6 32x32 earlier in January this year using a pi hat.

CaptainMurdochs posts from sept 2015 re:p5 64x32
The code in FPP has a patch applied that came from Keith's fork.  It is the change that allows the code to drive fewer than 8 outputs to get a higher refresh.  FPP drives 4 outputs when using the 32-row panels.  Keith's patch adds a #define to allow you to compile the code to support anywhere from 1 to 8 outputs.  In FPP I set this to 4.

I have swept of the dust off these old p6 boards and will attempt to fire them up. If I can get them to work, we will update the ACL wiki also.
https://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/LED-Panel-compatibility

Offline bbayjohn

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:52:31 AM »
Well I found an update so now updated to Version: v1.9-50-gfe8e9a5  Host: FPPbbb
It's still not looking as it should. Checked the set up against the p10 panels. All arrows and outputs are correct. I know of a couple of other boards I could use. I thought that maybe it would be worth trying the bbb with p6 1/8 scan rate.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:43:01 AM »

The 32x32 code for the BBB on the "normal" 1.9 branch would only support the 1/16 scan panels, not the 1/8.  With the code on my branch for my latest image, it "might work" with with a single edit to one file to add the "32x32 1/8 Scan" type to the drop down.   It will either work, or it will mix up some rows. 

If someone wants to send me one panel, I'd be happy to get it working.  It shouldn't be too much work as the code should be very similar to the 1/4 scan panels.   Alternatively, if you can edit files on the BBB (do you know vim or nano?) and can run commands on the command line, I can help walk you through things that would need to be done and you can then report back and I can get it added to my branch.

For my branch, I'd LIKE to get as many of the various panel sizes and scan rates working as possible.   Everything other than the 1/32 scan panels should be possible to get working.   I just need samples of each panel or someone willing to help figure out how to get them working.

The 1/32 scan requires a custom Octoscroller (which I DO have), but the refresh on the 1/32 scan is so bad that connecting more than 2 per output has very visible flicker.  Thus, it's really not worth it.
Dan Kulp

Offline bbayjohn

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:16:04 AM »
Hi Dan , that makes sense now. Yes the panels did seem to mix up some rows and other errors like duplicating other panels. I'm not familiar with nano or vim, (sounds like fun) I have only recently looked into SSH commands and have downloaded putty. I'm about to put in another order with Ray, maybe I could get him to send you a sample board.