Author Topic: Pixel Controller  (Read 358 times)

Offline cardoc13

• Kudos: 0
Pixel Controller
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:15:22 PM »
What all falcon equipment am I going to need to run a pixel light show? A list of what all I need and if a falcon system will run with my lynks dmx. Thanks

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 6
Re: Pixel Controller
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »
I think your question brings up more questions than it does answers.
How do you plan on running them? Software? Computer or fpp?
How big do you want to go with the pixels what do you want to run with it?
Are you doing this on a budget do you want to buy equipment that you can grow into.
Do you already have pixels that you're trying to run and if so what type are they.

So here's a little info, the bad news is the Falcon won't run off of your lynx dongles if that's what you think you're going to be doing. The good news is if you have Lynx controllers or other things running in DMX they can be run off of the Falcon boards. The Falcons are controlled with an E1.31 connection which is different than what you've been doing.
So give us a little more info so we can better answer your questions. 

Offline cardoc13

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 06:18:02 PM »
I plan on running them off a desktop computer. I do not have any pixels yet. My show use to run off of 48 channel DMX controllers. Which I attend to use DMX to run a mega tree if possible. So I guess you can consider me to be a newbie just starting. I am planning on to grow bigger as time goes. I understand that the lynx dongle will not run the falcon. So I know I will have to purchase new. Yes I am on a budget but any advise on this that is budget friendly would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Cardoc13

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 62
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »
Hi. If you want to talk about your show give me a call.

Number is on PixelController.com

David
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »
I'll give you some advice assuming that you're using software that can run E1.31 and run the Falcon controllers.
It sounds like four pixels you're starting from scratch and I'm going to suggest the F-16 V3 over the F4 V3.
My reason is is the F-16 is going to give you more for your money if you got the F4 you may run out of space now or soon down the road and need to buy another which would end up costing you more than if you bought the F-16 up front.
Do a Google search for Ray wu and take a look at his store, I would suggest you pick a voltage and type of pixel to stick with for now. I strongly suggest the 2811 12-volt pixels for flexibility cost and ease-of-use because they don't suffer is bad from voltage drop plus a few other reasons.
Ray isn't the only one out there with pixels but he has a wide variety that you won't find many other places, look around and compare cost keeping in mind taxes and shipping.
All of the DMX stuff that you currently use can be run from the Falcon board eliminating the need for the dongle that you're currently using assuming your software will allow for it.
If you haven't already put your location in your profile to help connect with people in your area that might be able to help you out if you get stuck.
BIG hint most people here are using xlights, look into it because it won't cost you anything.

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 07:12:43 PM »
Dave's response is exactly why you know you have picked the right controller to go with. 

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 37
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
I Dave is very familiar with the Lynx products as he is a former user.  He even wrote firmware for the Lynx SSCs that is far better than the original frmware from Robert Jordan.  I know - I still use some SSCs with Falcon firmware.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP