Author Topic: Max Pixels for Differential Receiver  (Read 928 times)

Offline Chris A

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Join Date: Oct 2015
  • Location:
  • Posts: 86
  • Kudos: 0
Max Pixels for Differential Receiver
« on: July 21, 2017, 05:56:17 PM »
I have a F16V3 with an expansion board, differential expansion board, and a differential receiver. I am using 992 WS2811 pixels on the main board, 798 WS2811 pixels on the expansion board. I would like to put 900 WS2811 pixels on the differential receiver.  I am running everything at 40% power. Do I need more than one differential receiver? How many of the 4 ports on the differential expansion board would I need to use?

Thanks, Chris

Offline Emuney18

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Join Date: Nov 2015
  • Location: Apex, NC
  • Posts: 426
  • Kudos: 4
Re: Max Pixels for Differential Receiver
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 06:48:10 AM »
You can use the 1 receiver and I think you will need 2 ports. All those numbers will depend on how much power injection you want to do and what you are hooking them to.  I forget if you can have all 1020 go to a receiver port, but I don't think so. I am a bit curious why you are using both the main board and expansion board for that few of pixels?  I understand using the differential board.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chris A

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Join Date: Oct 2015
  • Location:
  • Posts: 86
  • Kudos: 0
Re: Max Pixels for Differential Receiver
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
You can use the 1 receiver and I think you will need 2 ports. All those numbers will depend on how much power injection you want to do and what you are hooking them to.  I forget if you can have all 1020 go to a receiver port, but I don't think so. I am a bit curious why you are using both the main board and expansion board for that few of pixels?  I understand using the differential board.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Thanks. The majority of the pixels on the main board and expansion board are for a mega tree. 19' Tall, 36 strands of 62 nodes, terminating at the top. I didn't want to power inject at the top. Each strand has it's own output on the Falcon Controller. I set this up many years ago before Falcon boards were available, maybe V1 was available but I didn't know about it. The E682 was the popular choice at the time and reducing the output wasn't available. Since I have the needed Falcon controllers, the pixels, the extension cables, and everything has been set up in X-lights and the controllers, I'm trying to minimize how much new stuff I need to learn each year. I know my mega tree worked last year and since I'm not changing any of the configuration, I can worry about screwing something else up instead.

 

Back to top