Author Topic: Testing the FPP LCD and bug report(not many)  (Read 5300 times)

Offline gdyrdave

• Kudos: 0
Testing the FPP LCD and bug report(not many)
« on: January 29, 2014, 04:03:22 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised when the new release came out late Monday evening. I got up Tuesday morning(around 6:30am) and saw there was an update( I leave the FPP on 24hrs/day). I shutdown the FPP and installed the Adafruit display. It loaded but for some reason I had to reboot twice. I found a new addition to the FPP settings to enable the display. I automatically rebooted but don't if I had to. The display came to life and I was impressed. Had to change the contrast level though. Then I put it through its paces (between the honey do list I had) and worked great however here is what I found so far:

This was on Tuesday. I have a schedule that executes a playlist every hour(Big Ben chimes..lol)
Tested all the functions. Backlight color, shutdown,reboot,and playlist. Worked ok except:

When in playlist function, there is no way to exit out. You need to let it timeout.

When reboot is selected it hangs. The console hung on the last operation prior to the Falcon splash screen. Had to power down.

It ran all night and this morning the lcd display hung on the 9am scheduled playlist. No buttons nothing but:

*   Playing             00:00   *
*                ben9                *

Everything else was ok. Console,network remote. I used the remote to reboot but the display remained the same. I had to shutdown the
    FPP and the display came back. That may be the display hardware causing it.  We'll see what happens tomorrow.

No other problems other than those above.

Now what I would like to see. Don't know if anyone will agree but here's mine:
   1. While a playlist is running I would like to see the display show the time left instead of elapsed time. Countdown.
   2  An option so show the IP addresses. Where E131 is going and the main address.
   3  Like to have control of the display to turn backlight on or off, put a message to it.

Thats just some of the things I have so far. Overall the display enhancement is a success and adds a little flair to this project. My next step is to come up with cable to remotely locate the display. Not far (inches) just to get it off the RP.

Maybe this thread should be the repository for bugs and requests so the developers have one place to look. Just a thought.

Dave

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 54
Re: Testing the FPP LCD and bug report(not many)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 04:27:53 PM »

When in playlist function, there is no way to exit out. You need to let it timeout.
Will look into this

When reboot is selected it hangs. The console hung on the last operation prior to the Falcon splash screen. Had to power down.
Does not happen on my LCD

It ran all night and this morning the lcd display hung on the 9am scheduled playlist. No buttons nothing but:

*   Playing             00:00   *
*                ben9                *

Everything else was ok. Console,network remote. I used the remote to reboot but the display remained the same. I had to shutdown the
    FPP and the display came back. That may be the display hardware causing it.  We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Ran mine before release on Monday night for 5 days straight - no hangups/lockups or anything with the LCD

Now what I would like to see. Don't know if anyone will agree but here's mine:
   1. While a playlist is running I would like to see the display show the time left instead of elapsed time. Countdown.
   2  An option so show the IP addresses. Where E131 is going and the main address.
   3  Like to have control of the display to turn backlight on or off, put a message to it.

#1 - the player daemon does not keep track of the current playing sequence like that - would take a whole rewrite
#2 - this is planed with many other status options, just has not made it into the python script yet
#3 - there is a option via the LCD already for constant on, or timeout for backlight

Myk

Offline gdyrdave

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 04:45:19 PM »
Thanks Tony, But confused.
Time left:
The time left show up on the net screen. I just couldn't understand why that couldn't be shown on the lcd. I guess lack of knowledge on my part.
My old fortran days kicking in I guess.

Hang ups:
  Thats why I made a comment on the display hardware. It may have a problem.

Suggestions:
 I would like to see in the playlist you can turn on the display when executed and off when finished. Just an indicator that a sequence is running.

Anyway just commenting on my observations and suggestions
Thanks for your input. Keep up the great work.

Dave

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 05:56:58 PM »
You are right on the time remaining - but only if you hit stop gracefully - then it switches to time remaining - otherwise its time elapsed

Myk

Offline gdyrdave

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »
 Here is a screen shot of the FPP status. I have a playlist with 4 items in it. I hit play and this is what I have. The line on the status screen "Player Status" shows the elapsed time and the time remaining for that particular item in the playlist. The time remaining is what I would like to see. Thats is just for a given item in the playlist. there is no stopping gracefully clicked.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:06:26 PM »
Just got off the phone with David and here is what we are gonna do:

on the main status screen the up/down arrows are not used - we are gonna use those to change the time displayed from elapsed/remaining - and it will remember your last setting.

We are also going to add a git update section, and a basic settings status screen

Tony

Offline gdyrdave

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 07:47:38 PM »
Sounds like a plan guys. Thanks for the support. Now I have to find out if I have a hardware problem with the lcd. I might have been just a power glitch.

Dave

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 04:31:39 AM »
Cool you guys released it. Now I'm really motivated to get this darn kitchen built so I can get back to task on my lighting projects!!  I'll try to get my Pi, fpd and LCD screen out this weekend to test. I like the idea of using buttons as described above!
Ryan

Offline gdyrdave

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 08:46:48 AM »
Thanks for the new release this morning. The change in the elapsed/time remaining work great. So does exiting the playlist menu. I found a couple of other problems.

If I start a playlist from the lcd, it will repeat. If I start it from the net screen it doesn't.

when the playlist is playing it will alternate between the audio and the sequence. That appears normal.

when the next item in the playlist that plays,music only no sequence, it still alternates with the current song and the last sequence played.
................................................................................................
  1  music1    no sequence
  2  music2     sequence 1     (normal)
  3  music3     no sequence   ( displays music3    sequence 1 )
  4  music4     sequence 2     (normal)
  5  music5     no sequence   ( displays music5    sequence 2 )
 ...............................................................................................

Just another observation.

Dave

Offline DonFL

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 10:48:24 AM »
I just added the display a few days ago, have done a little testing, not much. One observation after the latest release I saw loaded this morning, is if I go into the playlist screen on the lcd, I still tyoically can't get back out. I have to do a shutdown and reboot.

Based on gdyrdave's comments, it would appear that issue should be fixed, however, once I push "select" and get into the playlist menu, I can't go anywhere else.

It would appear what is taking me into that locked up status is a second push of the "status" button once I am in the playlist screen.

Its more likely operator error as opposed to a bug...what am i doing wrong (other than, pushing status a second time, which apparently creates the issue)?

Offline gdyrdave

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 11:04:20 AM »
If you are in the playlist mode, just hit the left or right button on the lcd. It should come right back to the status screen. It appears it wasn't updated. Did you try it again after the shutdown and startup? I had trouble with the update when it first came up. Shutdown and restarted worked fine.

Offline DonFL

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 11:16:38 AM »
Have duplicated the issue multiple times.

If you go into the playlist, hit "select" a second time. It appears to lock up the display, left/right buttons no longer get me out of the screen.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 61
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 11:34:18 AM »
Great observations guys. I appreciate the testing. I will look into the lock up and other errors.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline gdyrdave

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 11:56:04 AM »
I just tried what Don did. You click the select button twice it will play the sequence the right button still cycles through the menus and status screen. Do you have any playlists saved? Just a question but mine works fine except for the repeating of the playlist.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 61
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 11:56:24 AM »
  If I start a playlist from the lcd, it will repeat. If I start it from the net screen it doesn't.

So the LCD repeats which is good, but web interface does not repeat. So is this a bug more related to webpage?

when the playlist is playing it will alternate between the audio and the sequence. That appears normal.
  when the next item in the playlist that plays,music only no sequence, it still alternates with the current song and the last sequence played.

It should be alternating between playlist name and song/sequence name not song and sequence.