Author Topic: What gauge input?  (Read 454 times)

Offline brianweb

• Kudos: 0
What gauge input?
« on: July 31, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
Will it take a 10guage input wire?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 7
Re: What gauge input?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 05:58:52 PM »
Will WHAT take a 10 guage input wire?

Offline darylc

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »
Will WHAT take a 10 guage input wire?

We're in the F8-Distro forum here so it's pretty obvious :)

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 37
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 08:31:23 AM »
My 12 ga was pretty tight, but one never knows until you try it.  I cannot imagine using a 10g wire with a show except for maybe a real, real long distance from the the PS to a prop.  If had that kind of problem I would be putting my controller or PS right next to the prop even if I had to buy another controller or PS.  Sometimes I think we have a tendency to be penny wise and pound foolish.  In my 10 yrs of doing shows I have learned a lot and made my share of mistakes.  Having an extra equipment allows for growth for next year and with the addiction we all seem to have you know that growth never stops.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline brianweb

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 10:31:48 AM »
My 12 ga was pretty tight, but one never knows until you try it.  I cannot imagine using a 10g wire with a show except for maybe a real, real long distance from the the PS to a prop.  If had that kind of problem I would be putting my controller or PS right next to the prop even if I had to buy another controller or PS.  Sometimes I think we have a tendency to be penny wise and pound foolish.  In my 10 yrs of doing shows I have learned a lot and made my share of mistakes.  Having an extra equipment allows for growth for next year and with the addiction we all seem to have you know that growth never stops.
I was going by an online awg calculator which said 8 or 10 awg depending on the length for 30amps (the max of the board).  I can certainly make sure I don't load anywhere near that and use a smaller wire etc, was just trying to understand the physical limitations while I await the boards to ship.

Thanks,

Brian

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline jhoybs

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 04:59:45 AM »
Brian,

I'm new to pixels this year, so take this with a grain of salt.  The F8-Distro board is rated for 30A input; since my power supply is in the same enclosure as my F8-Distro's, I used 12 AWG stranded wire with in-line 30A fuse(s).  My wire distance is only 12 in - as Jim stated, if your wiring distance is very long, you are probably better off locating the PS and Distro closer to one another than running a 10 AWG wire.
Jim H.
Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, Lynx Expresses, Falcon Player, xLights