Author Topic: Pixel power vs brightness  (Read 367 times)

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 0
Pixel power vs brightness
« on: August 04, 2017, 07:28:19 AM »
This is my first year year doing pixels and I'm stuck trying to distribute power.  I intend to run my controller(s) at 50% on every channel.  I know best engineering practice would say to always plan for 100%/full power, but doing so causes lots of headaches with power injection and extra cabling.  How is everyone not running at 100% brightness designing their displays in regards to pixel power draw?

Jim H.
Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, Lynx Expresses, Falcon Player, xLights

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 38
Re: Pixel power vs brightness
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 09:14:46 AM »
My fear of designing for 50% is that someday, someone will accidentally screw up and then you have no safety margin.  Its always best to have some safety consideration when doing your design.  You are probably talking about saving a few dollars compared to the thousand that you will put into your show over the years.  I also have backup hardware available as insurance, I do not want to see my show go dark just because I pushed the envelope too hard, and that includes stressing myself.  Just my 2 cents.  btw the backup hardware is used for testing and repair action in the workshop while the show is up.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline jhoybs

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 05:44:23 PM »
Jim,

Totally agree on backups!  The only piece of hardware that I don't have a backup for is the F16v3.

In terms of sizing, cabling and pixels per power supply I'm good except for 2 mini-trees that draw 144W@100% on a 100W power supply.  I think at 50%, it probably will draw 75-80W, so I have a 20% safety factor at 50%.  If I were accidentally to light all-white at 100%, the power supply would probably just shut down.

Thanks!
Jim

Offline stidrvr

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 08:32:32 AM »
I've been using a spreadsheet that originated off the Model Export from xlights. I've been adding tabs to the sheet as I have been planning my first setup. My first tab is the original output from xlights that listed all of the models, node count, starting and ending channel, etc. I have been adding more columns for things like controller name, and controller port. I also recently added more columns for power distribution for similar things like which distribution board and which port. This is the main tab where all of the information is entered. I then have other tabs that auto populate based off the information on the main tab. I have it set to auto calculate based of the brightness percentage. Each controller port displays what the maximum amperage draw is at full white depending on what percentage I select. I also added the number of power supplies need for each controller based off the amount of pixels on the controller.

Offline aknflyer

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 10:39:53 PM »
Would you mind posting a copy stidrvr? Sounds like something that might be better than mine.